• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Parasyte -the maxim-

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
I didn't think the ending was as bad as everyone says. Maybe a B- at the very least. Sure, it was a little boring, but it did a good job of summing up everything the series was trying to do. How would you guys have preferred the ending? All out war between humans and Parasytes? Or Murano really falling to her death?
Even though the last episode was slow, I found that the animation here is way better than I expected. I hate to compare two shows by two different studios with two completely different budgets, but I feel like saying that the facial and body movements were a lot more smooth and natural than some others series, say Tokyo Ghoul. Overall, I had fun watching Parasyte, and it presented itself to be a very engaging story. I would give the whole series probably somewhere between B+/A-.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I got 2 of my friend to watch the show and talked it over with them a few hours ago. One LOVED in and is now thinking about if it ended better then Bebop or not. (That is the better friend of course!) The other disliked the ending for all the reasons most will.
So even my "fan-base" is split down the middle. Awesome!
Another mini flaw in the animated version was too that Shinichi´s punch was less violent which made it looks human. I the manga the punch and speed clearly do not and it´s clear that his body is forever changed as he doesn´t blink an eye when he takes the knife. A shattered jaw would have shown that better.
One also needs to flip the page to see if Mariano (clearly waifu of the year Wink) made it or not which was VERY suspenseful and can last a lifetime. Here though it was clear that he saved the days the way it was framed. Whatever. Perfect is perfect. I said my piece on the anime and even recommend it to another (female) friend just now. The similar The Thing (1982) is my favorite horror movie and it even ends comparably. The the music is synthesizer-tastic too. 11/10 (and the game is ok).
I wonder if i should even watch the live action version or not as the trailer and the reception were meh. Nah i will but it´s probability another Gantz and not a Kenshin. On to One-Punch Man? I never warmed up to it but with Madhouse on board who know! Maybe the team should do Captain Planet next? It´s also about extreme environmental message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

One also needs to flip the page to see if Mariano (clearly waifu of the year Wink) made it or not which was VERY suspenseful and can last a lifetime. Here though it was clear that he saved the days the way it was framed. Whatever. Perfect is perfect.

Murano*
Yeah, it was kind of obvious he wasn't going to let Murano die. Migi coming out of his sleep one last time wasn't all that surprising, but I did find it mildly funny the way Migi stood up at the end.
Now, are you calling Murano waifu of the year for winter season in relation to 2014 or are you calling her that in terms of it being 2015 right now?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Like i said.The manga is way more ambiguous in the last chapter as to what would await Mr.Parasyte and Murano.
Who knows but she should win but was a real character who was allowed to just do her thing in the story and wasn´t a gimmick to sell you god knows what. Rio: Rainbow Gate! WTH?
She further was a 80s girlfriend without coming off a that and isn´t it amazing how much more interesting a women (there were many here... subtle-harem... NOT) in anime become when PLOT is avoided ? The manga shows her breast but that is well ...hm realism as the sex scene was needed. I even felt as if i am watching a real tv show! This may be half the reason why Titans is cleaning up as it is the definition of gender neutrality. No sex is also a selling factor Cool. Just a though and we had PP2, Bahamuth, ARISE and ... in 2014 so she had strong contenders. 2015 has good one too with ARISE ... wait what?
Madhouse is doing the 9/10 rom-com Ore Monogatari!! next too. Oh boy am i there second one. From my MU note: "Won the award for Best Shōjo Manga at the 37th Kodansha Manga Awards and was nominated for the 6th Manga Taishō in 2013. Was also nominated for the 18th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize "Reader Award" in 2014." That thing is a lock for top 5 anime of the year if they do it right. And they will! See you next season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:27 am Reply with quote
my thoughts after watching episode 23:

god this show has gotten stupid... no, it is beyond stupid. in one scene migi explodes gatou with an intent to kill. in the next scene, he feels remorse and does not want to finish him off? what a load of drivel. the entire fight leading up to this, where shinichi is able to hold off gatou and stall for as long as he did was the most drawn out nonsense i have seen in an anime in a very long time. it all felt so superficial and forced. he should have gotten torn to shreds... it was as if gatou miraculously decided to spare him for no reason... he may as well have debated politics with shinichi while he SLOWLY made his way towards him. i wish i had never started watching this series as by the half way mark it had already fallen on its face. what a wasted opportunity. after putting this much time into it, i have no choice now but to finish the damn thing. expecting the worst. it is not very often i get so frustrated over a petty anime of all things, but this show has succeeded in doing just that...
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Critics/reviewers on this site are Never satisfied
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:36 am Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
Critics/reviewers on this site are Never satisfied

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate or provide your own opinions instead of simply trolling the thread. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19