• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Urbance' Animation Project Runs Kickstarter With Animation Director Hiroshi Shimizu

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverEndingStory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:

You're deluding yourself if you think anime itself came about in some sort of vacuum.

Did he ever say the opposite? You are deluding yourself with your lack of logic. Rolling Eyes

Yes he did say the opposite. He said that projects like this is an attempt to globalize anime, as it to suggest it exists in a vaccum.

Z-Zvia wrote:
BrainBlow wrote:
Also, French animation in general is already heavily inspired by anime, so this is hardly going to be some big animation revolution.

Yep. And we all agree on the fact that it is extremely horrible. Perhaps except for a few people like you Smile

Well this just confirmed your stupidty. France is one of the Meccas of traditional animation (along with Japan), didn't ya know? Or are you too ignorant of what good animation is to know that? It doesn't have the commercial exposure of Japanese animation, but in terms of active experimentation in the field and the treatment of animation as a art form (rather than simply a commercial vehicle) they top even Japan. Globaly, French animation is probably the most critically acclaimed contemporary animation industry.

If you can watch Sylvain Chomet's The Illusionist, or heck any student films from Gobelins (French animation school, arguably the premier animaton school in the world), and say that it is "extremely horrible" you are admitting you know nothing about what good animation is.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:

Sunny milk wrote:
I really wish they stopped with these projects, trying to globalize anime industry completely with western influence.

Little late there Rolling Eyes They've been doing this since the 80s. All those cartoons you watched as a kid? Animated in Japan. Ever wonder why 80s cartoons had so much better intros? Yeah.. nothing new.

Rudolph the Red-nose Reindeer, that live-action puppet thing, was also made in Japan during the....50's(?) by a big former animator who worked on anime during the war. So yeah, it has been going on awhile.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
EverEndingStory wrote:
It doesn't have the commercial exposure of Japanese animation, but in terms of active experimentation in the field and the treatment of animation as a art form (rather than simply a commercial vehicle) they top even Japan. Globaly, French animation is probably the most critically acclaimed contemporary animation industry.

These two statements would contradict each other, wouldn't there? If it doesn't have the exposure of Japanese or American animation, how can it be the most critically acclaimed (by whom?) animation industry?

I have seen a fair share of the output France has put out, and most of it seems little different from that put out by other western countries. Perhaps I have not watched the right ones, but all the TV shows I have found are very reminiscent of your typical western children's cartoons. Most recently I've watched the Mysterious Cities of Gold remake Loli Rock which just premiered.

I would disagree that they are the most experimental. They do have some experimental movies at independent venues, certainly more than America, but their television animation is remarkably similar to America's. This is no doubt intentional, though. A decent number of these French cartoons are made with foreign markets in mind. So you get shows like Loli Rock which also have an already produced English dub in hopes it can be marketed in other countries easier rather than hoping another company licenses it and dubs it like with anime. So it makes sense their animation would be similar to other western countries in hopes to increase marketability. Though America has only gotten one or two French cartoons to my knowledge.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
I find it funny people are debating a show that doesn't exist.

Urbance doesn't exist in any tangible form. In fact, it hasn't existed for years now. They've repeatedly failed to drum up any interest from investors in getting the show off the ground, presumably due to its polarizing story. And judging by the Kickstarter, it will continue to not exist. So I don't see why people are getting mad over something that does not exist.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
I find it funny people are debating a show that doesn't exist.

One thing is for certain, every time an argument breaks out over this, it just adds more fuel to the fire on why we rarely see more non-conventional cartoons like this out of the west. People should be embracing more creativity, not trying to censor it.

-Stuart Smith.
EverEndingStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
EverEndingStory wrote:
It doesn't have the commercial exposure of Japanese animation, but in terms of active experimentation in the field and the treatment of animation as a art form (rather than simply a commercial vehicle) they top even Japan. Globaly, French animation is probably the most critically acclaimed contemporary animation industry.

These two statements would contradict each other, wouldn't there? If it doesn't have the exposure of Japanese or American animation, how can it be the most critically acclaimed (by whom?) animation industry?

They don't contradict each other. At all.

Example: Michael Bay's movies, for instance, has far more exposure than anything by Akira Kurosawa (seen as one of if not the most influential filmmaker ever) - even while alive and his movies still coming out, Kurosawa was obscure enough (on a mass scale) that his movies could be blatantly ripped off without general audiences even realizing it. No one would be stupid to question which is more critically acclaimed of the two though.

Looking at animation specifically - compare anything by great auteurs and experimentors like Masaki Yuasa, Satoshi Kon, Mamoru Hosoda, and compare it to the type of exposure of more popular mass-marketed anime like One Piece and DBZ. Or compare one of the most critically acclaimed modern french animation films (and one of the most critically succesful animation films of all time, really) with the commercial animation films produced by Disney, which completely crush it in terms of exposure.
niastyle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope this actually gets made. I'm intrigued by the plot, and I love the look of it. Having grown up in a very urban neighborhood (Queens, NY) this looks like moving graffiti art to me, and is conceptually representative of urban style.

Bonus: It has black people! As in more than one. Something you don't see too often nowadays in animation other than Princess and the Frog, Afro Samurai, and Michiko and Hatchin.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
About the previous silly debate, just think of it as the work of a French-Canadian studio who happens to hire a Japanese animator and director to work in this.

Anyways, when I first heard about Tribe Cool Crew, I was hoping it would be more something like this, but of course it turns out to be a kids show. Update with new design by Shimizu:

Definitely looks better, with a bit more anime aesthetic, being less exaggerated than the pre-Shimizu designs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2