• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Chaika - The Coffin Princess Avenging Battle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Another fun episode. I enjoyed the action and seeing the Chaikas fight alongside. I especially liked seeing the red Chaika on screen; I guess I have a soft side for Tsunderes.

And I was kind of surprised but glad to see that Hatsune Miku is apparently just a tool and not an evil incarnation of Emperor Gaz.

Quote:
If there's anything wrong with this episode, it's the short and simple way in which the story is wrapped up. Things move so quickly that the audience doesn't get a chance to process any significant moments, and the episodic characters are seen off in a hasty fashion.

Yep. This is the disadvantage of this season being only ten episodes long. Hopefully the ending will have plenty of closure.
DLH112

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
I finally caught up with this today. This series feels like it was based on a JRPG/would fit into one, instead of a LN, much more so than other battle/adventure manga/anime/LNs I've read/watched. anyone else feel the same?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Another fun episode, like the review, my favorite part was the end where everybody was teaming up to fight off the creatures. It was great seeing the two Chaikas work together too.

DLH112 wrote:
I finally caught up with this today.This series feels like it was based on a JRPG/would fit into one, instead of a LN,much more so than other battle/adventure manga/anime/LNs I've read/watched. anyone else feel the same?

Actually, this is one of the reasons why I like this show Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

More set up it is. I share Paul's optimism that this new arc should do some great things. I only wonder if this tournament arc will be the final battle or will the series have enough time for another arc?

Paul covered what needs to be said about this episode, and I strongly agree with him that Vivi has really grown as a character. I look forward to her encounter with Gillette.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I do disagree about this episode being slow though. There was more than enough to digest, even as a setup episode. At some points (the fishing scene) the slower pace was actually a breath of fresh air. How fast does everything have to be?
Elements of this episode alone:
- We've seen multiple short battles... and if every episode were to be a battle royale, it would become stale soon.
- Humorous segments
- Chaika wondering about her nature and purpose in life
- Return of a character, who turned out to be slightly different than we've been shown before
- The Guy character was openly questioned and showed up more often than usual, making us question what his motives, role and importance are.
- More new characters were introduced
- Buildup to the next battle

But that's just my opinion Smile

I do agree about Niva being a spoiler[plot device, but well, that's probably her purpose. The remark on her 'having a personality'] wouldn't have worked otherwise either Wink.

Also, I hope Guy will be smashed into pieces and thrown off a cliff someday. That would be a perfect death for him.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I agree with Mystery on this one. I liked this episode a lot because it was slower. The episodes where they build up future events are when the characters really get to shine.

Niva spoiler[is a plot device, but they seem to acknowledge that in the series, so I kind of give them a pass on that one]

I'm looking forward to seeing how they wrap this series up. But I wonder about the number of remaining arcs, spend 2 episodes with this arc maybe, and then one final arc with the last two episodes? That would probably work out nicely I'd say.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 -

I think these development have made the show more interesting.

spoiler[I have feeling that boy referred to a Guy maybe Emperor trying revive himself or one of his agents. He also been spoke with Gillette that he see in his heart wanting world at war verse world of peace. Given how much of a piece of work Emperor has been portrayed as, I think Guy = Emperor some form.

White Chaika mission is unsual, if she really was pre-programmed agent to seek out the Emperor's body for burial, is that real reason? Was her mind's interpretation of what her mission was.]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Parsing Guy's comments to Mr. Amnesia about the darkness in Mr. Amnesia's heart made me think that Guy was talking about the *false* peace that has taken place since the war, and the general hypocrisy being displayed by many national leaders/governments. That it was this false peace that so angered Mr. Amnesia, and the realization that little or nothing is known about what life was like under Gaz.

Remember, most of what we are told about Gaz comes from the victors, and we all know how history often gets revised by the winners.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I also think it's good to have a slower-paced episode. It was nice to see the cast have a little bit of downtime, especially compared to quick pacing of the last 2-3 episodes. Too bad the Chaikas are split up again, though. Unfortunately, I don't think Niva is going to get much development with so little episodes left.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I tend to find these so called "establishment episodes" more interesting than some of the big battles. That might partially be due to the fact that I'm not huge on action scenes. But I didn't have any problems with the pacing issues in this episode. This episode is important because it puts all the major players in place for the final three episodes, and it does it quite well.

However, I can agree about the villain of this arc though. I have the feeling that there is more to it than what has been shown so far. But only time will tell I suppose.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I do disagree about this episode being slow though. There was more than enough to digest, even as a setup episode. At some points (the fishing scene) the slower pace was actually a breath of fresh air. How fast does everything have to be?

The last few episodes were so well-packed that I didn't find episode 6 slow at all while giving us the breather at the beginning of it to look at the mysteries one more time and take in the events of the island and spoiler[showing Chaika actually thinking about/doubting her mission/goal and then watching Guy manipulate things again. On that note, that Gillette scene and explanation how he survived was a nicely done creepy scene. Also, there were good little bursts of action as each group arrived at the castle so it didn't really feel all that slow even with the bit of downtime in the first part of the ep].

Looking forward to watching ep 7.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Having already watched episode 7 (grade: B+), I liked it overall, and I am also cool with more set up. I also liked the brief exchange between Vivi's team and Chaika's team. And I am very intrigued by the black Chaikas.

Nick Creamer wrote:
I can't help but wonder why this plot arc isn't moving any faster.

I imagine this current arc would be last one, and the anime creators want to take their time. I do not mind the slower pace as long as the conclusion is solid.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
I think there going to issues when Chaikas collide.

spoiler[We know that Black Chaika have two twin (clones?) of herself working with her, they may make things nasty. Another question, is this Black Chaika (like rest of the brain washed girls) the same others? Hatsune allegially beheaded the "Real" Chaika, I wonder if that he may have faked it or worse compromised by Black Chaika to cover her moves. Worlds with endless war doesn't sound like it sustainable. Emperor had a plan, i think it was resurrection. Waiting for enemies to think he dead, weaken, fight among themselves and he come back and school them in art of warfare and magic.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Having already watched episode 7 (grade: B+), I liked it overall, and I am also cool with more set up. I also liked the brief exchange between Vivi's team and Chaika's team. And I am very intrigued by the black Chaikas.

Nick Creamer wrote:
I can't help but wonder why this plot arc isn't moving any faster.

I imagine this current arc would be last one, and the anime creators want to take their time. I do not mind the slower pace as long as the conclusion is solid.

This season is apparently only 10 episodes, so they can't drag things out much longer anyway.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
This season is apparently only 10 episodes, so they can't drag things out much longer anyway.

As I much as I like the show, I have a bad feeling that the ending is going to suffer because of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5