• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Characters Join MAG's Fight Against Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
americananimotk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
While I can understand free downloading has had a somewhat negative effect on the Japanese Animation Industry, at the end of the day this is pretty much a propaganda stunt. I get enough of that from my own government, thank you very much. The people you should really be going after are people who make and sell bootleg DVDs. Those guys are the real threat.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Sure it makes sense. Do you really think all those "anime watch" searches are leading to legal views? Newer/younger fans are either lazier or less tech-savvy, and view downloading as a hassle on approximately the same level that the pirates of yore viewed actually buying anime. So they gravitate to illegal streaming sites if they're not willing to subscribe or put up with a few ads and CR and other legal sites. Piracy hasn't fallen off a cliff, it's just jumped to the other side of the valley, and is more insidious now since illegal streaming sites allow 3rd parties to profit... much like bootleg DVD sellers.

Kikaioh wrote:
This is great news, I'm glad to hear their campaign was successful.

mdo7 wrote:
As you can see the blue line represent anime torrenting, if piracy was that bad like they claim then why is anime torrenting down for the last few years?? Does that make any sense??

Probably because torrenting is an old technology compared to illegal streaming.

But still, I find their claim hard to believe. Also about torrenting, I think I recall Bitorrent has said that they have over 150 million users as of 2012. Yet anime torrenting has went down, so some stuff don't make any sense to me.

americananimotk wrote:
The people you should really be going after are people who make and sell bootleg DVDs. Those guys are the real threat.

I share that same sentiment too, but in order to stop bootleg DVDs, Japanese companies really need to reduce the price of anime (a lot of stuff in Japan are overpriced and DVDs/BDs are one of them and anime are not an exception). If you reduce the price of anime and make it easier and accessible for people to watch and to own, then yeah that can eliminate bootleg DVDs problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veniamin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
People still believe downloading Anime/Manga is bad? Okay, let's say if the Internet wasn't as prominent like now. basically during the late 80's and early 90's.

Would taking a blank cassette and recording Sailor Moon be stealing? My intention is to share the anime with other people. Unless I'm somehow recording each episode and profiting for myself, then that of course would be stealing in recent days. But then, it wasn't exactly illegal back then. you HAD to create a demand with your costumers and create the sub-culture itself, I was part of that now disbanded group, who bought the Interest over to begin with.

How is this prominent now? you have fansubbing sharing one episode individually each day and there are at least 2000+ people with dozens who may want to buy the product. doesn't matter if I like it or not, you have plenty of others people who will definitely buy it depending on their opinion.

Just because it's written in law, doesn't always make it right. sometimes you have "bad" choices, but you still have to choose.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
No, cut the BD/DVD prices per volume in half, offer a region free and reasonably priced download service for home video releases similar to how Steam does PC games, and cut the CD prices by 30% or offer a download service, region free, with DRM free music at a reasonable rate. These will cut your piracy woes substantially. Your campaign sucks and will fail.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
No, cut the BD/DVD prices per volume in half, offer a region free and reasonably priced download service for home video releases similar to how Steam does PC games, and cut the CD prices by 30% or offer a download service, region free, with DRM free music at a reasonable rate. These will cut your piracy woes substantially. Your campaign sucks and will fail.

I share this same sentiment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Boo all they added were side characters from the original starting. I wanted Gon and Gintoki. But kaito kid on their is pretty impressive
iCards

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
There is something ironic about pirates(One Piece characters) and thieves(Kaito Kid) "fighting" piracy.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Needs a way more intimidating character.

enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:

Would taking a blank cassette and recording Sailor Moon be stealing?

For personal use, no. It's considered time-shifting and falls under "fair use."

Veniamin wrote:

My intention is to share the anime with other people.

Then illegal, depending on how many people, as how ever the local law is. Ex: without permission, can't screen a recorded tape of a show in an auditorium of hundreds of people, without risk of being prosecuted if the copyright-holder files charges.

Veniamin wrote:

Just because it's written in law, doesn't always make it right. sometimes you have "bad" choices, but you still have to choose.

Then you got to separate morality from legality. Something you believe is right can be illegal, or believe is wrong but still be legal. Something you believe is right doesn't automatically make it legal. Two different things; just gotta accept that. Change the law first as the recourse of action.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 am Reply with quote

> Why did Yeager even bring me here?
> How does this issue even effect us?
> I'd eat the food but it'd just get my clothes dirty
> My feet hurt
> Why aren't we fighting Titans?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
For this Eren, copyright infringement could be a Titan.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Pirating is good for the industry, not bad. I downloaded every single episode of Chu2 straight from Horriblesubs. I loved it. And then later I bought the DVD set from Amazon as soon as it was released legally.

I very much doubt I would have spent that money on a random series I knew nothing about, but there was no legal way to see the series beforehand.

Repeat that scenario for about 10-12 series per year. I spend a couple thousand dollars annually on anime, and the vast majority of it I initially pirate.
shabaz92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Pirating is good for the industry, not bad. I downloaded every single episode of Chu2 straight from Horriblesubs. I loved it. And then later I bought the DVD set from Amazon as soon as it was released legally.

I very much doubt I would have spent that money on a random series I knew nothing about, but there was no legal way to see the series beforehand.
It's great you're supporting the industry, but you do realize where those Horriblesubs came from, don't you? Unfortunately not everyone is as virtuous as you.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
shabaz92 wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

It's great you're supporting the industry, but you do realize where those Horriblesubs came from, don't you? Unfortunately not everyone is as virtuous as you.

From pirates, I know, but if it's the only route available to get anime, I'll take it.

At the very least, I'm happy my money is (eventually) going to the creators and not some middle man, legal or otherwise.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
[HorribleSubs rips came] from pirates, I know, but if it's the only route available to get anime, I'll take it.

At the very least, I'm happy my money is (eventually) going to the creators and not some middle man, legal or otherwise.

The existence of HorribleSubs rips for a given show means that there must be a legal stream for that show, which kind of conflicts with your claim that "there was no legal way to see the series beforehand."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3