• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
I wish the reviewer wouldn't give this anime a hard time. Its Toei animation, what did you expect? You thought this anime would have Fate/Stay Night animation quality?

I look past the animation. I'm only in for the story.

He probably gave the ping pong anime a 1/10 Anime hyper

The animation is improving, especially the fights and the background which puts some shows to shame.
Osamu looking good in that uniform Smile

World Trigger is getting some serious buzz, it trended in the japanese twitter Smile
http://oi60.tinypic.com/kahd7q.jpg
MetalHunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
As a World Trigger fan I gotta say, I can see where she is coming from. I mean part of making an anime is execution, and the way they are adapting this, doesn't make it look so hot. I will say though this brings up an interesting anime argument where how much do the production values factor in making a good show. Plus she did praise the story its mainly the animation she's ragging on.
jaeger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:45 am Reply with quote
What the fudge?! Why is this guy reviewing it if he doesn't like it? I wish this guy just stop because he's just pissing off others who like this series. If you want better animation, go review Fate Stay Night and leave our World Trigger alone.

Nobody cares about your elitist review. The anime is fun. If you don't like it, go back to your anime with blood, boobs, and sh*t.

What the heck ANN? Seriously.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
jaeger wrote:
What the fudge?! Why is this guy reviewing it if he doesn't like it? I wish this guy just stop because he's just pissing off others who like this series. If you want better animation, go review Fate Stay Night and leave our World Trigger alone.

Nobody cares about your elitist review. The anime is fun. If you don't like it, go back to your anime with blood, boobs, and sh*t.

They aren't elitist just for disliking something you like. And noone's asking for an unlimited budget for this show, just any kind of budget. The show is so obviously done on the super cheap and when the stilted animation (when it isn't just talking heads and pans) and off model shots are constantly distracting you, then it's a perfectly valid thing to bring up about the show.
Crez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually a bit upset when this many people rant about a series I enjoy, but I just find it funny in this case =P

I haven't read the manga, and if it will make me hate the anime which I'm loving so far then I won't in the future ;P
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:
People keep saying "budget", but I don't think the issue is a lack of money to pay for a decent adaptation of an up-and-coming Shonen Jump series. The problem is more likely that Toei is stretched too thin to focus on all the shows they're producing - I believe right now that lineup includes One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal, Happiness Charge Precure, Dragonball Kai, Majin Bone, ...oh, and I guess World Trigger as well.

I think there were a couple of movies tying up studio resources (read: skilled production staff) as well, which meant that at least 1 show was going to be treated as the lowest-priority, do-what-you-can-with-it- assignment that gets shuffled around to anybody who has time to spare (I suspect that's actually happening to a number of their shows, and may explain some of the complaints fans have had about that show's animation as well).

Put another way - I've seen some of the sakuga folks on Twitter pointing out that Shirobako (a show that focuses on the ways anime production goes wrong) never really seems to hit on budget - as if a lack of money is almost never what goes wrong with a show. Lack of time and personnel (whether due to poor organization or just generally being overcommitted) seems a more likely culprit.

What you've just described is a lack of budget. Animators and studio staff don't work out of the goodness of their hearts. An increase or decrease in man-hours and resources translates directly into an increase of decrease in the amount of money allocated for a project.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are just too many dark or brown haired young men in uniforms in this show...Hopefully I won't be required to know who these other people are later on.

spoiler[Yeah, about that...have fun if they animate the Invasion arc to any degree. Even the manga gave us like 5 different diagrams and flowcharts just to keep everyone straight.]

Gabriella basically hit the nail on the head on why I've had such a hard time connecting with World Trigger - anime or manga. The character designs are just too samey and the named, important characters too numerous for me to keep track of or care about. That so many of them have the same basic personality doesn't help. Yuma, Osamu, and Chika all have decent character arcs set up, but they just don't have enough focus in their own story for me to get invested with the series.[/spoiler]
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode #7 was the best episode yet, I'd offer. The layouts were engrossing and added atmosphere. There was a great sense of interest placed into the storyboard from Shimizu Junji. The husband and wife power teach of Koizumi Noboru and Izumi Kyouko handled the key animation duties really well. I'm not sure if there managed to negotiate extra time to work on the episode but the drawings were rather lovely this episode. The character designs from Chief Animation Supervisor Kaiya Toshihisa are pretty samey and bland but Animation Supervisor Koizumi and wife really did a nice job keeping nearly every shot fun to look at. The action cuts were storyboarded and laid out in a nice, angular manner that they actually had a sense of intensity the series has lacked. Even Kuroyanagi Kenji's cuts in Episode #1 weren't anywhere nearly lovingly drawn as these.

If Toei Animation is going to keep agreeing to produce six-plus series a season the least they can do is take the time to place as much thought into the layouts as this episode did.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Heh, obviously Chika does attract at least some Neighbors. ::nudge, nudge, wink, wink::

Aside from Board Room 2.0 where we got long static shots of each character prior to the start of the fight, I'd agree that this was one of the better episodes, as far as keeping me interested. I was afraid that we were going to have to sit and wait for the results of Chika's Trion test, suspensefully shifting to each character in turn a la Rocky Horror (Chika! Osamu! Yuma! Replica!). So avoiding that was a nice surprise. It was also kind of fun to see Yuma surprised for once. I'm actually looking forward to the resolution of the cliffhanger next week.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
jaeger wrote:

You only want critics to post good reviews? What would be the point of reading a review filled with nothing but blind praise? Critics are supposed to, you know, be critical every now and then. The best ones can analyze a film, book, show or other product no matter whether they love, hate or are indifferent to it -all while pointing out its good, bad and ugly parts in an entertaining and thoughtful manner.

Anyway, it hardly comes as a surprise to hear that Toei is half-assing its animation again. They've been steadily sliding into a deep pit of mediocrity for years now.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
Sooooooooo Slooooooooooooow!

They are really squandering what could be their replacement Naruto if they gave half a damn. This 23 minute episode, even if you leave the recap, credits, and post credits alone (reducing the runtime to only 18:30 minutes of original content), it only contained about 12 minutes of actual content, 15 tops. The rest of it was just sloppy long panning shots of a scene, or allowing a moving animation to loop 3-5 times when only one loop would be sufficient. You could seriously edit this show down to about half the runtime without losing anything of value.

If they really can't bring themselves to put out 18 minutes of compelling anime per week, then the least they could do is run the 12 minutes they do have as a continuous, tightly edited block, and then have six minutes of screen-saver at the end so you can skip it. Maybe just run the series as one of those half-episode shows.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is not over yet for Toei. (Toei makes Naruto too?) If they want to allocate more resources to World Trigger, it'll have to wait until something ends.

I don't think World Trigger will have quite the international appeal that Naruto has though.

Quote:
It's a shame that Toei really doesn't want to animate fight scenes for this show, because that's the core of most of its appeal.

Toei is going to be in a real conundrum later on. I can see spoiler[Hyrein and his animal swarms] and spoiler[Enedora and his Borboros] being animated in 3-D CGI, though I question how good it'll look without expending a bunch of effort. I cannot imagine, however, how they'll animate spoiler[Viza and his Organon] with the budget they have. All three of these characters have weapons with a TON of moving parts, but the last one interacts with its environment a lot, so they'll either need to CGI the whole landscape or step their budget up.

lossthief wrote:
Gabriella basically hit the nail on the head on why I've had such a hard time connecting with World Trigger - anime or manga. The character designs are just too samey and the named, important characters too numerous for me to keep track of or care about. That so many of them have the same basic personality doesn't help. Yuma, Osamu, and Chika all have decent character arcs set up, but they just don't have enough focus in their own story for me to get invested with the series.

You know, I had this same problem reading World Trigger; I couldn't really put my finger on why I couldn't remember most of the characters, their roles, or their names.

I think with Attack on Titan, they have a lot of characters, but a few of them are given their moments in the spotlight at a time, though I still have trouble recognizing a bunch of the ones who didn't. With World Trigger, you're given 4 or 5 characters, then before you have time to get used to them or for Ashihara to flesh them out, another 4 or 5 are thrown in.

What particularly bugged me about my inability to remember characters in World Trigger is that I can do so with Bleach--in spite of its shoddy writing and massive cast (which, unlike One Piece, does not come and go), I can still recognize who's who, whereas World Trigger, a much better-written series, I always forget.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Naruto is not over yet for Toei. (Toei makes Naruto too?)

nope, Naruto is Pierrot's show
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay. That sounds about right.

Say, what pace are they doing this at? It's about two chapters per episode, is it? If One Piece can be done with one chapter per episode and look good, then World Trigger's anime has no excuse with a faster pace and more substance per episode.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Naruto is not over yet for Toei. (Toei makes Naruto too?) If they want to allocate more resources to World Trigger, it'll have to wait until something ends.

I'm just talking about Shonen Jump. If Toei isn't up to the job of doing World Trigger well then they shouldn't have licensed the show to them.

Quote:
What particularly bugged me about my inability to remember characters in World Trigger is that I can do so with Bleach--in spite of its shoddy writing and massive cast (which, unlike One Piece, does not come and go), I can still recognize who's who, whereas World Trigger, a much better-written series, I always forget.

Kubo is excellent with faces. A lot of artists tend to raw the same characters with different haircuts or whatever, but Kubo can draw each character so distinctively that even if they cosplay as a different character, with that character's clothing and haircut, you can tell that it's actually the other guy. And when they do look similar, it's deliberate, like that one ex-Captain that looked just like Ichigo with black hair.

Quote:
Say, what pace are they doing this at? It's about two chapters per episode, is it? If One Piece can be done with one chapter per episode and look good, then World Trigger's anime has no excuse with a faster pace and more substance per episode.

I tend to find the OP anime a bit slower paced than I'd like as well, but at least it's already well established. The chapter-per-episode ratio really depends on the pacing of the source material, and it seems in World Trigger's case they need to put more material in each episode than they have been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5