• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shirobako

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Going strictly by BD/DVD sales numbers, this is an exaggerated statement. The 50k+ per volume that Attack on Titan averaged make it wildly popular. The 10k+ that Shirobako is currently averaging does not strike me a wildly popular.

Surely those numbers are amazing for a two-cour, anime original? Especially considering the subject matter.

I agree that Shirobako's numbers are great, but I do not think they make the anime wildly popular (in Japan at least).
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
What a great finale to a wonderful series. I will miss it dearly. Cue tears the moment Ema insisted on drawing Zuka's scene. And they didn't stop coming until after the credits had rolled.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Held up my last donut and said the words alongside them at the end there. This show was too good and i'm so sad it's over. Gonna be a while before i enjoy a show to this extent. Gonna miss watching the gangs weekly adventures. Such a great ending too.
1idd0kun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Going strictly by BD/DVD sales numbers, this is an exaggerated statement. The 50k+ per volume that Attack on Titan averaged make it wildly popular. The 10k+ that Shirobako is currently averaging does not strike me a wildly popular.

Anything above 10k is really popular (and Shirobako will probably reach around 15k). Anything above 30k is a rare super hit. That's not just widely popular but super popular. It doesn't happen as often as you think so it's more the rare exception.

All in all, Shirobako is a hit.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I think its great (however unlikely, but I love Shirobako so I forgive it) that it looked like Shizuka already got another role now that she's done a voice in Third Aerial Girls. The montage shows her reading lines for some other show.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I think its great (however unlikely, but I love Shirobako so I forgive it) that it looked like Shizuka already got another role now that she's done a voice in Third Aerial Girls.
She's voicing a nameless character ("Girl C") in "Prince of Baseball", which is something we've already seen her do in one of the earlier episodes. So it's not exactly getting another role, and not that unlikely either. The only improvement is that she's getting proper dialogue this time, as opposed to shouting random cheers in a crowd.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
The ending of episode 23 was one of the finest moments of anime I have seen. The heartfelt emotions overwhelming Aoi as she watches her long-suffering friend finally get her first break and the synchronicity of her final line with the reality of her, and all of the anime club girls', lives was just perfect. They are closer to realizing their dream now that they all have worked on a project together!

The topper, of all of the girls getting their hands into the pot for the pivotal scene that saved the show from being either depressing or a failure in terms of missing deadlines due to massive re-writes, was equally well done. Watching Ema cry as she draws the images that Zuka's will be accompanied by Zuka's voice, along with the others' contributions, was fantastic.

BTW, it wasn't JUST the cow research that Midori contributed. She was asked to write the rough draft of the scene itself, as the head writer had done for a few scenes already, and she reported to Aoi that he actually used one of her lines, so that scene also represents the first time that something that Midori actually wrote appeared on screen, with the 3D work by Misha, the key animation by Ema, and the voice work by Zuka, and Aoi watching over it all to make sure it gets done on time. Really wonderful ending! I wished I had a donut to toast along with them.

I loved the admiration for Ema that came from her supervisors in this episode as well. From the "Her lines look a lot like yours" "Oh, I thought they looked like yours" comments to the comments about "Team Emichii" as she took the lead on the Lucy segment, with her shy protege helping out and the aging veteran who took her under his wing providing the animal animation. It was really neat to see Ema as the confident leader of an animation team instead of the self-conscious bundle of nerves she was in the first half.

I would so love to see another season of this wonderful show! Really, there is no reason that they couldn't keep milking it for all it's worth, right up to the girls getting enough clout to make their Seven Lucky Battle Gods feature film! (Interestingly, they don't seem to have a director... Do you suppose that they will all become favorites of Kinoshita and they will convince him to do their movie?
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
Finally saw the last episode. They didn't flub the ending - thank god. So many shows this season have dropped the ball in their last episode or couple of episodes: Parasyte, KanColle, Rolling Girls, Maria the Virgin Witch, Aldnoah, possibly even Your Lie In April (though I'm more conflicted on that last one). I watched a lot of finales this week and only Shirobako and Cross Ange managed to go out with "hell yeah" endings.

This has been a very solid show from start to finish. It's done a remarkable job of balancing "informative" with "entertaining". It's also avoided the trap of other anime-about-anime/manga/games of drawing its themes so tightly that they only apply to one particular industry.

This is probably the best anime about working ever made. Previous shows about the workplace - Wagnaria, The Devil is a Part Timer, Yu Shibu and so on, have tended to focus on low-end part-time jobs filled with very young people - probably angling for what the creators thought would be relatable to an otaku audience. Shirobako, on the other hand, show's us a "normal" white-collar workplace that could be mapped across to any number of other fields. It has amusing characters and situations, but it never steps outside the bounds of plausibility. Its situations and crises - the unreliable third party contractor, the customer who can't define quite what he wants, the hangover inducing post-deadline drinks, the constant drip of cynicism from the office burn-out - are all things that anybody who's worked in an office for any length of time will have come across.

Similarly, some of the deeper themes - like questioning whether your "dream job" is actually what you wanted after all, or learning how to work alongside people with very different motivations or attitudes to you - are things that most people will go through over the course of a career. The show handles them intelligently and doesn't rush to easy answers. Full credit for that.

One of the few shows from the last two seasons that I will still remember in two years time, I suspect.
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
It might sound self-indulgent, but I would like to see a possible future season feature some element about the overseas market. It would be great to get an inside look at how these characters view the international appeal of their work. Also, that "action sequence" in the last episode, though punched up for dramatic affect, really makes me wonder how they would get material ready in time for simulcast. (Maybe Shirobako exists in a time before Crunchyroll was a thing, which I imagine Dragonroll would be the equivalent of in this series universe.) If that rush to deliver tapes is anything to go by, getting episodes ready for simulcast must be an act of God.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, great ending. Miyamori's speech was a little cheesy, but it works. Seeing all the staff relaxing and joking around during the end credits was really heartwarming. This is one of best anime shows I've seen in a long time. Rose is completely spot on with the ending. It's perfect mix of having enough closure but still open-ended enough for more material. Bring on season 2!

SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Shirobako has just been a quality show from the beginning, through every episode, and now to the very end. I am absolutely buying the DVDs when they come out.

I really hope Sentai does a dub for this, regardless, this show's an instant buy for me as well.

Rogueywon wrote:
This is probably the best anime about working ever made.

Read my mind. This show pretty covers everything that happens to many people during their working careers. Miyamori and the rest of the main girls, especially, are pretty realistic depictions of the struggles that many working professionals in their 20's go through. The writers also did an excellent job with the very naturalistic interactions among the characters. I also loved all the subtle jokes and references about anime and the industry in general. Stuff like "We can't ask the old guy to draw moe!" and "I like Ava, but I've only seen the movies" were pretty funny.

@angelmcazares,brankoburcksen, I'd also like for a season 2 to do something with producing an anime movie or something with the international market.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
This is probably the best anime about working ever made.

While I certainly think Shirobako was one of the better shows I've seen in the past couple of years, it's dewy-eyed optimism about the Japanese workplace, and especially the role of women, needs to be tempered by watching Hataraki Man.

Aoi seemed unusually assertive and effective in her job, especially so when she was dealing with male superiors. I wondered how realistic that was even in the context of an anime studio. I doubt she would be as influential had she begun working for a bank like her sister. I suspect her sister's experiences are more representative of real-life working conditions than Aoi's.

In NHK ni Youkoso! we see a few scenes of Kashiwa working in a governmental agency. As an intelligent and dedicated young lady, she makes a few reasonable suggestions to improve the agency's performance and is thwarted at every turn.

I also wonder how Aoi could afford an apartment of her own in one of the world's most expensive cities based on her likely salary.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
I think it was clear Musaani was depicted as an exceptional company, a bunch of highly passionate creative people, rather than some of the more less nice places to work. You can see the central girls are quite lucky in their place of work. Although I do agree it has an unrealistically positive look on working in Tokyo, I'm surprised they put some of the harder experiences in there for a feel good piece. Shizuka's failing attempts to get into voice acting, Hiraoka's jaded work experience, Misa's fulfilling salary work.

Despite it's flaws in terms of it's realism, I can't understate how much I loved this series.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that the series can be accused of excessive optimism at times, it still was a fantastic and realistic enough ride, with assertive female characters that nevertheless can be found attractive without being too moe or cliché at all and without a romantic subplot to drag everything down (although maybe I wouldn't have minded considering how laid back it was at handling other very important matters).

A truly great work that hopefully will be remembered as fondly as it deserves.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
Also, that "action sequence" in the last episode, though punched up for dramatic affect, really makes me wonder how they would get material ready in time for simulcast. (Maybe Shirobako exists in a time before Crunchyroll was a thing, which I imagine Dragonroll would be the equivalent of in this series universe.) If that rush to deliver tapes is anything to go by, getting episodes ready for simulcast must be an act of God.

My understanding at the moment is that even if they are "simulcast" a web stream is less of a "disaster" if it isn't strictly on-time. Since the TV station needs to keep to a schedule with linear content, it's an absolute MUST that the content arrives in time for broadcast. OTOH, with a webstream, almost all of the time (there are exceptions, altho fewer and farther between) webstreams are "on demand" and thus available to people until pulled.

I give all that preamble to note that I can say for a FACT that at least a couple of CrunchyRoll simulcasts have been "late". I know of at least 1 that was an hour or two behind schedule to show up, since I have watched some within minutes of release and one episode (not the first one, but some episode in the middle) for a series I was watching gave a "episode is delayed" message and didn't "broadcast" until an hour or two after it was originally scheduled. Interesting to thinking about events in Shirobako and how applicable they might've been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11