• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Alright Actar, at your behest I went back and rewatched the start of the second half to get a clear representation of the message sent to Karin from Taisha. The only thing it says is that the enemy attack has ceased indefinitely. Please tell me where it states that the next attack won't be until Yuuna and co are in their adulthood. That appears to be nothing but conjecture as I can't recall anything to support that.

I do admit that a) it's conjecture and you don't have to agree with me and that b) the show's not explicit enough.

As I mentioned, it's my interpretation based on my own observations and that's how I make sense of it. If you ask me, another valid way to look at it is that the Shinju deemed that they were all no longer fit to be heroes due to their shenanigans and "relieved them" - giving them a coy message about the fighting being "ceased indefinitely". Until we have a second season or further confirmation, we can only guess.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Yeah, that's actually one way to look at it. However, as I interpret it, they only remain Heroes until they reach a certain age or until the threat no longer exists. To me, the Sange was never about the disabilities healing or not. It was about the fact that they had to live a period of their lives in an incapacitated state.

Very well, I guess we'll have to disagree. As I see it, if the sacrifices were meant to be temporary, there was no sense in keeping them a secret, and no good reason to take them in the first place, and they could have been returned at convenience. There would have been only a narrative reason, which would have been to make the heroes resent Shinju.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
The actual verb they use is 治まる 【おさまる】 to be at peace, to clamp down, to lessen (storm, terror, anger) or (by google translate) Subside/be at peace/clamp down.

I do not think to say the vertex battles have ended for the near future (10+ years) is mere viewer speculation since the Shinju has its survival at stake, he cannot see the future but no doubt has a better understanding of the outside world battlefield than anyone else.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The actual verb they use is 治まる 【おさまる】 to be at peace, to clamp down, to lessen (storm, terror, anger) or (by google translate) Subside/be at peace/clamp down.

I do not think to say the vertex battles have ended for the near future (10+ years) is mere viewer speculation since the Shinju has its survival at stake, he cannot see the future but n doubt has a better understanding of the outside world battlefield than anyone else.

That's a good point. If I were to translate the line 「当分の間、敵の襲来は治まる」, I think "For the time being, the enemy's attack has subsided." would be a little more accurate.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
One possibility that's being overlooked here is that the Taisha weren't actually lying when they told Fu that the effects were only temporary. We only assumed that they were because we were following the girls' viewpoints (and they jumped to certain conclusions based on limited knowledge and assumptions) and are used to deceptions like that being pulled. The writing has, after all, played with audience expectations before.

If true, this would support the contention that the sacrifices of bodily functions by the girls were always meant to be more security deposits than actual payments, perhaps even a built-in limiter to discourage the girls from using their powers recklessly or becoming dangerously powerful.

I also do agree with the interpretation that the Vertexes getting into the border space as they did may have been a stress-limitation action by Shinju-sama - i.e., they were let in deliberately and under controlled circumstances to prevent too much pressure from building against the wall. Mimori thus actually inadvertently did the Shinju-sama a favor by breaching the wall and drawing in both the smaller Vertexes and the particularly big one so they could be dealt with in one get-go, which was why she never had her powers withdrawn and wasn't punished. That would explain why the Taisha knew exactly how many were coming and were confident at the end that things were secure enough to permanently release the girls from service.

Hmmm. This actually resolves most of the minor issues I had with the last episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
One last theory I heard somewhere else. They say that Yuuna was the only Hero that was not covered in petals after the last vertex battle. The petals (and the faeries disappearing) could be interpreted as the Shinju releasing them from the <s>magical girl</s>Hero contract.

From that point onwards their bodily functions improved and later on completely healed. But Yuuna showed no sign of improving whatsoever, as if her soul was not inside that body. The theory goes that she used all of her body on mankai and therefore all of her body became a log. If a body part becoming a log is sign that the power of the shinju entering a hero's body, then what happens when all of the body is full of shinju's divine power? One assumption is that she trascended humanity.

There are two scenes that might be related, first she is tasting a bowl of food, the moment she tastes the noodles she looks puzzled, my first thought is that after not having tasted anything for weeks, the taste took her by surprise, but maybe the surprise was that she still could not taste anything and started acting as it was delicious to prevent her friends from suffering any more stress.

Later she suddenly faints but recovers almost automatically (when you faint due to fatigue or low blood pressure you do not recover in a jiffy). At first I thought it was the author playing with our feelings, I almost heard him saying "You thought this was happy ending, now taste despair, muahaha". But what if the bodily functions of Yuuna's body ceased at that moment, only to be reanimated directly by her divine(?) power?

Of course we would need a second season, OVA or light novel to know for sure, at this point this is mere speculation.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One possibility that's being overlooked here is that the Taisha weren't actually lying when they told Fu that the effects were only temporary. We only assumed that they were because we were following the girls' viewpoints (and they jumped to certain conclusions based on limited knowledge and assumptions) and are used to deceptions like that being pulled. The writing has, after all, played with audience expectations before.

If true, this would support the contention that the sacrifices of bodily functions by the girls were always meant to be more security deposits than actual payments, perhaps even a built-in limiter to discourage the girls from using their powers recklessly or becoming dangerously powerful.

I also do agree with the interpretation that the Vertexes getting into the border space as they did may have been a stress-limitation action by Shinju-sama - i.e., they were let in deliberately and under controlled circumstances to prevent too much pressure from building against the wall. Mimori thus actually inadvertently did the Shinju-sama a favor by breaching the wall and drawing in both the smaller Vertexes and the particularly big one so they could be dealt with in one get-go, which was why she never had her powers withdrawn and wasn't punished. That would explain why the Taisha knew exactly how many were coming and were confident at the end that things were secure enough to permanently release the girls from service.

Hmmm. This actually resolves most of the minor issues I had with the last episode.

The part about letting the Vertex in is sound theory. A very simple and common tactic in real battles is to draw your enemies into a controlled space to wipe them out all at once (assuming you have the power to do so). I doubt the Shinju particularly wanted to risk it, but can't argue with the results. If it does take some time for the more powerful Vertex to revive, then the last battle should theoretically buy some decent amount of time.

The deal with the sacrifices still seems much more murky to me. I do agree, the fact that the Taisha kept saying they didn't know, or that they would probably recover, does lend some credence to the idea that they were ultimately telling the truth. At the same time, it's not exactly in their best interest to say, "yeah, you're slowly descending into an immobile lump of flesh left alive to be worshiped in perpetuity". If it comes down to a matter of keeping their powers in check, the Shinju through the fairies seemed to have the ability to take or give them powers at will. If they started doing something it didn't want, what was to stop the Shinju from just taking their powers away, or limiting how much they were given in the first place? Furthermore, taking away basic bodily functions like eyesight or the ability to walk seems extremely counterproductive to your only fighting force protecting your lives if all you want is them to not try to kill you - which as demonstrated by Togo was a faulty premise not only that she ended up trying to destroy the Shinju, but proved their powers aren't even capable of doing so.

I further have great suspicion about how it is they all seemed to just suddenly reclaim their physical abilities and were healed. The explanation of them sacrificing parts of their bodies to use the super power made sense, in a terrible way. Even the working theory the girls came up with made sense in its own way, though it stretched credulity for one to lose their sense of taste from a battle like that. Using the term sacrifice further does not exactly convey the idea of being able to regain what was lost. Yes, that could be the fault of the way Sonoko described things though.

Togo was without her legs for months, and the girl Sonoko that told them everything was laid up in bed missing most of her limbs and bandaged all over for at least as long, alluded to be longer. Her suddenly having regained all her limbs and movement seems like either very convenient writing just to say it's a happy ending, or setup as her being something like Togo - a hero who for whatever reason switched sides and turned on the Shinju.

I will concede it may have been a result of running out of time more than anything, but the fact that Togo isn't shown regaining any memories of the friends she was apparently willing to risk her life alongside is also still suspicious. Furthermore, even before all of that, that Sonoko was able to pull away two of them on their return from a fight suggests that at the very least she has a power that the others don't know how to use yet, since they thought the Shinju just always reset them on the school's roof - not even directly at the hospital after they started suffering the side-effects/sacrifice.

That all oculd be paranoia on my part, I do admit. However, the way the last episode is written leaves too many unanswered questions and inconsistencies in the basic story. There needs to be a proper supplement (an OVA, a new season) to iron out the details better.
vladthetransilvanian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
This was a great series and deffinitly in my top 10 of 2014.
It managed to toy very well with my mind, making me wonder if it's gonna turn out like Madoka Magika and even made me shed some tears.
I also found it kind of ironic how the story is from the same person who wrote Akame ga Kill.

As for the possibility of a sequel, it seems very likely. Also, the prequel light novel about Tougou ended already and it's only one volume long, so a movie adaptation should be able to cover it easily.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
If the Shinju could have solved all of its problems for the foreseeable future by letting in some big honkin Vertexes and sent a bunch of girls to go bat $%#@ crazy on them, then don't you think it would have done that a LONG time ago rather than just streaming in the smaller ones from time to time? I don't think that explanation holds any water. It was a convenient contrivance to give us a certain measure of closure after the final episode. They had to allow us to believe that the threat was over for a long time (or "indefinitely" - however you want to interpret it), because otherwise it would be harder to buy the deus ex of the girls suddenly being relieved of all suffering and having a big "RESET" button get pushed. If the threat was still there, heroes would still be needed, and sacrifices would still be necessary.

I think people trying to absolve this show of all of its issues, whether minor or large, are relying on a biased perspective. They're looking for ways to excuse things rather than accepting the imperfections for what they are. People can do that if they want to, of course, but that's going to be a relatively small number of people who are going to see this show as perfect or near perfect.

I think this show was very good. However, there were a lot of issues too.

On the plus side, the show exceeded my expectations as far as the emotional heft. In the early episodes, I was kind of bored on that front. There didn't seem to be much weight to the girl's fighting or interactions, which made it seem like dull action, cute girls doing cute things, and light fan-service (I say light because aside from some early HEAVY fan-service scenes mostly focused on Togo, the service more or less vanished after that). Although there was no weight in the early going, the action still kept me moderately entertained. However, in the show's second half, they amped up the emotional weight significantly. The suffering imposed on the girls was rather extreme - sure it could have been even worse, but the whole aspect of forcing them to get worse and worse disabilities as "payment" for saving the world was a bit harsh. Given how cutesy and sweet all these girls are, there was a massive dose of Moe going on there. It's not a critique. It worked. I think the Moe was handled pretty well, and inflicted significant emotional damage to the audience. That level of Moe is not even so simple to pull off without it seeming totally cheap. (Like in the first episode of Kotoura-san). But here, they played off the established relationships of the girls to make their suffering seem real. I give the writers kudos for their skill there.

There were also some really smart ideas in the show. Togo was a very great character idea, not just because we like to see diversity of disabled people, but because she is a great idea for a fantasy character. The Magical Girl genre is all about fantasy of an ordinary girl being granted power to become something special and greater than she is in her normal life to do wonderful things. So, there is something highly appealing about the fantasy of someone who is permanently disabled rising up out of their wheelchair and "walking" again, so to speak. Any person inflicted with such a disability would dream about such a possibility, so it is the perfect fertile ground for a magical girl and I am really amazed it has not been really done sooner (or if it has been done in previous shows, they haven't been very prominent). Whoever came up with that here was very smart, or at least thinking outside the box in some ways as far as previous magical girl shows.

Another big positive is the show's overarching message. It carries a very strong message of virtue and hope. In keeping with the earlier Madoka comparisons, I think the message here is superior to that in Madoka. People like to say that Madoka had a hopeful message, but I don't think it did. I think Madoka's message was more about sacrifice pure and simple. It was essentially a Christ-like story of ultimate sacrifice for the ultimate Good. In my opinion, the only real message you can take away from Madoka is that Madoka herself is some kind of saint and we should all revere her. Beyond that, there's a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo about "innocent girl's dreams" and whatnot that doesn't make any sense no matter how many times people come up with tortured explanations of it. Yuki Yuna however had a very coherent message about virtue and hope which was consistent and reinforced again and again, especially in the final episode. The message was also channeled through the ideals of the "Hero Club," which had rules about being a good person and "succeeding if you try." This show never doubted what it's message was and did a great job of making sure that the audience understood it loud and clear too.

I mentioned this before, but the fact that the show spent a good amount of time showing us the relationships and comradery between the girls was smart. It caused the gut-punches to be impactful rather than phony.

I'm not going to go through everything that was positive about the show, but there were a lot of things to like.

However, there were also numerous problems.

The big one that I have discussed at some length previously is the fact that there was no active role character in the show. Everyone was a passive role character, just being affected by what was happening around them and reacting to those things. These type of characters are less compelling by nature. They don't have vision, in that they can only really see what is right in front of them at any given moment. As a result, they don't act to shape some larger goal or bigger picture. This is where Madoka shined greatest. Homura and Kyubey both filled that role, I suppose in an antagonistic relationship. They were superb characters (in the first series... don't hold me to that in the follow-up movie and other stuff). Their stories were so compelling that it made the rest of the show fantastic. The lack of such superb individual character work in Yuki Yuna is glaring, ESPECIALLY given the opportunity of the Togo character. She should have been an even more compelling character than Homura or Kyubey. She should have, but she wasn't. I simply cannot forgive this! Seriously though, they just really dropped the ball there.

The fairies... The only plus to the fairies is the fact that some of them were pretty cute. Yuki's cow fairy was a great idea. However, the big downside to them is that they were almost totally throw-away characters. At the end of the day, they added nothing to the show other than some silly antics. This is an unwelcome departure from the magical girl show norm of the mascot character. Such characters do usually bring the cuteness to the table, but they also bring many other things that were lacking here. They are often very useful for helping the magical girl (and the audience by extension) with acclimating to the magical world. They smooth that transition with their knowledge and guidance. We didn't have any of that here, and the show did suffer for it. The transition between these girls being normal girls and then magical girls was pretty much non-existent. One afternoon they were just regular school girls, and then all the sudden they were magical girls on a mission, and that almost seemed so natural to all of them as if they had already known they were magical girls and had been doing the whole battling thing for years. That felt totally fake. Additionally, mascot characters tend to function in some ways as a "straight man" to the girls' eccentricities. That sort of comedic relationship between the girl and mascot makes the shows a lot more fun. They tried to do some of that here by making the fairies so goofy, but it just wasn't the same, I think largely because they didn't seem particularly sentient. They were more akin to mindless pets, which again is sort of cute, but doesn't add much beyond that.

As I mentioned before, the ending also had problems of the ass-pull variety. That being said, I'm not so certain that I disliked the ending. It was very upbeat and positive. I do like upbeat endings, and it fit with this show's overall message of virtue and hope. However, it was still an ass-pull. There's not much explanation for why the girls are all suddenly healed. We are simply to accept that the Shinju "relieved" them, but there is no way for us to understand how that happened and why it didn't happen before. Much of the show's emotional weight was premised on the girls being permanently disabled. To have that all swept under the rug at the last second does feel like there's a bit of cheating going on. Again, I did like the positivity of the ending, but the explanation was sorely lacking and that is kind of inexcusable for such a key component.

I won't go through all the problems here either. Maybe I'll talk about others in a follow-up post.

But yea, this show was a lot more balanced than some of its ardent fans want to admit. I still think it was pretty good, but there were some significant flaws too.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
First, full props to Theron for rating this show so highly. I had not been following this show, but after seeing you put it in your top 5 for the year (and noting your general feelings is similar to my own) I started it this week and blew through it. I did enjoy it a great deal, one thing people might want to consider:

What if the WHOLE thing is one big con? All things considered, I don't expect this is the case, but what if instead of "protecting" the people, the shinjuu are keeping this "world" in a cage? What if the whole vertex invasion is fake? (We have a fake world, that is peeled back to reveal the "battle" world, which in turn masks the "real" world. What if the "real" world is just ANOTHER illusion placed to force the girls to fight the vertex?) Early on, the girls note that the vertex soul "destructions" are "weird", but what if the vertex are trying to "free" the people from shinjuu's cage and the shinjuu are doing everything to keep them there?

In THAT context, the finale makes perfect sense, because Togo ALMOST freed everyone, so rather than risk that, the shinjuu restored all the cast so that they don't cause further problems. Another interesting point in a similar vein that I haven't seen raised. Why (or how) was Yuna able to stop the final vertex? In the final scene, Yuna breaks through to the soul BUT when she gets there all her shinjuu power is gone/removed. In the end, she just touches the vertex as herself, a "normal" girl. A more interesting question is, what if the VERTEX restored the girls physically (removed the shinjuu's ... "corruption"?) right before being repelled from the shinjuu's construct world?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I like the show, but I also have to vote for "ass-pull" on the ending. The problem with the explanations of the endings I've seen here is that they feel seriously at odds with the thematic context of the show. Deep machinations, insurance, strategic war decisions... none of it really 'fits' in my opinion. Things working out in the end is one of the hero club rules. If you told me that by sacrificing what they did, they became objects of worship and their rules became part of the Shinju, and thus affected the way the world works, it would still be silly, but that would seem more fitting.

Overall, I think that the happy ending missed an opportunity to use "things work out in the end" to tell a more interesting message about the girls learning to accept their disabilities and still living good lives, starting with finding a way to pull off the play even in their crippled states. That would be Hero Club and Yuna all the way, a positive, hopeful ending, and not feel at all like a cop-out.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
They had to allow us to believe that the threat was over for a long time (or "indefinitely" - however you want to interpret it), because otherwise it would be harder to buy the deus ex of the girls suddenly being relieved of all suffering and having a big "RESET" button get pushed. If the threat was still there, heroes would still be needed, and sacrifices would still be necessary.

I think people trying to absolve this show of all of its issues, whether minor or large, are relying on a biased perspective. They're looking for ways to excuse things rather than accepting the imperfections for what they are. People can do that if they want to, of course, but that's going to be a relatively small number of people who are going to see this show as perfect or near perfect.

Two key points in all the argument and text above that aren't being considered: 1) It isn't established that the girls recovering was part of the Shinju's plan or even an act it performed. 2) The outcome of the girls recovering cost the Shinju nothing. It may have given up something you can't see in order to bring it about.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
There were also some really smart ideas in the show. Togo was a very great character idea, not just because we like to see diversity of disabled people, but because she is a great idea for a fantasy character. The Magical Girl genre is all about fantasy of an ordinary girl being granted power to become something special and greater than she is in her normal life to do wonderful things. So, there is something highly appealing about the fantasy of someone who is permanently disabled rising up out of their wheelchair and "walking" again, so to speak. Any person inflicted with such a disability would dream about such a possibility, so it is the perfect fertile ground for a magical girl and I am really amazed it has not been really done sooner (or if it has been done in previous shows, they haven't been very prominent). Whoever came up with that here was very smart, or at least thinking outside the box in some ways as far as previous magical girl shows.

I'm still going with the theory that someone on staff personally knows someone who is similarly physically disabled. The details are just too good for it to be a casual reference. (But I did wonder a little bit why Mimori didn't have a motorized wheelchair, since the Taisha were clearly providing for her well otherwise. Guess it would have gotten in the way of the scenes where Yuna pushes her around.)

Quote:
The big one that I have discussed at some length previously is the fact that there was no active role character in the show. Everyone was a passive role character, just being affected by what was happening around them and reacting to those things. These type of characters are less compelling by nature. They don't have vision, in that they can only really see what is right in front of them at any given moment. As a result, they don't act to shape some larger goal or bigger picture. This is where Madoka shined greatest. Homura and Kyubey both filled that role, I suppose in an antagonistic relationship. They were superb characters (in the first series... don't hold me to that in the follow-up movie and other stuff). Their stories were so compelling that it made the rest of the show fantastic. The lack of such superb individual character work in Yuki Yuna is glaring, ESPECIALLY given the opportunity of the Togo character. She should have been an even more compelling character than Homura or Kyubey. She should have, but she wasn't. I simply cannot forgive this! Seriously though, they just really dropped the ball there.

I don't see this as a problem at all, though, since there was clearly never meant to be a stand-out character here. PMMM did have that, and I actually felt that the relationships between the girls in that one, comparably speaking to this one, weren't as tight as a result.

Quote:
The fairies... The only plus to the fairies is the fact that some of them were pretty cute. Yuki's cow fairy was a great idea. However, the big downside to them is that they were almost totally throw-away characters. At the end of the day, they added nothing to the show other than some silly antics. This is an unwelcome departure from the magical girl show norm of the mascot character. Such characters do usually bring the cuteness to the table, but they also bring many other things that were lacking here. They are often very useful for helping the magical girl (and the audience by extension) with acclimating to the magical world. They smooth that transition with their knowledge and guidance. We didn't have any of that here, and the show did suffer for it. The transition between these girls being normal girls and then magical girls was pretty much non-existent. One afternoon they were just regular school girls, and then all the sudden they were magical girls on a mission, and that almost seemed so natural to all of them as if they had already known they were magical girls and had been doing the whole battling thing for years. That felt totally fake. Additionally, mascot characters tend to function in some ways as a "straight man" to the girls' eccentricities. That sort of comedic relationship between the girl and mascot makes the shows a lot more fun. They tried to do some of that here by making the fairies so goofy, but it just wasn't the same, I think largely because they didn't seem particularly sentient. They were more akin to mindless pets, which again is sort of cute, but doesn't add much beyond that.

Also didn't see this as a problem, since I normally hate mascot characters.

Quote:
As I mentioned before, the ending also had problems of the ass-pull variety. That being said, I'm not so certain that I disliked the ending. It was very upbeat and positive. I do like upbeat endings, and it fit with this show's overall message of virtue and hope. However, it was still an ass-pull. There's not much explanation for why the girls are all suddenly healed. We are simply to accept that the Shinju "relieved" them, but there is no way for us to understand how that happened and why it didn't happen before. Much of the show's emotional weight was premised on the girls being permanently disabled. To have that all swept under the rug at the last second does feel like there's a bit of cheating going on. Again, I did like the positivity of the ending, but the explanation was sorely lacking and that is kind of inexcusable for such a key component.

I thought about this quite a bit while writing the review, and ultimately decided that even if I accepted it as a bit of an ass-pull, it was still a better-executed one than most. Still, I think there's plenty enough room for interpretation here that alternate explanations don't have to be just "making excuses."

And yes, I am also still floored that this was created by the same person who created AKG.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
Furthermore, taking away basic bodily functions like eyesight or the ability to walk seems extremely counterproductive to your only fighting force protecting your lives

Remember than when togo lost her legs she gained some form of artificial mobility in Hero form and no doubt Karin also had some kind of vision/heraing when in Hero form. I agree that taking their mobility was a result of the shinju's power entering fragile human bodies, not part of a scheme to control them (not to say the shinju was not manipulating them with other methods).

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If the Shinju could have solved all of its problems for the foreseeable future by letting in some big honkin Vertexes and sent a bunch of girls to go bat $%#@ crazy on them, then don't you think it would have done that a LONG time ago rather than just streaming in the smaller ones from time to time?

Lets not forget that at the start the girls lacked experience (in battle and in the use of their powers). Opening a big hole from day one would just have killed the girls. Then the girls teamwork provided better results than the prior generation. The shinju could have given the girls a vision telling them to lure the last vertex inside, but they could have just said they would wait for it to enter, so it was a better move to manipulate them. How? Easy, how kind Sonoka had been trying to summon the girls (no doubt she has a teleportation faerie that she can summon if she concentrates really hard) for a long time, but only managed when the 12 vertex were defeated? The shinju allowed her fairie to transport Togo and also brough Yuuna (which Sonoko had no intention in teleporting) to be her witness (no easy, it was dream scapegoat for the Taisha). The shinju's plan all along was for Togo to go nuts with grief to lure the last vertex into a false sense of security and then have the five girls blast him.

Key wrote:
Guess it would have gotten in the way of the scenes where Yuna pushes her around.)

It would have prevented the deep bonding between Togo and Yuuna, which no doubt was key for their teamwork and final victories. Yeah, I think the Shinju's manipulations make Kyuubei look like a grade schooler.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Key wrote:
Guess it would have gotten in the way of the scenes where Yuna pushes her around.)

It would have prevented the deep bonding between Togo and Yuuna, which no doubt was key for their teamwork and final victories. Yeah, I think the Shinju's manipulations make Kyuubei look like a grade schooler.

Yup. Also, personally speaking, I like that they didn't go with a motorized wheelchair because not only does it require quite a bit more maintenance, it really takes away any semblance of independent mobility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10