• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode #21:

(Since the Review isn't up yet, I'll be cautious) spoiler[Midōsuji Akira is "dead"]!
Tadokoro Jin-senpai, Shinkai Hayato-san, please treat the newcomer well Twisted Evil
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 am Reply with quote
In cycling parlance he's "cracked," not dead.

This review is overly harsh... it was a perfectly good episode by the standards of the series. At least a B+. There's nothing wrong with using flashbacks... It's nice to have a change of pace within the episode.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:02 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
In cycling parlance he's "cracked," not dead.

This review is overly harsh... it was a perfectly good episode by the standards of the series. At least a B+. There's nothing wrong with using flashbacks... It's nice to have a change of pace within the episode.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion about this episode, including me. After three episodes of Imaizumi vs. Midousuji, the plot feels more unnaturally prolonged than Midousuji's neck. The flashbacks I enjoyed two episodes ago and even last episode are getting excessive.

It's no secret that Yowamushi Pedal is my favorite show on TV right now, but this episode was not one of its finest.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:11 am Reply with quote
The scene with Onoda and Iincho (...what's her actual name) was comedy gold. The flashback added something to the story. The action was good. What's to complain about?
laureninspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The scene with Onoda and Iincho (...what's her actual name) was comedy gold. The flashback added something to the story. The action was good. What's to complain about?

If you read my review, you'll see that I called the scene between Mrs. Onoda and Miyahara the best part of the episode.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ah... Well, go back and watch the episodes while pedaling a stationary bike. It's fun.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Episode #21:

(Since the Review isn't up yet, I'll be cautious) spoiler[Midōsuji Akira is "dead"]!
Tadokoro Jin-senpai, Shinkai Hayato-san, please treat the newcomer well Twisted Evil

Actually, Tadokoro and Shinkai aren't "dead", at least not in the same sense as Midousuji (drop out), they're just really far behind now. I think so far only Naruko, Kinjou, Arakita and Ishigaki died for real (as in retired)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Actually, Tadokoro and Shinkai aren't "dead", at least not in the same sense as Midousuji (drop out), they're just really far behind now. I think so far only Naruko, Kinjou, Arakita and Ishigaki died for real (as in retired)

Given their teammates' reaction, the musical composition used, and the emotional emphasis created to the riders who were left behind, I think one can consider any lagging behind as "death", as well as when discussing those who retired from the race.

Difference is that Tadokoro and Shinkai are the only ones who actually in "Cyclists Heaven" and keeping it "alive". (I just love the irony that born out of that's situation)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh sure, I get what you mean, I'm just saying that, although the drama to their deaths was about the same as Midousuji's, the physics are completely different. Akira-kun won't be going to Cyclist Heaven, I'm afraid
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
See, now this is why all the spectators wandering around the course is so terrifying. Shocked Although this was clearly deliberate.

I've been wondering why everyone who goes out has to go flying dramatically over the handlebars, but I guess any impediment to forward progress will do that.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:36 am Reply with quote
Road bikes are inherently somewhat unstable, especially when set up for racing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
So I guess Manami was a lonely little boy too. Seem to be a lot of them in this.

Great episode though. The first in a while where the episode outshone the post-credits vignette. Getting everyone's reactions to the final showdown could be seen as a way to pad, but it was still pretty satisfying. However, the end title card is just getting completely out of control! Very Happy
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:13 am Reply with quote
I think season one showed he was sickly, iirc. I think that's why he's talking about "people's lives having no do-overs."
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I've been watching so many shows where the main character ends up losing in the end that I really wasn't expecting Onoda to win. Inexperienced as he is, I still think he earned it because he and his team went through so much during this insanely long Inter-High. I'd definitely welcome another season, but if this (and the upcoming movie and OAD) is all the YowaPeda anime we're getting, then I'm perfectly satisfied.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually all for the team losing at first, but this time? I felt like Onoda and his team really needed that win. What with most sports anime having the first big event be a loss, this was a refreshing change.

This season was bumpy. The show gets lost in flashbacks. Some episodes suffer from Not a Whole Lot Happening--just cycling and verbally affirming the value of friendship. However, when episodes are structured well, they really shine. It's not too different from other sports series, where the time spent training offers a better look into the characters' lives. This season was basically confined to the one road race, allowing for more stagnation. However, I was very satisfied with this conclusion and found the ending scenes great fun. A continuation would be nice, but it tied together its loose ends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5