• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: World Trigger

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Say, what pace are they doing this at? It's about two chapters per episode, is it? If One Piece can be done with one chapter per episode and look good, then World Trigger's anime has no excuse with a faster pace and more substance per episode.

The ending of this episode is about where chapter 15 in the manga ended. So ~2 chapters per episode, yeah.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Ok, this is turning into one of those series that grinds my gears, where the higher-ups are all complete morons and slime buckets (except for a couple of the young'uns).

Are we ever going to find out who Yuma's father's friend was in Border? (to be clear, that's a rhetorical question expressing my frustration, not an invitation for the manga-spoiler people to chime in) It's either going to be that dark-haired good guy on the board, or ironically the top guy with the scar (who got said scar fighting alongside Yuma's dad on the other side and blames all Neighbors for his death, and will be all "Oh noes, I didn't know you were his son! Gomen, gomen! I'm good now."). However it turns out, they really need to jettison the evil board of directors storyline sooner than later.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 8

Ok, this is turning into one of those series that grinds my gears, where the higher-ups are all complete morons and slime buckets (except for a couple of the young'uns).

spoiler[They're not.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:03 am Reply with quote
Since that wasn't marked as a manga spoiler, I have to assume you're going solely by what we've been shown so far in the anime, so all I can respond with is, yes they are.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Is there a special manga spoiler tag? I'm going by where we're at currently in the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
No, but since this is an anime discussion, when you can't help yourself from talking about the manga it's considered polite to say "manga spoiler" before the tag so we can tell that it's not an anime episode spoiler. I don't know why people who read the manga and want to talk about it don't just go to the manga threads, but they never do.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Salty..
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:45 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the source material, so I can't tell if the show's quality (or, as some like to write, the lack-of) is due to the manga, or from the animation side. But, if you look at this show under the premise of "a regualr Shounen superpower, supernatural battle series", you'll find it somewhat entertaining, like I have
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I haven't read the source material, so I can't tell if the show's quality (or, as some like to write, the lack-of) is due to the manga, or from the animation side.

Quote:
I can't decide if this problem stems from the original story or whether it's a failure of adaptation, but it's difficult for me to care about what happens.

As someone that has read the manga, I can guarantee that it's a failure as an adaptation. Toei just sucks at pacing and are an overall lazy studio. I'm just praying that they'll NEVER try and get their hands on Boku no Hero Academia.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Looking at how high up My Hero Academia is on the rankings, I'm sure they will eventually try. Whether they succeed in getting it is another issue.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Looking at how high up My Hero Academia is on the rankings, I'm sure they will eventually try. Whether they succeed in getting it is another issue.

If anything, I'm rooting for Trigger to get their hands on it. The art style matches very well with what they would do.
1thought

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well there was a time when whatever was some the biggest series in Weekly Shonen Jump was almost always done by Toei Animation.

And Studio Pierrot did the others.

If a series was a bit edgier someone else grabbed it.

Ever since One Piece though Toei has pretty much backed away.
Although they did Toriko which help manga sales.

So Shueisha probably was looking at their lineup and thought World Trigger has potential to become bigger with Elementary School and Middle School aged audience so they wanted Toei to do it.
And Toei was always the one to do a series that would be popular with the younger audience.

The only thing I'm confused on is with Toei's clout why they didn't get a better airtime than 6am for World Trigger.
The whole reason it got a anime so quickly was Shueisha wanted more sales for the World Trigger manga.

If my My Hero Academia becomes bigger sales wise.
And as big as people claim it's going to end up being.
It sounds like it would pretty much be Studio Pierrot or Toei doing the anime.

But things are a bit different these days with anime.
So it could be almost anyone.

Last edited by 1thought on Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Otherwise, World Trigger continues to be in competition with itself to use as little animation as possible per episode. This isn't the frontrunner (that would be episode five)

I dunno...they held that still frame shot of the board guy lighting his cigarette for a full 10 seconds before he opened his eyes. Very Happy

But yeah, some plot progression! A couple of questions kind of answered. I'll take it!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Curiously, this is the exact same way that the military in Attack on Titan is divided. The cues are becoming more explicit that this might be a kid-friendly version of that infamously violent property.)

You know, I never even thought about comparing World Trigger with Attack on Titan. They both feel very different though. That, and Attack on Titan is post-apocalyptic and is about humans trying to survive, whereas with World Trigger, the Neighbors' damage is only local in scale (as far as we know anyway), and the humans have developed pretty efficient ways to defeat the invaders.

Quote:
It's most apparent with Jin, who kept getting drawn with a giant chin (as shown in the preview image) and many of the background drawings.

I was able to recognize a deformed Ai with no ambiguity, but I wasn't even sure if that was Jin in the image or not. Were the lenses on his glasses always detached too?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Were the lenses on his glasses always detached too?

If you mean no nose piece, I think so. Because the side arms don't curl behind his ears but rather in the opposite direction, I assume they wrap around the back of his head, mostly hidden by his hair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5