• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Fun Fact: The Flashbacks in episode 18? They were straight from the three manga chapters it was adapted from. So if you don't care for them, reading the manga instead won't make a bit of difference.
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 was super cathartic for me. Imaizumi has been getting the short end of the stick for a long time, and Midousuji has been bullying everyone in the race for an equally long time, so to see Imaizumi gaining his strength back on top of Manami's well of confidence scaring Midousuji out of his dominating position was great. I can only imagine what Fukutomi was thinking when everyone caught up, though - "What is happening? Why am I surrounded by freshmen? This isn't the Interhigh I know!" Not that he would ever express something like that out loud, of course.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
A lot of the flashback in the first season (which is as far as I have read in the manga) came out of order compared to the manga, but I think the anime actually does a better job of utilizing them.

I am somewhat disappointed that the season will likely end at the end of the first Interhigh, but on the other hand, racing episodes (which is basically every episode but the first three of season one, give or take, lol) make for the best workouts. Hahaha.

I did like this episode though... it's nice to see Midosuji be the butt of someone else's abuse for once.

One thing about possible translations... "launch pad" would actually best be translated as "leadout," which is the term they use in the English cycling world.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I am somewhat disappointed that the season will likely end at the end of the first Interhigh, but on the other hand, racing episodes (which is basically every episode but the first three of season one, give or take, lol) make for the best workouts. Hahaha.

That said, I'm REALLY optimistic that we'll get another season after this one. Kuroda doesn't become a major character until after the Interhigh, and they bothered to color correct his hair even so. So even if there's a pause, I think this isn't the last of Yowapeda!
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
If it gets a live action stage play we're getting a third season. There's still a bunch more volumes to adapt.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Ah, come on - sports anime "deaths" are totally a thing! When a character falls out of the race, or game, or whatever, they have "died" in the same sense as any other shounen genre character has, and the characters treat each other as such. Is this a realistic thing? Maybe not, but it is certainly a genre standard. Now, Naruko hasn't truly died, in that he isn't a senior and will get more chances in the future, but his moment before falling was similarly dramatic, so I thought he deserved that moment in Imaizumi's consciousness.

What I don't agree with is that the show has been glorifying his self-sacrifice as if it was a healthy or in general a good idea. He really hurt himself by riding past his limits like that! I was hoping the show would portray that properly, but it seems more interested in praising Naruko's off-the-walls efforts. Oh well.

In the end I still appreciated this episode as further proof that Imaizumi is a more complex character than I had previously thought, but I also agree that the Midousuji repetition needs to end soon.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
Ah, come on - sports anime "deaths" are totally a thing! When a character falls out of the race, or game, or whatever, they have "died" in the same sense as any other shounen genre character has, and the characters treat each other as such. Is this a realistic thing? Maybe not, but it is certainly a genre standard. Now, Naruko hasn't truly died, in that he isn't a senior and will get more chances in the future, but his moment before falling was similarly dramatic, so I thought he deserved that moment in Imaizumi's consciousness.

Also, my heart broke a little when Imaizumi yelled Naruko's name. But... I try to keep my ships out of the reviews ^^;
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
Also, my heart broke a little when Imaizumi yelled Naruko's name. But... I try to keep my ships out of the reviews ^^;

Personally I prefer Imaizumi x Onoda, but yes, these scenes were obviously made to cater to that idea, in a very effective, character-progressing way.

That being said, it might be prudent to not let your ships influence your reviews too much, but commenting on them a bit seems appropriate if it matches the development...? I don't write about this stuff professionally, but it seems like it might work in adding personality and a more full view of a work, especially in shows like this that rely on that kind of audience. I certainly wouldn't mind it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
That headbutt was just... Laughing Laughing Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The headbutt was EVERYTHING
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
This was.... a good episode. Great fodder for the rollers. lol.
wolfy2005

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I know the entire point of Midosouji's "tricks" is to add dramatic tension and to highlight how batshit insane he is and all, but it annoys the crap out of me when it throws the laws of physics (not to mention the rules of road cycling) to the wind. Especially with a show that's so grounded in reality. Like last season when he jumped backwards on his bike at the checkpoint line to beat Shinkai, wouldn't that backwards movement have actually slowed him down? I was already questioning how leaning so far over the handlebars would actually help him but that was ridiculous. And this last episode where he rolls up his sleeves and shorts to expose and expand his muscles, wouldn't that be adding wind resistance? The entire point of those cycling outfits are to cut down on drag to make the cyclists more aerodynamic. I mean if DBZ is anything to go on in the anime world, bigger muscles only accomplish in making you slower.

But the biggest issue I have is, where the hell are the damn race officials? The amount of deliberate physical contact Midousuji has done just in the last episode, especially the butt bumping, would have gotten him disqualified and probably suspended from any other race.

Again, I get it, dramatic tension, he's the evil antagonist, he's gotta do underhanded shit because he's a douche, and they gotta show that he'll do anything to win, but the amount of rule bending (and outright breaking) he does to do it just annoys the crap out of me. They could have gotten adequate dramatic tension from legit rivals like Hakone.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
wolfy2005 wrote:
But the biggest issue I have is, where the hell are the damn race officials? The amount of deliberate physical contact Midousuji has done just in the last episode, especially the butt bumping, would have gotten him disqualified and probably suspended from any other race.

Re: where are the officials, another thing I want to bring up is that we've been getting our commentary not from announcers or anything, but from preternaturally informed spectators. "That guy is a first-year sprinter, but he's climbing, what?" HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW THAT.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Especially with a show that's so grounded in reality.

Exactly what show are you watching, mate? It sure as hell isn't the one with people doing crazy 180 degrees dancing, inflating like a balloon with oxygen, growing metaphorical wings, going blind from over-exhertion and growing a pregnant belly from eating power bars

Quote:
Re: where are the officials, another thing I want to bring up is that we've been getting our commentary not from announcers or anything, but from preternaturally informed spectators. "That guy is a first-year sprinter, but he's climbing, what?" HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW THAT.

This seems to happen a lot in sports anime, you never see any game commentators or officials saying anything, it's usually an overly-informed audience that does. Just recently in KuroBas, spoiler[at the start of the Seirin vs Kaijou semifinal, some random dude said "It seems they had a practice match some time ago and Seirin won"], like, how could anyone know about that, there wasn't any audience in that game and literally no one heard or cared about it!
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
It turns out the thing where sprinters push their bikes ahead of them is real.... People do it in real life. He just did it in an exaggerated fashion, and it would have taken perfect timing for it to have worked.

No, rolling up his sleeves and shorts wouldn't have affected air resistance much. Plus, they're going uphill, so air resistance is essentially irrelevant.

Although it wouldn't have made much of a difference except maybe letting more body heat out.

And I don't think we're supposed to take the expanding muscles literally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5