• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrmuk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The last episode was great. {You just don't know when to quit. ~nobahn}
The inner monologue did well summing up the philosophical themes the series had which usually got overshadowed by the (awesome) action. Also, Migi needed a proper goodbye, so something like this was neccessary anyway.

Loved this last episode, loved this anime, just the way I loved the manga. It was just wonderful and top-notch entertainment.

Last edited by mrmuk on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I'm sure people here will disagree with me on this, but I have never seen a show start off so promising, and end up so disappointing in all my years of watching anime.

It had blemishes at the start, but I felt safe ignoring them because it felt like the story was going places. The story felt, while silly, smart.

But after finishing the series, to be honest, all I can say is that Parasyte's story is just silly. The small quiet moments were drained away, and it became just another monster of the arc show.

Disappointing.

And I'd agree pretty much. It started strong enough with an intriguing premise but ultimately failed to really deliver. 7/10 in my books.

Last edited by IKKIsama on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
NikamiYuhara

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
I disagreed with what you said last time but completely agree with you on this one Nick. This episode was REALLY flat and as you've said, they just kept on reverting back on the old philosophies that the show has explored numerous times during the 23 episodes. We really didn't need 1 full episode to go through them all again.

Overall, I liked this anime and I would consider this to be one of the best show that aired during 2014. Although, I would agree that the show could have been executed a lot better. Kana's character just felt flat although I liked her a lot. It like the show never cared about her at all as I think she would have been a great asset to the show had they used her right. Then we never get any explanation as to how she acquired the ability to detect parasytic(?) activities either which sucks since Uragawa at least got that. Then Reiko, oh Reiko, her change of heart was so unconvincing to me. It felt like they cut a lot out of her thought processes because her 180 change was just there. I wasn't entirely convinced of that character development at all. These are just some of my gripes about the show. I still liked it, just wished that it would have been executed better. Then again, this was adapted by studio Madhouse, I expected no less from them cutting out stuffs as have seen from other shows that were adapted this year by them..... Hopefully they won't messed up the adaption of One Punch Man.

You already know ONE-PUNCH MAN WILL BE AWESOME SAUCE
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
I disagreed with what you said last time but completely agree with you on this one Nick. This episode was REALLY flat and as you've said, they just kept on reverting back on the old philosophies that the show has explored numerous times during the 23 episodes. We really didn't need 1 full episode to go through them all again.

Overall, I liked this anime and I would consider this to be one of the best show that aired during 2014. Although, I would agree that the show could have been executed a lot better. Kana's character just felt flat although I liked her a lot. It like the show never cared about her at all as I think she would have been a great asset to the show had they used her right. Then we never get any explanation as to how she acquired the ability to detect parasytic(?) activities either which sucks since Uragawa at least got that. Then Reiko, oh Reiko, her change of heart was so unconvincing to me. It felt like they cut a lot out of her thought processes because her 180 change was just there. I wasn't entirely convinced of that character development at all. These are just some of my gripes about the show. I still liked it, just wished that it would have been executed better. Then again, this was adapted by studio Madhouse, I expected no less from them cutting out stuffs as have seen from other shows that were adapted this year by them..... Hopefully they won't messed up the adaption of One Punch Man.

Have you read the manga or are you assuming, when your gripes could very well lie with it ?
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the series started off strong, but it started going downhill for me about 2/3rds of the way through. Then again, the original source material had the same issues, and this was a pretty faithful adaptation in regards to the plot so I'm unsurprised. I would have preferred more focus on Migi and less on Kana since the romance was pretty meh. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

I still consider this season a winner, what with Yona of the Dawn, Shirobako, and Death Parade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Ep.24 grade: C+
Whole show: B (maybe B- will have to think about it more)

I agree with the review. I really liked the first half of the show and I looked forward to it every week, but then it went downhill. I never liked what they did with Kana as she first appeared street smart and somewhat practical. It felt like she morphed too quickly into over emotional stalker territory. It felt a little contrary to her personality. The death flags were also not subtle there. Not enough time was given to the mayor to make him interesting. I thought that Migi and Shinichi were moving to a place beyond allies, but it felt like the creators rushed into them being friends without developing it enough. Plenty of internal monologues and unnecessary speeches in the second half started to bog the show down for me.

Best parts of the show for me was Tamiya Ryouko and Migi. Aya Hirano deserves an award for her work as Migi. She was great.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
I think this show had the same problem at its heart as Death Note (spoiler tags from here on as not everybody may have seen Death Note); spoiler[it killed off its most interesting character-dynamic before it finished airing.]

In Death Note's case, spoiler[the show was all about the clash of intellects between Light and L. From the moment Light won and L was killed, the show could only shamble along undead-style, without its very reason for existence. These days, I pretend that Death Note ends with the episode L dies. It's better that way.]

And in Parasyte's case, spoiler[Tamura Reiko, while not a traditional antagonist, was nevertheless at the show's thematic heart. Once she was dead (and it was a very well-handled death), the show devolved into typical shonen action fare, with its main themes being clumsily tagged on the side.]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
So Madhouse did it! The adapted the ending 1 to 1(minus the violence) and they even gave it new scenes (the 2 girls in the beginning and the sequence in the park) but Uragami´s line towards Satomi were a bit more sexual in the manga. The credits could also have been incorporated into the episode in a proper way like a long pen up shot but oh well.
This is now my favorite anime or even tv show ending (suck it Breaking Bad, Sopranos, 6 Feet Under or other perfect finales) out of the way over 1000+ series i have seen over the last 20 years.

I also knew that you all would be disappointed by it Cool.
But i don´t care. A+ baby and probably the best episode of animation i will see for the rest of the year or even the next few years. For reference: The second best ending is Bebop and then LOGH and this anime is still a 9/10 for me because of censorship and skipping. I love how ZERO questions are answered and only new one are raised. I love that the all characters internal journeys are brought to a definitive close as all is truly said and done at the end.
I love how blatant the message is. I love how emotional everything is (holy shit the acting!).
And i finally love that the is NO sequel. Let´s see how he will end History and if you hated this then stay away from Monster (10/10) which pulls off a very similar scenario.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
You should'nt feel sad for anything to see it go, that just expands the void you have to shove a peice of hilarious crap like Tokyo Ghoul to plug it.

residentgrigo wrote:
But i don´t care. A+ baby and probably the best episode of animation i will see for the rest of the year or even the next few years. For reference: The second best ending is Bebop and then LOGH and this anime is still a 9/10

As much as I found this to be an impressive anime, I thinks its more along the lines of a 8/10. From the New World has to be my favorite modern anime still, and Parasyte was close until it scrapped its knees.

Rogueywon wrote:

In Death Note's case, spoiler[the show was all about the clash of intellects between Light and L. From the moment Light won and L was killed, the show could only shamble along undead-style, without its very reason for existence. These days, I pretend that Death Note ends with the episode L dies. It's better that way.]

And in Parasyte's case, spoiler[Tamura Reiko, while not a traditional antagonist, was nevertheless at the show's thematic heart. Once she was dead (and it was a very well-handled death), the show devolved into typical shonen action fare, with its main themes being clumsily tagged on the side.]

Except that, spoiler[ Death Notes case had no foreshadowing of what was going to happen next until maybe somewhere at the last episode where L dies. In Parasyte we see that Tamura Reiko thought incredibly different from other rouge parasites, with them questioning her motive sometimes. Plus we witness Gotou's power multiple episodes before her death foreshadowing that he was gonna be the big boss. Yet he was created under Tamura's supervision, representing both sides of the parasites way of thinking. 1, Question their motive of existence. 2, Embrace their motive of existence.]

Shonnen would be over the top. But all we saw near the finale was a human actually trying to fight off a monsterous beast with wit while feeling the weight of his stratiegic actions. You know? Like a certain show with, "Attack." In its name that threw that out the window.

One-Eye wrote:
I never liked what they did with Kana as she first appeared street smart and somewhat practical. It felt like she morphed too quickly into over emotional stalker territory. It felt a little contrary to her personality. The death flags were also not subtle there. Not enough time was given to the mayor to make him interesting. I thought that Migi and Shinichi were moving to a place beyond allies, but it felt like the creators rushed into them being friends without developing it enough.

Kana though thinking street smart, really looked wrong for her character. When I think street smart chicks, I think Cromartie Highschool delinquints that dont even wear their school uniforms or have a lolipop in their mouths the whole time. She had earmuffs and a cute scarf, how does that make her kickass? Her personality in the 2nd half fit her design. Besides, I think any chick would wanna make whoopie cushion with anime David Tennant instead of anime captian america pre injections.

It was still a problem though, spoiler[but her death fit not only Shinichi's. But the viewers reactions as well after the funeral.]

What time would we need for Hirokawa? He was set up as a twist and reason why Gotou and his parasite crew were able to campaign so far in the election race.

And a place beyond allies is friends, yet Migi never said specifically that they were friends. They were already considered allies in episode 5-6 with what they been through and coordinated in. After the middle arc when he becomes David Tennant, Migi seems to question and suggeste his motives. Like someone who is concerned even though he was sort of worrying about his own survival. Then with Migi sticking up for Shinichi when arguing with Kuramori paved the possibility that their bond seemed to go alot deeper than just, "Beyond allies."
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Except that, spoiler[ Death Notes case had no foreshadowing of what was going to happen next until maybe somewhere at the last episode where L dies. In Parasyte we see that Tamura Reiko thought incredibly different from other rouge parasites, with them questioning her motive sometimes. Plus we witness Gotou's power multiple episodes before her death foreshadowing that he was gonna be the big boss. Yet he was created under Tamura's supervision, representing both sides of the parasites way of thinking. 1, Question their motive of existence. 2, Embrace their motive of existence.]

Point taken - and I do think this was a strong series. But I think it had its ordering of events in its final arc wrong. It would have been better if the business with Gotou had been wrapped up before Tamura Reiko's arc.

Gotou was the physical challenge for Shinichi, Reiko was the moral one. What felt clumsy to me was when they tried to put a "moral" epilogue (the debate over whether or not to kill Gotou) following the "physical" confrontation. Gotou was a monster by any standards and there should have been no debate about killing him. If they had gone from Gotou's death to end of Reiko's arc (which only requires some minor re-ordering of events), the epilogue would have had much more impact. As it is, we get to see a Parasyte who raises all kinds of interesting questions - and then we get a fight against one where the only question is "how to kill him".
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
In order to be a good anime, it has to handle similar situations exactly the same way that other anime did that I consider to be good. Nothing else makes sense.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
In order to be a good anime, it has to handle similar situations exactly the same way that other anime did that I consider to be good. Nothing else makes sense.

I wasn't trying to say that - it was more about pointing out a common failing between two shows I otherwise liked; an inability to sustain the same level of interest after the end of a key plot/character arc.

Or were you aiming at another post?
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:

Point taken - and I do think this was a strong series. But I think it had its ordering of events in its final arc wrong. It would have been better if the business with Gotou had been wrapped up before Tamura Reiko's arc.

As much as I would love to see how this could happen. I can only imagine the pissed off dude on Fandompost that keeps reviewing this show to the ground after the 2nd half's reacting to how, "its not what the manga was!" And yeah, strong series is better than bad series. So I can be semi ok with your opinion. But if Tamura wasn't first, then we wouldn't have a conclusion like that which gave some thought for the character and viewer.

Quote:
What felt clumsy to me was when they tried to put a "moral" epilogue (the debate over whether or not to kill Gotou) following the "physical" confrontation. Gotou was a monster by any standards and there should have been no debate about killing him.

He was a monster by Human standards that don't follow Hirokawa, specifically Shinichi's. Migi didn't want to kill him, yet he let Shinichi decide. He tried to judge Gotou without considering his species in the equation ever since Tamura Reiko made her plight about her species. Like what a liberal hippie would do. When you put yourself out of the picture, you're mostly thinking of how they can live on the planet. Yet the earth has no feelings to care about what lives or dies. That is what Migi was trying to converse to Shinichi after his first selfless decision. So Shinichi reformed his opinion to that he should just shrink his sense of judgement to what he really knows about, his family, friends and allies. These specific parasites attacked people he knew, and he wanted to stop it from continuing to happen. And the parasites where trying to grow by latching on to humans. But humans striked back, yet parasites continued for the sake of themselves. Both are trying to survive, just like animals. Humans and Parasites are one in the same as species, but not in relationships. You can respect other species while being selfish of your own. Its survival of the fittest.

HaruhiToy wrote:

Then enjoy seeing the same type of anime with the same type of solution in the same type of situation over and over again.
moonshine101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I am honestly disappointed by this anime. When I first read the announcement it was getting an anime adapation from my favourite studio, MADHOUSE I flipped my shit. A year later, after waiting for this series to end so I can watch it all today(which I did) I was overly disappointed as it had such amazing potential with that start.

The key points that caused it to go downhill, is the romance in the series shouldn't even exist. If this is to be a contender for their adapation of HXH 2011(best anime I have ever seen)then it needed more time to nurture the characters. The romance of Kana falling in love not only felt rushed, but how [expletive] unbelievable was her reasoning, "I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SENSE YOU SO I LOVE YOU AND WANT YOU!" which turned out to be wrong. I was so [expletive] happy when she died to the point of jumping off of bed in happiness.

There was also the other romance with the female from the hotel near where his father was in hospital, just unnecessary romance.

Then there was the transition to the main bad guy, who was the experiment, Ryouko. I wanted to know how the experiment worked, how they came to agree to this etc. Yet, what do we get? A bad guy out of nowhere that was the OP monster that eventually gets defeated. Really, just felt like watching Bleach, which uses the exact same cliche, predictable formula.

Then there was just how stupid the police, characters were about suspecting Shunichi. I mean c'mon, how many incidents does he have to be involved in for people to [expletive] suspect he is more than a "high-school student"?

I give this an 8/10 as I did enjoy it overall, but the potential this series had could've been improved by more episodes to explain things better, fewer/no romance, and antagonists there had back-story or anything.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
I don't know. I don't hate on the ending, it wasn't a terrible ending, but it was a bit slowly paced and over-explanatory. I wouldn't have cut anything, per se, but I think if I were pacing the series out, I would have had the last episode be the last few minutes of ep 23, and then take all the stuff in this episode and compress it to about 3/4 to 1/2 the size, just a bit less soliloquy, but all the same bullet points.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19