• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
Loved the episode. As you said, characterization is one of the show's strongest points and I was definitely pulled in by Arakita's predatorial speed. Even though I didn't pay him much mind before, there was something exceedingly thrilling in watching him in his "senpai" attitude, pulling the two doe-eyed first years and looking like a boss.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 Excellent review, with some insights I hadn't considered.

I think it might have been better translated as "tamed" rather than "domesticated," regardless of which the Japanese used (for all I know there might be no distinction in Japanese other than context). Tamed is more shameful for a wolf than a dog that was born tame. He's basically trying to say that they've developed in opposite directions: the domesticated dog has become feral and dangerous, while the wild wolf has been de-fanged/de-clawed and turned into a pet.

Loved the end tag. Very Happy
laureninspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 9 Excellent review, with some insights I hadn't considered.

I think it might have been better translated as "tamed" rather than "domesticated," regardless of which the Japanese used (for all I know there might be no distinction in Japanese other than context). Tamed is more shameful for a wolf than a dog that was born tame. He's basically trying to say that they've developed in opposite directions: the domesticated dog has become feral and dangerous, while the wild wolf has been de-fanged/de-clawed and turned into a pet.

Loved the end tag. Very Happy

Thanks for reading! Yeah, I think he said "domesticated wolf" and "pet wolf" but perhaps not tame. I watched the show a few times before writing but you know how it blurs together. It did not occur to me until the end half of this episode just how brilliant the show is for pitting Arakita and Machimiya, who easily could have reversed their own circumstances depending on one key previous meeting. They're both very canine, that's for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Quote:
You would think Arakita had biked off a cliff and died, given the music-box lullaby playing in the background and the way the other characters, especially Onoda, carry on about him.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I noticed they were all talking about him in past tense, even when saying things like, "He was an incredible person," which ought to be in present tense if he didn't die. Very Happy The other thing that had me laughing at that scene was how the music was straight out of a spaghetti western just before the fateful showdown, or at least from some movie about bullfighters dying in the ring. It was ridiculously out of place.

I love this series, but both it and Ace of Diamond have fallen into the shonen trap of dragging out competitions with endless flashbacks that ought to be brought up sooner. When every ball pitched or meter ridden is punctuated by someone's backstory it just destroys the tension rather than enhancing it. It's ironic because for a series that emphasizes facing forward and moving ahead, they spend most of their time looking backward and standing still.

C'mon guys, saddle up and ride already!
laureninspace

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When every ball pitched or meter ridden is punctuated by someone's backstory it just destroys the tension rather than enhancing it. It's ironic because for a series that emphasizes facing forward and moving ahead, they spend most of their time looking backward and standing still.

You said this very well. Makishima says to "enjoy the tension" but I just want them to get on with the damn race!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
Arakita is, in the end, like a true guard dog: willing to bite his enemies for his master and guarding to the very last breath. Sure, he didn't died or something similar, but his lack of presence in Hakone's team for this point onwards (and that realization) felt like a punch to nearly all of the Hakone-Sohoku riders.

(quite literally) Rest in Peace Laughing
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Despite the title of the episode, I felt like it was much more focused on Sohoku. Ah well.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this was mentioned in the Review, but for the 3rd day of the Inter-High, Sohoku rides with their neutral white numbers, instead of the gold (Kinjou) or green (Tadoroko) ones. I think it might symbolize that any team member is equal when the situation calls for it, and it quite relevant to this week's episode (#14).
Just my 2 cents Smile
laureninspace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
I don't know if this was mentioned in the Review, but for the 3rd day of the Inter-High, Sohoku rides with their neutral white numbers, instead of the gold (Kinjou) or green (Tadoroko) ones. I think it might symbolize that any team member is equal when the situation calls for it, and it quite relevant to this week's episode (#14).
Just my 2 cents Smile

No, that wasn't in the review because I didn't notice! That's a really cool detail. Thanks for point it out Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Just my 2 cents Smile

I thought this was due to how neither of them won their parts in the second day. I didn't pay much attention to it, but I'd figure Midousuji Fukutomi and whoever got the mountain stage (Can't remember if it was Toudou or Midousuji) are wearing their colored-tags from winning their respective stages during the second day, whereas no one from Sohoku won anything. Of course I don't know if you're only allowed to wear colored-tags for the day after you win it or if it lasts for the entire race.

It's really funny how this show follows the shonen formula of everyone "dying" and "inheriting their will" so that the main character can win. I'm guessingspoiler[ Naruko will be the next to "die", followed by Makishima and Toudou in one final stretch for their rivalry (to every fujoshi's happiness), leaving Onoda vs Manami and Imaizumi vs Fukutomi.]
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
review wrote:
Meanwhile in Bike Heaven...

Haha! At least it's a good way to learn about them.

CrowLia wrote:

It's really funny how this show follows the shonen formula of everyone "dying" and "inheriting their will" so that the main character can win. I'm guessingspoiler[ Naruko will be the next to "die", followed by Makishima and Toudou in one final stretch for their rivalry (to every fujoshi's happiness), leaving Onoda vs Manami and Imaizumi vs Fukutomi.]

That's what I would assume. I guess Midousuji and Ishigaki are really out of the running now. I wasn't sure if they were going to pull something new.

Now that we're farther into it, does anyone feel like the issue with Machimiya was resolved way to quickly? There were lingering doubts that the team was going to lay down and keep their promise, but they aren't even in the OP now. I'm just not sure if the character had much of a point. Miya's anger wasn't believable in the first place, but neither was him giving up on his revenge plan. He doesn't even have the benefit of witnessing Arakita's transformation like the audience does; just sparse words of change. His actions led to some development of our main teams, but as a character he falls rather flat.

However, that team does of Ibitani, and I enjoyed his hero-worship. So in the end, maybe it was worth it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Loved the episode. I really dig how they're raising the stakes for everyone's deaths, now it's not only dying but going blind too, and in any other show it would be eyeroll-inducing, but it really worked here. They managed a brilliant emotional punch with Naruko's flashback to their promise of crossing the goal together, and he really brought back a lot of positive energy to the race. I'm concerned about next week's title, is Imaizumi going to die next? Will the final battle be a battle of the climbers? Or maybe Imaizumi the Ace will mean Todou and Makishima will have their final confrontation (please make it happen, please make it happen, my MakiTou feeling NEED IT), and that Imaizumi will grow into the role of Ace that Kinjou obviously wanted for him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
That was the best episode they've done in weeks. My elbow is still hurting from when he hit that guard rail. >.<

I think what I liked best was the build-up to disaster. For the whole first half I was expecting disaster to pounce on him out of nowhere (like getting clotheslined by the idiot spectators on the road or a tire blowing out or something), but they let him have his shining moment and go out on his own terms.

Hopefully he didn't break anything and Tadokoro and Shinkai can pick him up after he's rested a bit.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

All that said...I find Onoda to be one of the least compelling in the series. He is pretty much a Manic Pixie Dream Boy, and I've never been overly fond of those character types, at least in lead roles. He mostly overcomes all odds to save his teammates (who are forever charmed by his presence) and to look *aghast* when something bad is even alluded to. He's not an awful character or anything, but I wish he was a little more layered.

Like many main characters, Onoda is an everyman stand-in for the audience. It's the same reason why Luke isn't as cool as Han.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
i don't like this anime anymore. First season is good. The second season = flash back. We should call this anime Yowamushi Pedal: The Flash Back
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5