• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO THE ANIMATION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garudyne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about Garo now. Some episodes are good, while others are pretty weak. On one hand it's a charming (and sometimes very well directed) anime, but on the other hand it can be pretty typhical, and the animation quality obviously fluctates. I do like Garo, and it's one of my favorite anime of 2014... still, wish it could'e been better than it is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 12
Well, that plan certainly didn't come together. He said, "Stand up" Leon, not "Jump off." oO
Lord of the Fleas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 12:
Quote:
Thematically, her suicide feels like a prelude to Alfonso's potential tragedy - he could end up stupidly self-sacrificing if he keeps denying himself as a person - but it would have worked better if the sacrifice had been shown.

spoiler[
Well, at least her suicide (including the method) was foreshadowed at the end of episode 10.

As for Alfonso's harsh reaction to León, Alfonso had been portrayed as feeling pretty strongly about the ideals of the Makai Knights. I can understand his disappointment in León, as he was supposed to be the greatest of them but ended up causing damage on Mendozas's scale. ]
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
it was a painful 3 weeks wait, but IT WAS ALL DAMN SO WORTH IT!
itachi06103570

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
I agree with everything the review said so nothing more needs to be said with the exception of me really thinking that the first op( I miss that thing sooooooooo damn much) speaks of revenge while the new one for the second half speaks of redemption and it shows because leon really is getting accustom to living a life without the responsibility of being the golden knight and just taking his time and taking in everything instead of focusing just on revenge
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Did it improve this much to "B+" in later episodes? Is is as good as Bahamut or Parasyte?

Not even close. It's nowhere near as good as Bahamut and it's not even close to the league Parasyte is. ANN is just very lenient on it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
Or maybe people just have different opinions on stuff. Who would've thought?! Rolling Eyes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Or maybe people just have different opinions on stuff. Who would've thought?! Rolling Eyes

Some things cannot be excused with "lol, opinions".
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

Some things cannot be excused with "lol, opinions".

you're giving your OPINIONS also though. The show might not be as good to you as Parasyte and Bahamut but there are people who think otherwise. I know! crazy right? And Garo doesn't have to be as "good" as Parasyte and Bahamut to justify the fact that it's good. Garo just keep being Garo with those sexpositions and I'll watch the hell out of it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Except "ANN" is not a monolithic entity when it comes to reviews--Garo is reviewed by Gabriella Ekens, Parasyte by Nick Creamer, and Rage of Bahamut by Rose Bridges. That's three different people, each with her or his own opinions on the shows they review.

Personally, I'd rate Garo above Rage of Bahamut. Garo is becoming a show that I wish I could just marathon.

LOL at Ms. Ekens using German's metaphor for prostitute ("Butterfly of the Night") to describe Leon. Wonder what he'd think--oh, I guess he barely thinks about his son these days. Hey, German, your brilliant combo of "hands off" and "tough love" parenting styles basically drove your son to attempt suicide, and you can't even be bothered to find out where he is, you lackadaisical bastard! If she could, Anna would scold you from beyond the grave! You don't deserve to be rewarded with an awesome love interest!

Not that he needs you, as the writers made sure that he was rescued by a nice family with a girl around his age, who will teach him the value of physical labor and simple living. I enjoyed watching Leon slowly warm up to his foster family, which I measured through the subtle changes in his facial expression. They showed his hardened depression gradually change to subtle smiles perfectly, although I didn't detect any hint of attraction to Lara yet. Sure, he was flustered when she tried to strip him--it's a common anime gag, and something that would fluster any boy in real life. What I saw was Lara blushing furiously when Leon finally opened up enough to tell her his name, which indicates to me that *she* will win *him* over. She's a kind, outgoing and talkative type while he is definitely more of a moody introvert. She'll be good for him!

As for Alfonso, I have this bad feeling he'll be used as a bad guy (maybe via mind control) just because that's where the story seems to be headed. I don't want that to happen. Prove me wrong, show!
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Did it improve this much to "B+" in later episodes? Is is as good as Bahamut or Parasyte?

Not even close. It's nowhere near as good as Bahamut and it's not even close to the league Parasyte is. ANN is just very lenient on it.

Like Agent 355 said, Parasyte and Bahamut weren’t reviewed by me, so you can’t conclude that I (much less ANN) consider GARO better than them. All three are good shows, but I happens that, yeah, I personally rank GARO above both Parasyte and Bahamut. Bahamut was stock besides the gorgeous production while Parasyte has some not-insignificant issues in both storytelling and presentation. Namely, it tends to sacrifice female characters to further Shinichi’s development and the sound design is kind of a mess. You can find similar stuff to pick at with GARO (it seems to be heading in a similar direction with its female characters, for example) - the deal is that I just happen to not mind its issues as much and thus enjoy the show more than other reviewers might. It’s “subjective,” yeah, but also completely unavoidable – your preference for Bahamut and Parasyte over GARO is also subjective, as would be anyone else’s. Art is an inherently subjective, human construct. Deal with it.

It’s probably not a good idea to use Daily Streaming Review grades as metric for one show’s quality over another. I can only speak for myself, but the further I get into a show, the more grades become evaluations of an episode’s quality relative to previous ones rather than a measure of a show’s quality against all other shows. For me, a B for Sailor Moon Crystal means something completely different than a B for Fate/stay night, since they’re shows with different trajectories, histories, and aims. This was a great episode in the grand scale of GARO episodes, so it got an A. Grades are also always subsidiary to the 1000 or so words of analysis that accompany them, so use that to get a better read on how/why I think a show succeeds and fails.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The music while they were building the irrigation ditch was really nice. But it was so melancholy it felt like they were planting death flags on everyone. I'm not exactly sure what they were trying to convey with that choice.
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
This show is boring. I wonder why they feel the need for a second season.
Durga

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yasuko Kobayashi's handling of women has never great outside of faithful adaptations. Witchblade was pretty sexist from what I recall, and Kamen Rider OOO turned a main female character's super strength into a dumb joke and never let her fight. She's written some good stuff, but she writes very male-focused stuff that often excludes women and sometimes indulges in sexist writing.

Not that the Garo franchise was particularly great with women before Kobayashi wrote this version. At best, they were supporting roles like Ema and damsels in distress at worst.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Jabi and Rekka got their own movie, and the priestess from latest season is getting her own too, so it's not THAT bad.

Also this episode was blatantly referencing both G3 and "Project G4" (sic!) movie from Kamen Rider Agito.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6