• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Wanna Be the Strongest in the World Wrestling Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Funimation, you have earned a little bit of my respect with this because you just, quite shamelessly, proved that you will license anything as long as it sells. Because of that fact, you have also earned much of my contempt.

I wish the dub actors were spared from this garbage, but ah well.

This is one show I hope they don't do a faithful dub for, at least let it be a funny dub or have re-written like the High School of the Dead dub did - seriously though, out of all unlicensed anime, why'd they bother picking up this series?

Two words: Sex sells.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Funi just license Parasyte already instead of schlock like this.

This I agreed with you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:

If I were a gambling man, I'd say FUNimation was after something. Judging that Sentai already has claim on just about everything from ARMS of value now, I'd say Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny as well as the upcoming Ikki Tousen OVA are what's on the table.

Doubtful, since YTV doesn't hold the license for those.
Though them being after something, I might have to agree with.
Maybe JINSEI, since it did pop up on the RSS list of shows at one point before it was taken off.
Maybe Magic Kaito 1412 since it got a stream in France.
I would be kind of sad if it was Dragon Crisis! though, I always expected that one to pop up as a Sentai title.

Also, given Sentai's recent announcement of Brynhildr in the Darkness, I expect Wolf Girl and Black Prince might pop up in the near future as a Fall 2014 announcement from them.

Last edited by The Coffee God on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Not really my kink, but licensing seems to have been growing more and more lucrative in the last three years...yeah. I'm just happy we a starting to see some premium box sets across the field. If you don't like it, don't buy it, I guess.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shocked by the blush-inducing beating taken by her friend, Sakura vows to get her heavenly curves ready to rumble and redeem the good name of idols everywhere by becoming a bona fide diva of the pro-wrestling world.

A prelude to a heel turn if ever I heard of one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Why, wasn't this show a flop. You should of outbid Sentai and got Space Brothers, that would of been a money spinner.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Of all the shows I'd watched last fall, this was by far my most hated. I've heard arguments in its favor praising its realism. But being like real life doesn't justify any amount of pointless, misogynistic fanservice. On top of that, it was just plain LAZY. The animation is not dissimilar to a kids' cartoon from the 70's, the plotting is bare bones at best, and its attempts at getting the lead to persevere make little logical sense, and even comes off as mean-spirited. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me at all that the same company that somehow got Master of Martial Hearts to sell decided to get this schlock; they also got Unbreakable Machine-Doll, another show from that season I wound up dropping (despite having more tolerance for it, its lethargic pacing and inconsistent tone didn't work for me).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I like fanservice shows and all, no matter how mindless they can get, but this one was simply too boring for me to remember even after watching all 12 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm super surprised that Funimation got this..that being said Im still gonna buy it.

I honestly didn't even care for the fanservice while watching this, I watched it for the wrestling. Which I admit could have been animated way better.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah...Man...What a shock! Shocked
I really didn't expect this show to be picked up, let alone have an English version. If I correctly recall, didn't Wanna Be the Strongest fare terribly in Japan?
Oh, well, looks like I'll be giving this show a watch sometime next year, maybe when it's Springtime.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
I wanna say I'm disapointed, but....

...people are gonna buy it...

ah no kidding. if it created by the same people and studio that created and designed Queens Blade and Ikkitousen people who are uber ecchi/fanservice junkies will flock towards it. especially if the studio is ARMS. dont know about you, but they made a very wise choice when they left the hentai production and went to non hentai series even though those series are uber ecchi and heavily fanserviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If a title like this keeps Funimation afloat so they can release things like Princess Jellyfish and Mushishi then I say go for it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Of all the shows I'd watched last fall, this was by far my most hated. I've heard arguments in its favor praising its realism.

I call BS. I can't imagine there was a poster anywhere who unironically praised this show's "realism."
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Is it genuinely a bad show? Or are people just bitching over fanservice...again? -_-'
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I am generally pro-fanservice and this show really tried my patience. They really pushed the "putting your protagonist through the wringer" narrative device past the realm of sanity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5