• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Psycho-Pass 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
So then... do we know whether this film takes place before or after Season 2? Because I thought people said it was after, but if spoiler[dead/insane characters aren't dead/insane anymore,] then... I have no idea. I haven't particularly looked into this myself yet, since I don't actually want to spoil the movie for myself.
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
it's set something around 2 years after s2
2117 i think
of course i have no source on that
(s2 ends on the 1/1/2115 according to official timeline)
as for continuity, Sugo and Sho are in div1, Gino has a ponytail, Mika is still a huge pain in the ass and the assault dominator is used as a sniper (turns out shooting blindly isn't such a great idea after all).
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
qberr wrote:
it's set something around 2 years after s2
2117 i think
of course i have no source on that
(s2 ends on the 1/1/2115 according to official timeline)
as for continuity, Sugo and Sho are in div1, Gino has a ponytail, Mika is still a huge pain in the ass and the assault dominator is used as a sniper (turns out shooting blindly isn't such a great idea after all).

So it is after season 2, good. Sounds like the movie's gonna wrap up the entire thing. Too bad Mika is still around, but I can't wait for the return of Kogami! I'm hoping Funimation can get this movie out here asap. I'll go nuts if this gets a Eva 3.33-length delay Sad
qberr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
it's not gonna wrap up anything
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
why are you so sure it won't?
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
If you want to blame anyone for the delay of 3.33 , blame Khara. Supposedly Anno thinks so highly of his bastard child that Funimation was forced to redo (Pun not intended) the whole dub under the watchful eye of representatives of Khara because they approached it much the same way as the (Fantastic) dubs of the first two movies and they seem to think it deserved special treatment... or something. Apparently they also requested the English subtitles be replaced with Khara's own. I don't know why such an awful movie deserves special treatment but who cares what's going on in Anno's head anymore?

Anyway, I better stop there so I don't go too far off topic but the point is that the same thing is probably not going to happen to the PP Movie. Before Khara screwed it all up they were actually pretty quick to announce Eva 3.33's release date. Then again, the Strike Witches Movie has been out since early 2012 and Funi still has no release date. The Steins;Gate Movie from early 2013 also has no release date. Who knows how long we'll have to wait for Funi to release it?

Although unlike the latter two examples Funimation picked up the PP movie pretty early and they also simuldubbed this abomination so maybe they have something special planned. We'll just have to wait and see.
qberr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
why are you so sure it won't?
it depends on what you mean with "wrap things up"
the premise is Sibyl going global, the worst/best it can happen is Sibyl thinking going global is a bad idea.

next is some really mild spoilers (not plot, just what to expect, a general outline without the twists)
spoiler[it's mostly just Akane in shambaladamba floats uncovering shambalamba floats intrigues/conspiracies, her interaction with Kogami is a bit small (they have bigger shit to think about when they meet, usually people either torturing them or pointing guns at them)
div1 doesn't even come to shambalbmada floats until the last part of the movie(right at the climax)
there's a really [expletive] nice moment between Gino and Kog when Gino re-estabilishes his role as Akane's big-brother figure, a nice scene that just makes you go "GINO fudge YEAH".]

death spoilers next:
spoiler[NOBODY from div1 dies, Kogami survives(he just jobs a lot), only deaths are the movie characters]
possibility of sequel spoilers next:
spoiler[last scene is Kogami in a car, might imply him going back to Japan for a s3, might imply fudge all, the possibility IS there, especially since the aforementioned Gino scene would let him go against Akane without too much issues, character-wise]

overall a nice movie with Akane and Kogami character development, twists, conspiracies and whatnot, but leaves the opportunity for another season or whatever.
It's basically what s2 should've been.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
qberr wrote:
it depends on what you mean with "wrap things up"
the premise is Sibyl going global, the worst/best it can happen is Sibyl thinking going global is a bad idea.
overall a nice movie with Akane and Kogami character development, twists, conspiracies and whatnot, but leaves the opportunity for another season or whatever.
It's basically what s2 should've been.

Yeah, by "wrap things up", I meant finish the current story arc/line. Of course, I didn't mean the the complete and final end to the entire series. And I pretty much had the same thought after seeing the trailer. The movie will have something to do with Sybil going global, some Akane and Kogami couple scenes, etc. Your movie plot predictions were interesting (and mostly hilarious). I wouldn't be surprised if at least half of it turns out to be true. In any case, I say bring on s3! (just not the s2 writers).

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Although unlike the latter two examples Funimation picked up the PP movie pretty early and they also simuldubbed this abomination so maybe they have something special planned. We'll just have to wait and see.

I liked the dub for s1, but I don't think I'll getting the PP 2 blu-rays either, anytime soon, lol. I forgot that Funimation picked up the PP movie already so I hope we get a nice special/collector's edition for it.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

1) Sybil is judging "members of collectives as parts of a person" and that it's problematic because "we can cast judgement on people not related to the actual crimes", which is a perfectly valid point. Here's my issue: if that's the case, then why does Kamui try convince Sybil to pass judgements on a collective instead of an individual?

Because it works both ways, and Sybil can now be judged. He wants the seeds sown for the system to overthrow itself. His motivation wasn't altruistic, it was basically "the system doesn't acknowledge me so it sucks."
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
I feel that Hope missed something in the final episode. In her review she complains about the fact that "Momma Tougane" was read as 300+ and destroyed. The whole point of that sequence is that the Sibyl System had enabled "Collective Psycho Pass" reading for collective entities. It was established that it is possible for the collective to have a criminally high psycho pass even when the individuals that comprise the collective are all clear. Hence, the reading that Kamui got was for the Sibyl System collectively. Sybil's solution to this was to determine which of the member brains were responsible for the high reading and to delete them.

I also disagree with your comment that Akane being offered a spot in the collective is wrong because she isn't CA. It is very clear that Akane is CA, with the proviso that she hasn't actually committed crimes. She has the characteristics that makes someone Criminally Asymptomatic, she just doesn't commit crimes. A normal person would be impacted by the brutal murder of one of their closest relatives. While she showed emotion about it, it did nothing to her Psycho Pass reading. The fact that she is a high functioning sociopath, as Sherlock would say, doesn't mean that she is not a sociopath. In the end, it is all just pseudo science anyway...
qberr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
collective reading has nothing to do with momma togane getting read, as momma togane isn't a collective
introducing CAs into the brain jars also serves the purpose of being able to scan CAs (they function as additional ALUs that can supposedly analyze similar CAs).
so momma Togane basically wasn't CA anymore, they simply let Kirito's dominator read what was there
zensunni wrote:
It is very clear that Akane is CA
please stop
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The fact that she is a high functioning sociopath, as Sherlock would say...

LOL no. Akane is not a sociopath. She has displayed - on countless occasions - an emotional concern for other people, and she has a strong moral code. Plus she pines for Kogami and can empathise with her subordinates.

So please drop this ridiculous and frankly hilarious line of reasoning. You're not fooling anyone except perhaps yourself.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Because it works both ways, and Sybil can now be judged. He wants the seeds sown for the system to overthrow itself. His motivation wasn't altruistic, it was basically "the system doesn't acknowledge me so it sucks."

So Sybil itself is guilty. Does it care? and why would Sybil want to overthrow itself? After all, it's the one in charge. It's clear the Kamui's motive was to judge Sybil, but for what? He gets a 300+ reading on one of the brains, he's satisfied Sybil is guilty, and then he lets Togane spoiler[shoot him]. So he dies happy and thats it? The reason I'm asking all these questions because I didn't think any of these plot points worked at all within the story.

zensunni wrote:
The fact that she is a high functioning sociopath, as Sherlock would say, doesn't mean that she is not a sociopath.

As [b]dtm42
already mentioned, there are plenty of times where you see her concerned, worried, or crying, etc. about others.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
It is very clear that Akane is CA, with the proviso that she hasn't actually committed crimes. She has the characteristics that makes someone Criminally Asymptomatic, she just doesn't commit crimes. A normal person would be impacted by the brutal murder of one of their closest relatives. While she showed emotion about it, it did nothing to her Psycho Pass reading. The fact that she is a high functioning sociopath, as Sherlock would say, doesn't mean that she is not a sociopath. In the end, it is all just pseudo science anyway...

dtm42 wrote:
LOL no. Akane is not a sociopath. She has displayed - on countless occasions - an emotional concern for other people, and she has a strong moral code. Plus she pines for Kogami and can empathise with her subordinates.

You are both right
qberr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:09 am Reply with quote
first volume sold 7k+ (5.5k BD, rest are DVDs)
i threw up a bit in my mouth

i hope at least the middle volumes get shit sales, i sure don't want IG to pull this crap again
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 27