• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
F/SN: UBW anime thread - new request

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
But it's not "off topic" in the general sense of the term. The thread title is "Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV)," and discussion of the VN and Zero are all related because they're all a part of the same franchise. It's just unfortunate that some users wanna' push for deeper discussion more than others because of their more "intimate" knowledge of the other material.

"Off topic," from my experience here in that last decade, has always been more about the really obvious stuff, like how a Talkback thread for a licensing announcement turns into a flamewar for geopolitics and political soapboxing, or when a Retail thread goes from importation methods, to AoA pricing, to stock market and mortgage discussions.

Would be great to have in Ignore, button, though..
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
voluntary consideration on the part of the perpetrators

Boy how I wish this happened, ever, even once.

"Talking about how the show compares to the VN it's based on is off-topic" is a really tough argument to make.

What you're asking for is for us to tell the zealots to please be aware that by focusing on that to the exclusion of everything else and dogpiling the thread to the point where nobody else can talk about anything but that, they're making the thread an obnoxious unreadable headache-inducing nightmare.

Here's what will happen if we do that:

1. accusations of being hitler/censorship

2. roundabout sealion arguments about how their perspective is perfectly valid and they don't see any reason why anyone would be annoyed by it

3. absolutely no change in behavior, complaints for up to 2 years afterward that we tried to hitler them

It's kind of a lose-lose no matter what we do. Can't ban them for not breaking rules, can't make an exception in this case because that is legitimately not fair. All I can do is try to appeal to some sense of social grace, which in my experience is always sealioned into oblivion.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I completely understand the difficulty a situation like this presents for admin/mods. That's why I was trying to see if there was a work around like being able to start up a parallel discussion thread, but one where the stipulation was that in the beta thread you simply couldn't discuss source material matters.

However, again, I can see that allowing that would be problematic since it sets a precedence and I can imagine you being deluged with requests for duplicate, triplicate, whatevericate threads to purge some unwanted element.

In the grand scheme of things, this is a minor matter and even just being able to vent about it was satisfying. Ultimately, I'm just going to have to avoid that thread, I guess.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ultimately, I'm just going to have to avoid that thread, I guess.

Yeah, might be a good idea Blood-, and don't look back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:10 am Reply with quote
Here's the thing. I was also annoyed by the sequel prequel bs that took place in that thread, because it was pointless semantics and Vaisaga whining about spoiler policy. You can make a new thread, but the same thing can happen there as well, because I sincerely doubt that watchers will simply split in two camps and go to different threads.

As a "Type Moonie", yes I want to discuss the differences with the visual novel as well, because my expectations on this show include not just a good anime, but also a good adaptation (which doesn't mean word to word copying). I can keep it in check, but I probably won't stop it unless a mod asks to.

That being said, I haven't seen much discussion about anime itself either. Blood, you haven't posted there since the first episode aired I think. Actually I haven't seen many opinions about show itself since it began. If people want to talk about the show, they should do that instead of avoiding the thread, if just to steer the discussion away from the vn.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Quote:
If people want to talk about the show, they should do that instead of avoiding the thread, if just to steer the discussion away from the vn.

Probably not possible and definitely not worth the effort. Any attempt to "steer the discussion" is going to be lost in the forest of other posts. Every time I try to check the thread all I see are walls of text with spoiler patches. As you pointed out, every attempt to discuss any aspect of the franchise tends to get swamped in a similar manner.

The irony is that this TV series so far works fine as a stand alone show without any prior knowledge.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Probably not possible and definitely not worth the effort. Any attempt to "steer the discussion" is going to be lost in the forest of other posts. Every time I try to check the thread all I see are walls of text with spoiler patches. As you pointed out, every attempt to discuss any aspect of the franchise tends to get swamped in a similar manner.

Well, what can I say. I recently read through a 25-page discussion about how Saber shouldn't be able to cut Berserker due to the rpg mechanics in the visual novel. I guess I'm getting numb to somewhat milder things.

I'll minimize talk about the vn from my part, because It's also interesting for me to read the thoughts of those who don't have previous experience with Nasuverse or at least with the source.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'd certainly appreciate your voluntary cooperation in not allowing that thread to get bogged down in source material navel-gazing, ji07045. Every little bit helps. As even just this thread makes clear, I am obviously not alone in my desire to see less of that kind of discussion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2