• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Actar wrote:
Even the return of their sacrifices was foreshadowed in the beach episode.

In what way in form was it foreshadowed that the faeries could apparently just disappear and thus free the girls from their forced servitude?

Taken from another board (yeah, I'm lazy, sue me)

"eat offerings" as in "get them back", get it?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't get it.

And I especially don't get how if Shinju can just relieve Heroes from duty then why didn't it do so with Sonoko? What was the purpose of keeping her around?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
And I especially don't get how if Shinju can just relieve Heroes from duty then why didn't he do so with Sonoko? What was the purpose of keeping her around?

It is clear she was a safeguard, asking Sonoko for more sacrifice would be hard, but there was no guarantee that next generation (Yuuna and friends) would be able to do the job, they could have been killed by the vertex in episode one, leaving only Karin available which all by herself would probably be crushed as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
And so the reason why Yuuna and co. are not the 'safeguard' now is... ? Keep in mind that they destroyed all 3 vertexes that attacked on their second day. Did they really need a safeguard after the Hero Club proved how strong they were that day?

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Actar wrote:
However, giving it some time and thinking it over, I actually believe that the series and ending is much smarter than what we're giving it credit for. Everything was foreshadowed and makes sense within the context of the universe that they have built. Even the return of their sacrifices was foreshadowed in the beach episode.

Okay cool then, so I can go to you for answers since apparently you have realized how the writers didn't pull this garbage ending out of their behind. In what way in form was it foreshadowed that the faeries could apparently just disappear and thus free the girls from their forced servitude?

Because from my eye, that just came out of nowhere for no reason without explanation. But hey, if you've think you can explain it to me so that it was within the boundaries of what the show had laid out then I am all ears to be informed.

Hey, it's fine if you don't like the show or my opinion, but you don't need to be a dick about it, thank you very much. Did you even read the rest of the comment?

It's a positive plot twist. The faeries didn't just disappear, the Shinju freed them. Nothing mentioned that they couldn't be freed. We, just like the girls, were just misled into thinking that they were bound forever. I assume that Tougou actions caused a massive dent in the Vertex forces (that big one was an amalgam of a ton of them) and put their invasion on hold.

Megiddo wrote:
And so the reason why Yuuna and co. are not the 'safeguard' now is... ?

When they say that they couldn't die, they didn't mean that they couldn't age or grow old. They only get protected from physical attacks via protection of the faeries. The Vertexes will take a long time to mobilize again, so by then, I'd assume that the gang would be too old to take on the role as heroes, necessitating a new force. Essentially, there is no need for heroes now.

Last edited by Actar on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I'd assume that the gang would be too old to take on the role as heroes.

Then do have to be old, just becoming adults (twenty years old by japanese standards) disqualifies them since they have to be innocent maidens to become sacrifices Heroes.

If they make a second season it makes sense it would be 10+ years in the future, the Taisha will research what kind of boys the girls like, hook them up and would not hesitate to help make the girls get pregnant even before marriage. Maybe even use some real magic so that they only have daughters.

[EDIT: Fixed tag. Look at how I did it for future reference. - Key]
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
The final episode mostly went like I had expected. Togo was brought around, although the way Yuna did it left me little unconvinced. I'll chalk that to Togo being desperate enough to take even what she feels is a lie.

The general atmosphere of the show had convinced me the girls would eventually "get better" but Shinju explicitly returning their sacrifices did feel more like a cop-out to me. This mostly because it seems to make taking them in the first place totally pointless, except as fourth-wall breaking drama creation. I had assumed Shinju needed them to power itself, but during this episode I realized it had completely been my assumption only, and their necessity had never been touched during the show. This makes me feel slightly disappointed, but I realize there probably was no other way to end the show on a positive note [that would feel even more contrived].

In similar way, Yuna's coma feels mostly like a stab at drama. Since Shinju was returning everything to them, it should have been super obvious to everyone that her coming around was a matter of "when" not "if."

It is interesting how they leave the show open-ended. New vertex attacks are inevitable as they endlessly regenerate, but they would be handled by a new team of heroes. It also feels slightly like an arms race. The outside became only recently capable of breaching Shinju's barrier in the form of vertices, and they were faced by Togo and Sonoko's team. Thanks to their efforts the second iteration of Hero System became aware of vertex souls and could destroy them. What will the response to that be?

Overall, this show goes straight to my best of the year list. My complaints are relatively minor when compared to it as a whole.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

Hey, it's fine if you don't like the show or my opinion, but you don't need to be a dick about it, thank you very much. Did you even read the rest of the comment?

It's a positive plot twist. The faeries didn't just disappear, the Shinju freed them. Nothing mentioned that they couldn't be freed. We, just like the girls, were just misled into thinking that they were bound forever. I assume that Tougou actions caused a massive dent in the Vertex forces (that big one was an amalgam of a ton of them) and put their invasion on hold.

I don't think I'm being a dick when simply taking you for your word. If somebody tells me that they can explain something that seemed like convenient plot contrived bullshit to me then of course I'm going to ask them to explain.

Now, let's tackle your argument for a second. Sonoko went mankai over 20 times and thus each time sacrificed some part of her being. We see her in a bed completely bandaged from head to toe. Yuuna and co. were obviously doing well on their own vanquishing the the vertex forces. So, keeping in mind that Shinju apparently can "free" a Hero from duty at any time and return their body to its functioning form, to what purpose is it to leave Sonoko as we saw her in the series and not simply "free" her from her service?

Because, again, I may be speaking out of line due to my admittance of not seeing some grand blueprint as you have seen through foreshadowing, but that seems to me to be the series completely forgoing its established principles and rules and instead, shall we say, using the power of (a) god to force a conclusion that, in my opinion, goes contrary of everything that had been set up regarding Heroes and their permanence in the fight -> mankai -> sacrifice -> fight loop that was clearly made known throughout the duration of the series.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So, keeping in mind that Shinju apparently can "free" a Hero from duty at any time and return their body to its functioning form

That couldn't be the case. If we assume that, it makes no sense for Taisha to be secretive about the Hero System's effects and continually lie to the girls. It is obvious that in face of how spectacularly the system came back to bite Shinju's ass, he(?) effectively changed his mind and decided to be less of a douche deity. Though this still does not explain why he wanted the sacrifices, except to be a douche.

Edit - thinking of this further, Shinju could have negated the effects of Sange simply by relieving Sonko and Togo of duty after the first wave of attacks and recalled them when further attacks became apparent. There wouldn't have even been the necessity of looking for new heroes to replace the old. Neither did Shinju release them to return their sacrifices after twelve vertices were destroyed and it was believed no further attacks would come. It is obvious that after the near-death experience, Shinju decided to change the rules to avoid another Togo incident.

Last edited by Tenebrae on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If somebody tells me that they can explain something that seemed like convenient plot contrived bullshit to me then of course I'm going to ask them to explain.

I'm not talking about the presumptuous assumption that you're making that I'm obligated to explain everything to you, but the sarcastic nature of your post.

Megiddo wrote:
Now, let's tackle your argument for a second. Sonoko went mankai over 20 times and thus each time sacrificed some part of her being. We see her in a bed completely bandaged from head to toe. Yuuna and co. were obviously doing well on their own vanquishing the the vertex forces. So, keeping in mind that Shinju apparently can "free" a Hero from duty at any time and return their body to its functioning form, to what purpose is it to leave Sonoko as we saw her in the series and not simply "free" her from her service?

Quote from Episode 10 (16:34): "Actually, my goal is to stop the current Heroes if they go out of control for any reason." Why didn't she stop Tougou when she went berserk? That's because (16:29) "I'm on your (Tougou's) side, no matter what conclusion you come to."

Megiddo wrote:
Because, again, I may be speaking out of line due to my admittance of not seeing some grand blueprint as you have seen through foreshadowing, but that seems to me to be the series completely forgoing its established principles and rules and instead, shall we say, using the power of (a) god to force a conclusion that, in my opinion, goes contrary of everything that had been set up regarding Heroes and their permanence in the fight -> mankai -> sacrifice -> fight loop that was clearly made known throughout the duration of the series.

Yes, but the loop is broken now. There is no longer any need for Heroes anymore for the foreseeable future.

mangamuscle wrote:
Then do have to be old, just becoming adults (twenty years old by japanese standards) disqualifies them since they have to be innocent maidens to become <s>sacrifices</s>Heroes.

Yup. Quote from Episode 8 (17:55): "Grown-ups can't have the power of the Shinju-sama."

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Taisha never stated in the show that their bodily functions will be taken away forever. In fact, they outright stated that any side-effects were temporary.

Tenebrae wrote:
Edit - thinking of this further, Shinju could have negated the effects of Sange simply by relieving Sonko and Togo of duty after the first wave of attacks and recalled them when further attacks became apparent. There wouldn't have even been the necessity of looking for new heroes to replace the old. Neither did Shinju release them to return their sacrifices after twelve vertices were destroyed and it was believed no further attacks would come. It is obvious that after the near-death experience, Shinju decided to change the rules to avoid another Togo incident.

You're forgetting that the Mankai is like a level-up system where you get more and more powerful each time you experience Mankai. Not to mention, the suits all evolve to compensate for the disabilities. With a constant threat, it would be foolish to let go of your high-level characters only to recruit them from Level 1 again later.

Tenebrae wrote:
That couldn't be the case. If we assume that, it makes no sense for Taisha to be secretive about the Hero System's effects and continually lie to the girls. It is obvious that in face of how spectacularly the system came back to bite Shinju's ass, he(?) effectively changed his mind and decided to be less of a douche deity. Though this still does not explain why he wanted the sacrifices, except to be a douche.

Okay, so why did the Shinjuu keep the Sange aspect of the Hero System a secret. According to Sonoko, it's "out of kindness". Essentially, they're keeping quiet so as not to disillusion the girls and prevent them from wanting to be heroes and performing their duties.

But, why not just tell them that they can be healed from the get go? They kind of did. But as I see it, it's not whether the disabilities can be healed or not, but it's about the time wasted and the drop of the quality of life - which to be fair is compensated with a high standard of living. If the girls had known about the downside of the system from the beginning in addition to the dangers that they had to face, I highly doubt anyone would bother being Heroes.

(But the whole point of the show is that Yuuna and the girls did, despite knowing about it.)

Last edited by Actar on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Taisha never stated in the show that their bodily functions will be taken away forever. In fact, they outright stated that any side-effects were temporary.

We still do not know for sure if the Taisha knew or it just happened that what they told was true. Someone said in another board (supposedly from the novels) that Yuuna & co are only the second generation of heroes (what they did with previous sacrifices, make them explode terrorist style once the vertex eat them?) and since they had not released Togo or Sonoko, they have no factual proof (maybe only the shinju-sama word for it) that they would become whole again.

Quote:
You're forgetting that the Mankai is like a level-up system where you get more and more powerful each time you experience Mankai. Not to mention, the suits all evolve to compensate for the disabilities. With a constant threat, it would be foolish to let go of your high-level characters only to recruit them from Level 1 again later.

I think it is implied that once they are released from their sacrifices duties, they cannot become a hero ever again, the same that you do not use the same piece of bread more than once as offering to the gods.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Gotcha gotcha.

So take two convenient plot contrivances.

1) The vertex threat has apparently somehow been eliminated despite appearing to be a perpetual infinite enemy that surrounds the entirety of the remaining world
2) Shinju-sama's heart grew 3 sizes that day and decided that just taking a random part of a little girl's body wasn't very nice.

I see, you are correct. The ending can be explained with both of those convenient plot contrivances. Thanks for the quotes and answering my questions Actar. They honestly did help me understand how the ending has been written.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Quote from Episode 10 (16:34): "Actually, my goal is to stop the current Heroes if they go out of control for any reason." Why didn't she stop Tougou when she went berserk? That's because (16:29) "I'm on your (Tougou's) side, no matter what conclusion you come to."

This pretty much means that Shinju intended to keep the sacrifices, even to the point of having a safeguard in case heroes would learn the truth and take umbrage. It did not work though as the safeguard was equally pissed off and sided with the rebel.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo. What in the world are you smoking?

Megiddo wrote:

1) The vertex threat has apparently somehow been eliminated despite appearing to be a perpetual infinite enemy that surrounds the entirety of the remaining world

It has not been eliminated, but only delayed. By that time, a new group of Heroes will be necessary as Yuuna and the gang will be too old.

Megiddo wrote:

2) Shinju-sama's heart grew 3 sizes that day and decided that just taking a random part of a little girl's body wasn't very nice.

I never said that. Please re-read my post in its entirety.

Tenebrae wrote:
Actar wrote:

This pretty much means that Shinju intended to keep the sacrifices, even to the point of having a safeguard in case heroes would learn the truth and take umbrage. It did not work though as the safeguard was equally pissed off and sided with the rebel.

Yeah, that's actually one way to look at it. However, as I interpret it, they only remain Heroes until they reach a certain age or until the threat no longer exists. To me, the Sange was never about the disabilities healing or not. It was about the fact that they had to live a period of their lives in an incapacitated state.

Last edited by Actar on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Alright Actar, at your behest I went back and rewatched the start of the second half to get a clear representation of the message sent to Karin from Taisha. The only thing it says is that the enemy attack has ceased indefinitely. Please tell me where it states that the next attack won't be until Yuuna and co are in their adulthood. That appears to be nothing but conjecture as I can't recall anything to support that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10