• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Man Arrested For Selling US Dollar Bills with One Piece Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
victor viper wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
According to the article the guy made over $50 off of 4 US dollars.

Leland Lee wrote:
I'm more curious about the people who buy this. Like...what in the world would compel someone to purchase one of these weird things? I mean, they're not even novelty or joke items. It's just strange.

That was my question. Who would spend good money on this kind of crap, anyway? Over $10 for a crummy circulated $1 bill with a sticker of a One Piece character? The funny thing is once he sold 4 of them, apparently he thought he'd discovered a niche market, and made several hundred more. That's business savvy!

What a bastard. I'm already having a hard time as it is selling just a few fridge water filters. :<
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
You'd think that because this guy's Japanese that he'd be using Japanese currency.

A lot of countries have abandoned "onesie" bills for coins. Except for the U.S. We still have ONE dollar bills.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
Amusing. Still, shouldn't be provoking our gubment like that, the IRS may get hot on his tail wanting to see how much tax revenue they can get from him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
Bummer, I thought this was drawn artwork. I would've liked to have one otherwise and just tape the dollar to my wall.

Since there's a lot of confusion over it all, the way it goes with American bills and defacing is as such: If it's done on the outer border of the bill, in the blank space on the edges, this is perfectly legal. Anywhere else, and the money can no longer be used as money, though it's still legal as long as it isn't misleading (such as adding zeroes to each of the numbers).

victor viper wrote:
That was my question. Who would spend good money on this kind of crap, anyway? Over $10 for a crummy circulated $1 bill with a sticker of a One Piece character? The funny thing is once he sold 4 of them, apparently he thought he'd discovered a niche market, and made several hundred more. That's business savvy!

This is One Piece. The audience is wide enough that you can cast a net and get something out of that. I'm sure kids woud've loved it, for instance. Not to mention that this is Japan and thus American dollar bills are not something seen every day if you're not in a line of work that involves frequent contact with Americans.

Suena wrote:
A lot of countries have abandoned "onesie" bills for coins. Except for the U.S. We still have ONE dollar bills.

Well, we have the dollar coin too, but it's not really taken seriously and only used freqently as vending machine change. There are a few cases where I'd try to pay in a dollar coin but they don't recognize it. I'm sure the Georges are just too iconic for most Americans to give up.

The lack of circulation of U.S. dollar coins has made trying to collect the presidential ones much harder than it ought to be. That was clearly intended to be a shot in the arm to promote its usage, but all that happened was that collectors hoarded them while most other people got annoyed that their US$1 bill was under threat of removal from existence.

Nobody ever missed the $2 bill or the $100,000 bill though.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
ragz wrote:
Banksy does not approve

Laughing though just like his work the dollars were sold for an extortionate amount Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3