• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yona of the Dawn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
last night I started a rewatch of it with my oldest niece and I noticed today that they changed the spelling to Gija on the older episodes too, so they're at least trying retroactively for consistency this time. would be nice is they could go back and change the rest of the names too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
When I think about it, these kinds of stories don't make much sense to me. If there was a child who had such a dangerous power living among you, wouldn't you do everything you could to stay on their good side and appease them (unless you were chaining them up in a dungeon instead). I'm thinking the Jerome Bixby short story, "It's a Good Life" got it right. While the blue dragons' power (or the jinchuuriki's) is not so omnipotent as Anthony's, it still seems like you'd try to make its possessor happy to avoid retribution.
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He does have a furry squirrel friend and a desire to be with people – he's already feeling the attraction to Yona – but overcoming twenty-odd years of conditioning is not going to be easy.

He was born 18 years ago, so he is 18.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
You're right - I forgot that right after the "18 years ago" it showed him as an infant. Somehow I had it in mind that that was when he was a small child, putting him in his early 20s.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Perhaps his lack of self-esteem and willingness to believe the worst is best shown when Yona tells him that “Ao” doesn't seem like a good name for his chubby squirrel friend.

Really, just because you're his king and master doesn't mean you get to judge his pet naming. Evil or Very Mad He should rename it Yona and tell her it's because of its piggy little cheeks.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps his lack of self-esteem and willingness to believe the worst is best shown when Yona tells him that “Ao” doesn't seem like a good name for his chubby squirrel friend.

Really, just because you're his king and master doesn't mean you get to judge his pet naming. Evil or Very Mad He should rename it Yona and tell her it's because of its piggy little cheeks.

Haha! Aww. I don't think Yona was trying to be mean when she said it, just blunt/not thinking before she spoke. Everyone continues to call it Ao anyway, though (except the manga author (and readers?), who refers to it as "Pukyu" from the sound it makes).
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
The review wrote:
despite the fact that she's finding the dragons for the purpose of unseating Su-won

Has Yona actually ever said that? The reason that she has explicitly given for searching for the dragons is that she doesn't want Hak to die protecting her. When she was talking to Ik-soo, and he asked her what she wanted, she said she wanted both herself and Hak to survive, and that she desired nothing else.

I'm sure she wants revenge, at least at some level, but I don't think there's any evidence that she's plotting a coup at the moment. (And if she did try to pull one, it could potentially be very destructive to the country, which is doing badly enough without a war.)
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
RE: Ep 14 review

I have to disagree with the review in terms of the Hak / Yona exchange about Hak asking to call her Yona and her refusing. She wasn't putting him in his place. Hak is the only link that she has that she is in fact a princess and daughter of the king. She doesn't want to lose that link she has to her past.

I loved this episode! It made me cry and laugh within minutes! Hak putting the cloth on Ki-ja's face was priceless!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^That's what I got out of it too, and although Hak took it as a princess-servant rebuke at first, by the time he knelt before her, I think he understood what she was asking of him and why. It also makes him special to her in a way the others can't be, so I'm sure that pleases him too. Smile Still, it's an awkward situation for him, no matter how he looks at it, even if she'd given him permission.

I also enjoyed his deadpan teasing of "Brother White Snake."

I felt kind of sad about Sinha leaving behind the bells, though I get why he did.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
RE: Ep 14 review

I have to disagree with the review in terms of the Hak / Yona exchange about Hak asking to call her Yona and her refusing. She wasn't putting him in his place.

But that's how Hak sees it. I just keep thinking about how she said that she thinks he sticks by her out of an obligation to her father. She might've asked Hak to call her "Princess" partially because of that. Poor Hak! Nothing could be further from the truth!

I actually enjoyed the episode much more after they left that horrible village. I would've enjoyed it more if they had gone straight to get the next dragon, but for half an episode of fillerish material, it was pretty good. Hak got denied (which is probably long-term plot important, but hopefully not completely irreversible), Blue Dragon got a name, and Yun learned that royals can be pretty cool. It had a good mix of funny and heartwarming, too.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Warning: this episode may do one of the following: melt your heart, make you feel sorry for Hak, or go all gooey and moe for the Blue Dragon.

I got all three of them. I was kind of pissed at Yona for remaining so oblivious, but in the end, when she cried after hearing Hak had prayed to her father, it was very touching and it felt as if their relationship has actually progressed. And when Sinha remembered Ao's heartfelt apology as he parted with his bells it broke my heart. Also Sinha the Furball Monster <3. I loved the episode and wasn't bothered by the pacing at all. Given that the plot is a little muddles at this point (we don't even know for sure if Yona wants to take back the throne), I really enjoy these little filler-ish segments that let us get to know the characters better. I really helps to keep the dragons from being solely defined by their devotion to Yona
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I felt kind of sad about Sinha leaving behind the bells, though I get why he did.

The fact that the tether holding the bells to his hair "broke" was interesting. I thought that, basically, Ao's spirit had stayed with those bells, keeping Blue Dragon company during all of those lonely years. However, Ao's spirit saw that Blue Dragon no longer needed that, and so the bells *left Blue Dragon*, and Blue Dragon merely acknowledged this by leaving the bells where they fell, their purpose completed. He was free, and Ao's spirit could finally move on. That's how I interpreted it, anyway. Razz

As for Hak/Yona... well, I'm increasingly convinced that Yona either consciously or sub-consciously is aware of how Hak feels about her (and vice versa). I suspect she wants to keep things from going beyond a certain point due to her current situation and also, maybe, due to the damage her heart sustained after being betrayed by Soo-won. Honestly, I have a hard time believing she's as clueless about Hak as she pretends to be.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
I have to agree with the people who side with the idea that Yona wasn't blocking Hak but was informing him of how special she is to him. This can be reinforced when she was at the water and she was checking her hair. She is probably coming to the understanding that she is losing her connection to who she was and her connection to her father which was brought up when talking with Sinha. Also, I do believe that Yona is suppose to be naive when it comes to others having feelings for her or the fact that she has so much put upon her at the moment that she doesn't really think about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The fact that the tether holding the bells to his hair "broke" was interesting. I thought that, basically, Ao's spirit had stayed with those bells, keeping Blue Dragon company during all of those lonely years. However, Ao's spirit saw that Blue Dragon no longer needed that, and so the bells *left Blue Dragon*, and Blue Dragon merely acknowledged this by leaving the bells where they fell, their purpose completed. He was free, and Ao's spirit could finally move on. That's how I interpreted it, anyway. Razz

That's a bit deeper than how I was seeing it. I like it, and henceforth will look at it that way. But it's still kind of sad. Smile
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:14 am Reply with quote
It's definitely sad. The whole dynamic between Sinha and Ao was doomed to be sad. I wonder if a lot of what Ao said to Sinha was an attempt to "toughed him up" emotionally because he knew that in the end Sinha would take all of his power and then he would die. That, and he himself was pretty bitter over the life he'd been forced to live. You could see how he was simultaneously angry about it, while trying not to take out too much of his anger on Sinha, who was blameless. At first Ao seemed like as much a jerk as everyone else in that village, but in the end he showed he actually cared about Sinha and regretted he couldn't do anything more before he died.

I thought it was a pretty moving story, actually, in its own way. I'm glad Yona rescued Sinha from that place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8