• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Deadline Site: Scarlett Johansson Offered Ghost in the Shell Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laceblade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
kdmccaskill wrote:
Does anyone have any problem with this having no Japanese or asian actors, I would even settle for half white/ asian mix race actors

Yes.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
As far as casting a non-Japanese actress for the role goes, I would have a big problem if the story was actually going to still take place in Japan. At this point there is probably zero chance in hell of that happening, and I expect most of the characters to be Americanized. You might actually see one of them still be of Japanese decent considering all the ethnicities we host, but otherwise it would be sort of ridiculous to expect a Japanese cast on an American production likely taking place in America.

I'm pretty sure the 1995 film took place in Hong Kong.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Eivion wrote:
As far as casting a non-Japanese actress for the role goes, I would have a big problem if the story was actually going to still take place in Japan. At this point there is probably zero chance in hell of that happening, and I expect most of the characters to be Americanized. You might actually see one of them still be of Japanese decent considering all the ethnicities we host, but otherwise it would be sort of ridiculous to expect a Japanese cast on an American production likely taking place in America.

GitS? It's been a while since I last watched the film, but I'm almost 100% positive that a took place in Japan. I don't think it was specifically stated in the movie, but Japan was still recovering from another world war, and there are numerous Chinese refugees living in the cities.

Even if it takes place in Hong Kong, all the members of Public Security Section 9 are Japanese (or have close ties to Japan).
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Like most Hollywood live-action anime adaptations, I'm not exactly holding my breath that live-action Ghost in the Shell will ever get out of development hell.

How many times now has live-action Akira almost gone into production "totally for realz this time guys"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Eivion wrote:

GitS? It's been a while since I last watched the film, but I'm almost 100% positive that a took place in Japan. I don't think it was specifically stated in the movie, but Japan was still recovering from another world war, and there are numerous Chinese refugees living in the cities.

Even if it takes place in Hong Kong, all the members of Public Security Section 9 are Japanese (or have close ties to Japan).

It's definitely at least the model: http://randomwire.com/recreating-ghost-in-hong-kong/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Teens sell in anime; whites sell in America. It's business.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
The issue of Americanizing a Japanese character for film carries as much weight if it were the opposite. Also, we aren't the Japanese rights holders who give the nod for American companies to do this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
#825: The reason people don't like it is because it's deliberately slighting people because of their color and/or ethnicity. Japan is homogenous, so finding someone who's black or white over there who can play the role and speak the language is a lot harder than it is here, where you just drive to Little Tokyo, Koreatown, or Chinatown.

teferi: Again, see above. How many non-Asian people live in those places most of the time?

Gate:
Quote:
Let's remember that some Japanese fans were upset that a Chinese-Malaysian woman was cast as a geisha in Memoirs of a Geisha,

Actually, the Japanese seemed to go along with it better than the Chinese, ironically enough.
WYfox

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:

GitS? It's been a while since I last watched the film, but I'm almost 100% positive that a took place in Japan.

The film(s) took place in HK, while SAC (series and movie) and the manga are based in Japan.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I could care less who has the parts, only that they make a good movie that is true to Shirow's Ghost in the Shell.

Unfortunately the odds of hollywood actually getting it right with anime series is very slim to none. and "pepper" as major? HELL NO!

I would prefer Angelina Jolie as the major instead of that nitwit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Teens sell in anime; whites sell in America. It's business.

I will agreed with you on that post, but there's been some changes in the race casting when it comes to Asian in the US media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hidders

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Pre-Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie would have been amazing as Major. Where she was still nitty-gritty IRL and not off saving the world one child at a time.

I can't really see any well known actress playing Major well. I would like to see a fresh face from the stage-theater scene. Someone who knows how to emote through their eyes in a way that would make you think there's a ghost in that body while keeping their face cyborg-blank. Maybe get them some smize lessons from Tyra Banks.

As it stands, if Johansson does accept and the movie does get made I'm just going to forget it even exists just like I did with "Dragonball: Evolution".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Hidders wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Pre-Brad Pitt Angelina Jolie would have been amazing as Major. Where she was still nitty-gritty IRL and not off saving the world one child at a time.

Who cares what she does on her free time
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
While the I think she's a decent choice,I really don't have high hopes for it considering the director. I think it's just going to end up being some mindless action flick.

Pretty much. Even if it does wind up getting made, it'll barely resemble the source material after it goes through a board of hollywood execs and audience focus testing.
ishmael

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

It's the writing and directing I'm concerned about.

So much this.

It doesn't matter who plays the Major. They can Americanize it, and still keep the essence of the source material, in the end, it doesn't matter much if the character's blonde or Japanese or named Lucy or Mokoto (though I'd prefer the latter), and who gets the part doesn't matter much. Honestly, it's not as if Mokoto would be Oscar-worthy interpretation. The script and directing is what will decide if the movie's a forgettable adaptation, or if it's actually worthwhile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5