• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: CROSS ANGE Rondo of Angel and Dragon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mecha Odyssey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
First the elephant in the room, the supposedly objectionable scene. I don't care anymore, the show will throw in sexual assault all it wants and this one was better framed with more distant shots and shots of the face.

Honestly, I don't think there's an elephant in the room. The situation is pretty clear to me. In the previous episode, Embryo learned that his trophy "wife" has given herself to what he considers a lower form of man. Thus he, with his alpha male personality needs to reaffirm his dominance over her. The scene falls perfectly in line with who he is and as mentioned in the review can be expected to have eventually happen.

Izanagi009 wrote:
As for my personal review of it, I can't like it but my hate has subsided into just plain discontent with it. Compared to Aldnoah, it wrapped itself up a lot better and the latter half of the series had some good world building and character momments, stupid and otherwise. I can't however give this show anything higher than a C due to its more stupid and tropey parts with the faceplants, overly gratuitous lesbianism (before you comment that this is what I should have expected, you can do sexual scenes without being overly gratuitous and more subtle) and the fact that Ange is extremely unlikeable in a way that is less compelling and more aggravating.

Yes you can do sexual scenes that are more subtle, but that would not have worked for this series. This series is all about being in your face, up front and not holding back in terms of content, and I respect it for that. I was impressed that they were able to be so up front and clear with all the bad that happened to people (mainly Ange of course). Not everything should be subtle. I'm not saying there nothing wrong in you preferring subtlety, but being able to recognize when one method is more effective to convey the message is important. Especially when your lead is a character like Ange. She's not refined, she's not subtle, she's completely in your face when she wants to be. The content fits the character.

Also, I do not think that a lead character needs to be likable from the start. That kind of thinking feel very limiting to me. They showed you who she would be right at the start to let you know that she will change. This show is her journey. I realized that this was the start of her journey and kept an open mind. I have enjoyed watching her (all the key characters actually) grow and change. In Macross Frontier, Sheryl and Ranka go through major character arcs and changes. Alto on the other hand, his personal journey is much less significant. This is because he was a pretty mature and whole person from the start of the show. Yes he had his own issues, but the focus of Frontier is about Sheryl and Ranka maturing so in the end you feel more for their change and growth than we do for Alto. Most people here are feeling strong feelings of happiness for Ange now at the end due to this drastic change we have viewed. So I would argue the opposite, that Ange being so abrasive that even the viewing audience would get irritated was a good move on their part.

Izanagi009 wrote:
Add to it the questionable framing of certain sexual assault scenes and this show putters out into an ending that doesn't fully redeem itself

Honestly, it feels like you don't want this to be good, even if it has done something well. That you are unable to objectively analyze this without your personal misgivings coming into play. I base that thought because you say this ending "puttered out" when earlier you acknowledge it as being better than Aldnoah's ending.

spoiler[Ange's realization of the reason for Norma's existing brings the show full circle. Ange realization of the importance of choice in life and also in love is a reinforcement of the importance of consent, even if it wasn't said directly. ]That moment was major, for all the times characters have been used sexually in the show, her enforcing the importance of spoiler[women having the power of choice and not being ashamed of fighting back against those that would take away that choice from them] is the walk away life lesson I see here.

I mentioned this in the other Cross Ange thread: All in all, I was very happy with how the series closed up, it's no where near a trainwreck, in fact the train arrived at it's destination intact.
Arakiba

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
The scene where they explained how Tusk survived his attempted suicide-bombing was quite impressive... if there was such a scene Rolling Eyes
They left that question up in the air.

Didn't they explain it in the preview at the end of the episode where he (and Momoka) show up totally unscathed?

Momoka had her frying pan, and Tusk's clothes were fire proof.

(Yes its dumb but hey, this is Cross Ange we're talking about, just roll with it)
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Great review Theron -- your ability to get the most out of the fewest words is really great to read.
Ep 25 review wrote:
whether or not the creative staff was just making a classic villain in Embryo or whether they had ulterior motives in the way his actions were styled. This has to be at least considered because in some respects Embryo could be looked at as the ugly side of an idealized otaku.

I really like this review, but whether Embryo (stupid name) represents otakudom or not seems to miss the point. No matter who he represents he was never that well developed as a character in his own right except too little too late at the end. And there are plot holes around him that you could fly a dragon through.

Actually of all the characters other than the ones that died it is Embryo that I felt the most badly for. He started off as really smart guy who was presumably asocial but not (apparently -- we don't know for sure) particularly hostile to the world. His discoveries give him power far beyond his ability to cope with it but he nonetheless tries repeatedly to do good with it. I think the story said he presided over the creation and destruction of many worlds and lived many lifetimes and seen everyone die to the point he became completely inured to it. No human no matter how pretty meant anything more to him than a cardboard cutout would have. Until Ange.

In that way was his original self not only destroyed but isolated in loneliness presumably for thousands of years. Yet he was still trying to create a great world for humanity to live in and never comprehending why his plans never worked in the end. Near the end he was trying to rape Ange in desperation and it was truly pathetic -- all that power and that's what you do with it? But even then he wasn't giving up. His plans simply got more bizarre and radical the further from his roots and everyone else he became. At the end he died without ever understanding why he was so hated.

None of that really suggests "otaku" to me but the anime really wasn't about the villain in this case. Embryo served his purpose and without him Ange would never have been a hero.

I have a lot more to write about this but I would like to read first what the others that I know will be here shortly have to say.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
We really seem to be of the same mind on this series, HaruhiToy (and a lot of other series lately, it seems). I hadn't considered the angle you describe but find it a better fit for what the series was doing than the "representing otaku" angle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mecha Odyssey wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:
First the elephant in the room, the supposedly objectionable scene. I don't care anymore, the show will throw in sexual assault all it wants and this one was better framed with more distant shots and shots of the face.

Honestly, I don't think there's an elephant in the room. The situation is pretty clear to me. In the previous episode, Embryo learned that his trophy "wife" has given herself to what he considers a lower form of man. Thus he, with his alpha male personality needs to reaffirm his dominance over her. The scene falls perfectly in line with who he is and as mentioned in the review can be expected to have eventually happen.

Oh, Embryo's behavior falls right in line and I actually have no complaints about the scene. I just figured that someone would have an issue and I wanted to head it off
Quote:

Izanagi009 wrote:
As for my personal review of it, I can't like it but my hate has subsided into just plain discontent with it. Compared to Aldnoah, it wrapped itself up a lot better and the latter half of the series had some good world building and character momments, stupid and otherwise. I can't however give this show anything higher than a C due to its more stupid and tropey parts with the faceplants, overly gratuitous lesbianism (before you comment that this is what I should have expected, you can do sexual scenes without being overly gratuitous and more subtle) and the fact that Ange is extremely unlikeable in a way that is less compelling and more aggravating.

Yes you can do sexual scenes that are more subtle, but that would not have worked for this series. This series is all about being in your face, up front and not holding back in terms of content, and I respect it for that. I was impressed that they were able to be so up front and clear with all the bad that happened to people (mainly Ange of course). Not everything should be subtle. I'm not saying there nothing wrong in you preferring subtlety, but being able to recognize when one method is more effective to convey the message is important. Especially when your lead is a character like Ange. She's not refined, she's not subtle, she's completely in your face when she wants to be. The content fits the character.

Also, I do not think that a lead character needs to be likable from the start. That kind of thinking feel very limiting to me. They showed you who she would be right at the start to let you know that she will change. This show is her journey. I realized that this was the start of her journey and kept an open mind. I have enjoyed watching her (all the key characters actually) grow and change. In Macross Frontier, Sheryl and Ranka go through major character arcs and changes. Alto on the other hand, his personal journey is much less significant. This is because he was a pretty mature and whole person from the start of the show. Yes he had his own issues, but the focus of Frontier is about Sheryl and Ranka maturing so in the end you feel more for their change and growth than we do for Alto. Most people here are feeling strong feelings of happiness for Ange now at the end due to this drastic change we have viewed. So I would argue the opposite, that Ange being so abrasive that even the viewing audience would get irritated was a good move on their part.

The show is much more in your face than most, I will give it that, but sometimes even the most wild and insane show needs to tone it down. Perhaps that's just me since there are very few over the top shows I like (Kill la Kill and DxD for completely different reasons). Something about this over the top feels more juvenile to me and less controlled. I also still really hate the intial interactions between Tusk and Ange even though it did tone itself down on the faceplants and other stupid crap.

Unlikeable charcters can work very well, hell that's the entire appeal of anti-heroes but they usually are compelling. Ange felt less like a conflicted soul forced into a dire situation (Emiya Kiritsugu for an example) and more just a mean girl: not the most compelling of conflicts. I said this before but when your comedic relief is more relatable and compelling than your main character, you have issues.
Quote:

Izanagi009 wrote:
Add to it the questionable framing of certain sexual assault scenes and this show putters out into an ending that doesn't fully redeem itself

Honestly, it feels like you don't want this to be good, even if it has done something well. That you are unable to objectively analyze this without your personal misgivings coming into play. I base that thought because you say this ending "puttered out" when earlier you acknowledge it as being better than Aldnoah's ending.

spoiler[Ange's realization of the reason for Norma's existing brings the show full circle. Ange realization of the importance of choice in life and also in love is a reinforcement of the importance of consent, even if it wasn't said directly. ]That moment was major, for all the times characters have been used sexually in the show, her enforcing the importance of spoiler[women having the power of choice and not being ashamed of fighting back against those that would take away that choice from them] is the walk away life lesson I see here.

I mentioned this in the other Cross Ange thread: All in all, I was very happy with how the series closed up, it's no where near a trainwreck, in fact the train arrived at it's destination intact.

The ending independent of the rest of the series is pretty good and better than Aldnoah's, it just can't make me fully like the show. Again, the questionable content is still present and I had the same complaints when it happened in SAO, it felt tactless. You are right that my personal misgivings on the show still reside but the fact that the show has it in should be taken into consideration and I can't just completely ignore the fact that I and others find it in poor standing

As for Ange's speech, I have no complaints; its affecting and gets a good point across but one speech does not make a good show.

Key wrote:
We really seem to be of the same mind on this series, HaruhiToy (and a lot of other series lately, it seems). I hadn't considered the angle you describe but find it a better fit for what the series was doing than the "representing otaku" angle.

I think that if they are trying to go for the more sympatheic angle, they really needed to spend some more time in Embryo's head.

To use Gundam for the upteenth time, we actually saw the reasoning behind Char Aznable, Full Frontal, and Rau Le Creuset as time went on. Here Embryo is only introduced in the second half of the season and we only see what he wants and a surface justification but not the mental state that led him to it.

For this theory to apply, we really could have used an episode of him just sitting with Ange as he is reviewing his past attempts and how he felt. A bit on the nose but it fits for the show and would help me with HaruhiToy's interpretation

Last edited by Izanagi009 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
For this theory to apply, we really could have used an episode of him just sitting with Ange as he is reviewing his past attempts and how he felt. A bit on the nose but it fits for the show and would help me with HaruhiToy's interpretation

I see two problems with that, though:

1. Embryo is well beyond the point of being reflective. Unlike the two you mention, he's been doing what he's doing for centuries. He thinks he knows what has gone wrong in the past and clearly had a God complex. Between that and his attitude about things, him doing so would have been out of character.

2. Where in the story would you put such introspection? I have commonly seen people requesting such things about one series or another, but I often don't think that they take enough into account the natural flow of storytelling. Series that try to shoehorn such reflection in often get bogged down by it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:12 am Reply with quote
Good ending for a fun and crazy ride. Are we getting the bluray released here? I'd definitely grab it.

Key wrote:
2. Where in the story would you put such introspection? I have commonly seen people requesting such things about one series or another, but I often don't think that they take enough into account the natural flow of storytelling. Series that try to shoehorn such reflection in often get bogged down by it.

I completely agree. Throwing in a flashback episode or arc would completely ruin the momentum the series picked up in the second half since Embryo was introduced. Even when they kind of stopped to explain the history of the original world, it still didn't really feel like the story stopped because it was explained through Ange actually doing stuff in the present.

The only series that I can think of off hand that managed to do that without ruining the momentum of the series was chrome shelled regios, and to just throw short bits at a time out like it did means that it has to start really early on (though that also didn't quite get around to explaining the whole chain of events).

I suppose it is a bit odd that they weren't as in your face with what Haruhi was explaining as they were with most other things in the series, but I don't think there is much they could have done, and it seems pretty clear to me if you stop and think about it.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:

I see two problems with that, though:

1. Embryo is well beyond the point of being reflective. Unlike the two you mention, he's been doing what he's doing for centuries. He thinks he knows what has gone wrong in the past and clearly had a God complex. Between that and his attitude about things, him doing so would have been out of character.

Actually, looking back both points make a lot of sense. Gundam could probably get away with it because it's mainly a drama of different people as a war wages on and the run time gives it the ability. Here, Embryo is more designed to be a more clear cut evil than Char Aznable and to make him turn heel and start inwardly looking is odd.

I don't know, in my mind, something about HaruhiToy's theory tries to make him more sympathetic than he actually is and I can't see that working either.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
I think that HaruhiToy and Key summed up Embryo's character, though I'm with Izanagi that he's not sympathetic at all. I agree that he became cynical after watching humanity for so long, and felt they couldn't evolve without intervention (Jill talking about his backstory suggests this). He did develop a God complex of sorts.

It's clear in the series that his world ended up a failure because of who he is, despite him thinking he was above humanity. He thought the worst of people, so he assumed the Norma would mess things up and made them into pariahs so his people wouldn't fight amongst themselves. He arrogantly thought he could give people purpose/roles to keep them satisfied and thought he knew what was best for people. So he he set the Norma up to fight DRAGONs, used people's desires to manipulate them and gave the Mana users everything they could want. Why would they want to have to think for themselves and why wouldn't they be afraid of losing what they have? He never gave people a choice, which set them up to fail.

IMO, I believe that he enjoyed having a large amount of power and using worlds like his own playground. He said he believed the Mana users became stagnant and failed to be perfect, but it's more like he got bored with them, considering he found diving into the worlds of books more exciting than his world. Then he found a challenge in Ange and reckoned if he could have her, he could have a bunch of people like her who he could control into providing more stimulus and create a world more to his liking.

Ange isn't that likeable (though I think she's great anyway), but I feel for the most part, she has good reasons to be. Before, she was simply ignorant. Then she got broken down (brutally) into accepting she was a Norma and took on a persona, but ended up pushing people away out of bitterness and self-loathing. She was fed up of having things forced on her and lied to so she ended up paranoid, hence why she was so hostile and distrustful during the DRAGON arc.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:

Actually, looking back both points make a lot of sense. Gundam could probably get away with it because it's mainly a drama of different people as a war wages on and the run time gives it the ability. Here, Embryo is more designed to be a more clear cut evil than Char Aznable and to make him turn heel and start inwardly looking is odd.

Char Aznable is not the epitome of what a well developed antagonist is.

In 0079 he's basically on a revenge quest.
He doesn't care in the least about the spacenoid independance movement. And by the end of the series he's made Amuro his life enemy because of Lalah's death.

In Zeta, flip-flop, we have Char on the good side and he's able to work with Amuro. All that rage where did it go ? His desire for zeon independence ? Who knows.

In Char's Counterattack another flip-flop. Now he's on the bad side, he hates humanity and Amuro again. And wants nothing more than to carry a genocide on a massive scale.

No, Char Aznable is not a well designed villain at all. Embryo for all his creepiness is a much more consistent villain. He doesn't flip-flop like Char does.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Izanagi009 wrote:

Char Aznable is not the epitome of what a well developed antagonist is.

In 0079 he's basically on a revenge quest.
He doesn't care in the least about the spacenoid independance movement. And by the end of the series he's made Amuro his life enemy because of Lalah's death.

In Zeta, flip-flop, we have Char on the good side and he's able to work with Amuro. All that rage where did it go ? His desire for zeon independence ? Who knows.

In Char's Counterattack another flip-flop. Now he's on the bad side, he hates humanity and Amuro again. And wants nothing more than to carry a genocide on a massive scale.

No, Char Aznable is not a well designed villain at all. Embryo for all his creepiness is a much more consistent villain. He doesn't flip-flop like Char does.

fair point, perhaps Gilbert Durandal would be a better option since he is more consistant

As for the flip flop, well Gundam is known for protagonists and antagonists that shift based on the situation and what they believe (see Banagher Links switching between Zeon and Federation) so it's not that surprising.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:23 am Reply with quote
Just wondering what happened to Misty Rosenblum.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
megazero wrote:
Just wondering what happened to Misty Rosenblum.

Swallowed up in the depths of Time along with 99% of the rest of the population of both worlds. Or possibly wandering through the ruins like Sylvia. Remember Embryo's ultimately cold line: "who said you were coming along?" Misty wasn't at that virtual table but she was certainly one of the ruling elite he created but then decided he had enough of.

I realize that some people think that her character was totally wasted and unjustly disregarded by Ange but at the end of the day she served as nothing more than as a means to provide Ange and escape from the island. And that was perfectly in character for Ange who seemed never to want to make any friends. She was quite the bratty self-centered snoot and would only consider friendship when someone else did the work of approaching her and even then she was reluctant to get close. What made this work for her is that in spite of her elitist stand-offishness she actually did care about other people and eventually others perceived this and became attached to her.

It was actually quite an evolution for her to come to be able to connect with Hilda's feelings. Or Tusk's for that matter.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I liek the fact that god creates a superior race of women so that they rule over and give birth to a new world... and they all become lesbians.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
All I can say about the ending is that I thought it could have been a lot worse. I was actually entertained and it stayed loyal to its roots and what the story and mood were trying to accomplish since the beginning.

I also find it ironic that it painted women in a much better light than several series actually aimed at them, which is funny considering it was mostly aimed at a male audience and was condemned by many for supposed reasons that were discussed many times and I don't plan to bring them back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 43