• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digital Manga Planning Tezuka Kickstarter Covering 6 Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
What's Elmer Fudd doing thar
sepherest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 am Reply with quote
I'd like to buy Rainbow Parakeet and Alabastor but I just don't like DM. They've always been a really fishy publisher to me and I don't want to keep having to use Kickstarter to get their Tezuka titles. Like with Sols I don't like that little window of opportunity you have to put your money through to get something with - if you overlook it once it's already gone after. I know classics don't do that well over here but if any other publisher had upcoming Tezuka licenses I'd be looking forward to the releases more...
F-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Like with Sols I don't like that little window of opportunity you have to put your money through to get something with - if you overlook it once it's already gone after. I know classics don't do that well over here but if any other publisher had upcoming Tezuka licenses I'd be looking forward to the releases more...

Both DM and Sols use crowdfunding to release stuff through retailers. If you don't care to crowdfund them (which is basically the same as preordering) then you can just wait and get them on Amazon or Right Stuf. I don't really see the problem here.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
F-Man wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
Like with Sols I don't like that little window of opportunity you have to put your money through to get something with - if you overlook it once it's already gone after. I know classics don't do that well over here but if any other publisher had upcoming Tezuka licenses I'd be looking forward to the releases more...

Both DM and Sols use crowdfunding to release stuff through retailers. If you don't care to crowdfund them (which is basically the same as preordering) then you can just wait and get them on Amazon or Right Stuf. I don't really see the problem here.

I can't speak for Sepherest but, as publishers in North America go I have the most difficult time purchasing Digital Manga print titles. Their books usually have large and frequent changes in release dates as well as less conformity with third-party retailers on when stock is received and available. A large number of Digital Manga titles also sell out quickly and reprints are rare or altogether fail to materialize even when details are given. The place I normally order from has moved to only taking pre-orders for Digital Manga's newer releases right now. If I wait on purchasing then I have to search out different avenues and hope those retailers have or can get more copies in stock. This is an issue because quality is very inconsistent with their books. As a result I often want to see how the localization is evaluated through reviews or opinions of fans who did pre-order. The same happens if I just miss news or solicitations for books. It's why if I really, really want one of their books that is print only I usually will buy direct and spend more money doing it.

This Kickstarter should be interesting though since it has longer series this time.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Right now it's up to no good not even passed 18,000 yet ... seems this is gonna be there first failure for obvious reasons ....
The reward tiers aren't even good and they just should have done a kickstarter with like Alabaster W3 and Vampires and bird antology which would have been enough as it is.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
They fixed the tiers a bunch. I could finally get the title I wanted so I upped my pledge to $110.

The lowest pledge to get all 6 titles is now $650 and offers more extras than before.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm just gonna leave this here Make up your own minds. I definitely think this would be better as several smaller Kickstarters, not one huge one in the run up to Christmas. As much as I want to support Tezuka being released in English, I'm not going to be exploited to do it.
F-Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'm just gonna leave this here Make up your own minds. I definitely think this would be better as several smaller Kickstarters, not one huge one in the run up to Christmas. As much as I want to support Tezuka being released in English, I'm not going to be exploited to do it.

See my post just before yours. They fixed the tiers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2