• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved this episode. It was on point with every step of the way. Mizushima loves to beyond the norm with his comedy and I could see his influence in spades with Kinoshita's entrance to the book publisher's headquarters. Also seeing Aoi turn on the waterworks after Zuka read the line "I'm a step closer to reaching my dream" was quite moving. I personally think that line was the one that the header writer had let stand from Midori's draft though I have no basis for it.

I do believe that Sentai has already licensed this title for NA release though. They sure picked a winner.
DragonirTheSage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

I really hoping this show ends up getting picked up by NISA cause I'd buy it right away.

Shirobako is licensed by Sentai Filmworks. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-shirobako-celestial-method-wolf-girl-and-black-prince-anime/.80585
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:16 pm Reply with quote
DragonirTheSage wrote:
Barbobot wrote:

I really hoping this show ends up getting picked up by NISA cause I'd buy it right away.

Shirobako is licensed by Sentai Filmworks. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-02/sentai-filmworks-adds-shirobako-celestial-method-wolf-girl-and-black-prince-anime/.80585

Well that's disappointing. I'll still probably get it, but would have definitely preferred NISA's higher quality premium sets for this show.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic episode.

The show (including in the opening) has been making references to how the five Third Aerial Girls Squad pilot characters are related to the five girls from the club. Not so perfect as to be boring, but there's an obvious symmetry in Zuka trying out for the role of Catherine, the pilot who died / was left behind (and then playing her sister.) There's an obvious connection between Aria and Miyamori Aoi as well- both are the main characters, and they emphasis how neither of them expressly has dreams of their own but find their passion and dreams in supporting others. It's been clear in other episodes, but this episode really drove it home.

That's why I disagree with Rose's claim-- Kinoshita is NOT the real hero of Shirobako, it's Aoi, just as it's Aria in Third Aerial Girls Squad. The show is arguing not just for respecting creators and directors and those with vision, but also those who support, the everyday salarymen and in-betweeners and others that help make the dreams come true for the artistic types with vision or the management types with leadership. All are necessary.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was truly an awesome episode, great payoff for what has happened in the show.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Well that's disappointing. I'll still probably get it, but would have definitely preferred NISA's higher quality premium sets for this show.

It would be nice if Sentai releases collector's edition for Shirobako because there are so many references only the hardcore otaku could recognize.

Anyway, PA Works is taking pre-order for their gorgeous Shirobako art book set. I already have their Nagi no Asukara art book set so I'm going to order it.

Please don't overquote. --willag
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
This was the first time I actually cried while watching an anime in years. That last scene was so effective. Couldn't stop and i needed a moment after watching that to calm down. Such an excellent episode. Quite possibly my favourite anime of all time next to Stand Alone complex and Birdy The Mighty: Decode.

Definitely gonna pick up as many of the artbooks as i can for this show.

Crying or Very sad
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Well that was among the two or three best episodes of any show this season. Not much else to say really. Shirobako hasn't been one of those shows that has me counting down the days to the next episode, but it has been consistently entertaining. And the latest episode took it to a higher level - lots of pay-offs from long-running plot and character arcs and all very well handled.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 am Reply with quote
I was screaming like a kid at an amusement park when Nogame yelled at @sshole editor. Him getting fired was just the cream of the crop. Add Kinoshita's belly attacks and Zuka showing up and we have the perfect episode.

The only thing I can ask more of this series is another season(I think one cour should be enough) were the girls have a bigger role.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:49 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the surprise success of Shirobako will lead towards more series starring women in the workforce. It's definitely a path that's not been taken as much in otaku trends.
Ferax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
S2 when?
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
And it ends.

And now I'm sad.

And I want more.

Seriously, this could be one of my all-time favorites. I usually meassure how much I like in how urgent it is for me to watch it when I see it's out. And Shirobako was one of the few that always made me throw out everything else for the sake of watching it.

There were smaller scenes that I really liked about this episode, such as when they showed us that Taro and Hiraoka are surprisingly fast at their desk work, or when Endo is shown surprised at seeing Segawa at the office (we've heard them talking about each other, but we never truly saw them talking until now).

And finally, at the party, when all the staff gathered together. It's hard to remember every single name, but probably most of us could at least name their profession and how they contributed to the show.

Yeah, this was a fine last episode.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 grade: A+

This was another awesome episode. The ending was strong, but I would not mind seeing more. I gave the series a Very good rating.

I think that a Shirobako movie about the characters making a movie would be nice. I imagine the process of making an anime movie would be different enough from the process of making a series.

Rose Bridges wrote:
since Shirobako is wildly popular in Japan

Going strictly by BD/DVD sales numbers, this is an exaggerated statement. The 50k+ per volume that Attack on Titan averaged make it wildly popular. The 10k+ that Shirobako is currently averaging does not strike me a wildly popular.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the final episode.

Shirobako is one of the best anime series I've ever seen. This final episode had me laughing and then crying. Just incredible.

And the animation quality in this episode - in the middle when they're going all over Japan to deliver the tapes - was amazing. I mean, there'd be a two-second shot of the Shinkansen speeding through this intricate detailed landscape and every detail was done beautifully.

Shirobako has just been a quality show from the beginning, through every episode, and now to the very end. I am absolutely buying the DVDs when they come out.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Going strictly by BD/DVD sales numbers, this is an exaggerated statement. The 50k+ per volume that Attack on Titan averaged make it wildly popular. The 10k+ that Shirobako is currently averaging does not strike me a wildly popular.

Surely those numbers are amazing for a two-cour, anime original? Especially considering the subject matter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11