• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Wanna Be the Strongest in the World Wrestling Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:53 pm Reply with quote
When I read the title, my first thought was " 'cause boobs."
the-antihero

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

With how popular football here is and folks getting Madden games each year, you'd think football anime would get dubbed. Guess their demographics don't include much anime fans. Too bad.

When I say 'Football' I mean the Original Football.

*getting ready for fans of American Football to get butt-hurt*
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Japan calls it soccer.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I call BS. I can't imagine there was a poster anywhere who unironically praised this show's "realism."

It was in response to the director of Girls und Panzer showing interest in making an anime revolving around womens' wrestling, though he's probably forgotten about it, since he's currently working on Shirobako. Anyway, some guy got mad at me for slamming it, and said this:
configspace wrote:
You what the world needs less of? People complaining about the existence of stuff they don't like. Anime shouldn't be just one homogenous media all filled with SRSBZN titles, just to gain "respect". Wanna Be Strongest is a great title for anyone who appreciates ecchi and pro wrestling. Because ironically, it does actually showcase real women's pro-wrestling, you know, the real life version that is made for fanservice entertainment with skimpy outfits, lots of grunts and screaming.

His words, not mine.

First, it IS realistic. A stylized emulation of various female pro-wresting and amateur pro-style wrestling outside of WWE around the world. There are many small female wrestling organizations and independent events for this.

Italy:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1huhn3_robi-vs-mylene-italian-female-wrestling-vs-models-wrestling_sport

Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-BlzTetaIo

Women Wrestling 2014 # Asian Ladies Wrestling Backbreaker Demonstration Hold

Notice all the moaning, groaning and screaming... just like the anime! Remember, Pro-wrestling and similar styles is NOT the same as Olympic style sports wrestling. And if director of Girls und Panzer is interested in making a show about Pro-Wrestling then he too would have to show the same aspects that Wanna Be focuses on. In fact, if you look in that article, he said, very ironically, if he does so, he will NOT go into the backstory or what goes on behinds the scenes. That means all that's left is the entertainment aspect.

Second, my criticism was directed at those who whine about the existence of something they don't like, and that publishers are licensing something not to their taste. My point is that people here still won't be happy even when publishers and creators puts out stuff they like. Why? Because people can't stand that other stuff out there exists.

Try this experiment:
A) Imagine if you didn't know Funimation licensed this. You go about happily buying Psycho-Pass and Kamisama-Kiss and Attack on Titan or whatever.

B) Now, you find out about this. "OMG, what the hell's wrong with Funi, how come they don't kow-tow completely to my tastes!" "Why are they licensing something I don't agree with?" is the irrationality I'm criticizing.

Reality has not changed between the situation in (A) and (B). The only thing that's changed is your awareness of what other people are doing.
eight_car

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I give this anime 2 out of 5 stars, and is by far the BEST SPORTS anime I have seen
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
When I read the title, my first thought was " 'cause boobs."

I believe you misthought "boobies for the win".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't seen the show, knowing how Monica Rial has shared a few Kana Hanazawa roles, it'd be appropriate if she shared this role.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
eight_car wrote:
I give this anime 2 out of 5 stars, and is by far the BEST SPORTS anime I have seen

Then you haven't seen Hajime no Ippo.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
eight_car wrote:

For the love of God watch more sports anime. Seriously, this may have been the only sports anime you've ever watched if its the best you've seen. Ever heard of Slam Dunk? Captain Tsubasa? Haikyū? Kuroko's Basketball? Prince Of Tennis?
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Well then are you ready cause i said are you ready then for those many reading this let get for female wrestling anime dub from funi!!!

& if you're not down with i got this to say YES YES YES thank you funi for getting this female wrestling anime now ready for your dub cast indeed best for business cause KLAC is here ready for it.
eight_car

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
Well then are you ready cause i said are you ready then for those many reading this let get for female wrestling anime dub from funi!!!

& if you're not down with i got this to say YES YES YES thank you funi for getting this female wrestling anime now ready for your dub cast indeed best for business cause KLAC is here ready for it.

To go old school WWF/E the quote is

And if you're not down with that, I have two words for you

SUCK IT!

(Degeneration X for those who don't know the wrestling group from back then)
eight_car

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
eight_car wrote:

For the love of God watch more sports anime. Seriously, this may have been the only sports anime you've ever watched if its the best you've seen. Ever heard of Slam Dunk? Captain Tsubasa? Haikyū? Kuroko's Basketball? Prince Of Tennis?

Most sports anime have stupid unrealistic power moves that can't exist. However, as pro wrestling is in a league of its own for it in real life, it actually works in anime good!

Name a sports anime with NO unrealistic power moves and isn't a total sausage fest and I will give it a shot! (i.e. don't even say Free! to me)
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Gotta keep those horny teenagers happy, I guess.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Eh, if it makes them money. We're getting Free ES, so... Sports anime for two groups.

eight_car wrote:

Most sports anime have stupid unrealistic power moves that can't exist. However, as pro wrestling is in a league of its own for it in real life, it actually works in anime good!

Name a sports anime with NO unrealistic power moves and isn't a total sausage fest and I will give it a shot! (i.e. don't even say Free! to me)

Well, most animated sports series aren't mixed gender, so they tend to lean to one side or another. I'll start with ones I haven't seen. In terms of girls sports, there is Taishō Baseball Girls, which Sentai released in NA. Bamboo Blade is another, but I know people tend to draw a line between 'ordinary sports' (soccer/football, tennis, basketball) and something like kendo. Baby Steps is a sports/romance work with a main male and female, plus there is Touch if you want to try out older works. I've heard good things about all of these series (except maybe Bamboo Blade?), but can't attest to quality myself. Same with Captain Tsubasa, Hajime no Ippo, and Prince of Tennis. Only made it through an episode of Slam Dunk.

Now, for things I've watched. Ace of the Diamond and Haikyuu have no power moves. They're popular with certain female audiences, but I'll assume you're differentiating between that and Free. To me, the former feels more like a typical shonen sports series than the latter. Not that this is a bad thing, but the first few episodes aren't that great, and the animation/art takes a bit to improve. Both of these star male teams, so their casts are primarily male. Haikyuu has a girl club manager plus some members from the girls team, while Diamond has a scout, four managers, and a childhood friend. I'd say, of the two, Haikyuu is more similar to something like Kuroko or Big Windup in terms of male cast presentation, which may not be something you'd like. Giant Killing actually featured non-high school aged players, and stuck to normal moves. Biggest caveat was the coach being in his early 30s. Finally, there is Ping Pong, which has a real indie flavor. Its main players are male, but there are a couple of important women. It doesn't have superpowers in the sense you're thinking of, but uses plenty of dramatic imagery. It looks great.

EDIT:
And if ecchi is more what you wanted, I guess there is Kenkou Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou (swimming) and The Ping-Pong Club/Ike! Ina-chuu Takkyuubu. The latter somehow got an English dub. Though, to be honest, I think they may be less about sports than ecchi via sports. Take that as you will.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
I don't mean to come off as sexist but when I'm watching a wrestling event live the women's match is usually when I get up to go to the bathroom. I like Emma because she's the first Aussie WWE Diva (and to date the only professional wrestler I've met in real life) and Natalya for keeping the Hart family style alive but for the most part I barely even know who they are. Maybe there's some sort of independent promotion where the girls kick ass and don't get involved in stuff like that 'Piggie James' storyline a few years back but it's not like I'm actively searching for it.

I'm not sure if that's going to affect my opinion on Wanna Be when I finally get around to watching the rest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5