• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YouTube Considers Ad-Free Paid Subscriptions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
No thanks. I'll wait those "5 seconds until can skip" instead of shelling out money
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this is the beginning of the end, or was it back when Google purchased the website....hmm? Regardless, introducing a fee to youtube (regardless in what form) is a very slippery slope they're walking
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I use adblock due to instances (including one as recent as last month) of ads on YT being injected with some really nasty malware and you didn't need to click the ad to catch the malware, just see the ad.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
The ads have been getting more obnoxious of late - they seem to play on more videos, are often unskippable, and play again should you reload the video for some reason (I was trying to fine tune a timecoded link and had to sit through a couple more adverts in the process)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't use adblockers as much if ads were less annoying. I have them turned off for small websites which I want to support and don't have obnoxious noisy flashy popup autoplaying ads. I'm not opposed to paying to support services I like; I subscribe to ANN for example. Google can live just fine without my ad revenue though.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
There are people who actually want money to go to the people making the videos they're enjoying so they don't use adblock and let the ads play or pay a subscription where the perk is ad removal.

Participating in the economic ecosystem that produces this material is not always done out of ignorance.

How would a subscription service affect this? I assume you would be subscribing to a premium version of YouTube, and the content creators would not see any of that money. If people are able to skip their ads by paying YouTube, then they would lose money from this as well. At best, YouTube might offer them a flat portion as compensation, but that would probably pale in comparison to what they would have made off ad revenue and would hurt some creators more than others.

-Stuart Smith
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
How will this affect the youtubers who make videos for a living? I thought that their revenue came from the number of views that watched the ads. Or is it just the number of video views?

I like supporting my favorite youtubers, but I think I'd rather just watch the ads on their videos since I'm uncertain how this will work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kanechin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I actually don't mind the ads. We have grown far too impatient in our modern society.

Nope. There isn't an ad these days that is appealing to me so....that secret thing many use that we should all stop mentioning here GO!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
They could do a subscription like Niconico
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Darstorm-Sandude wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
That's a nice offer, but I can deal with the ads. When I watched Youtube video on my smart TV (mine is LG), no ads at all.

I deal with the ads by using adblock Mr. Green

Aaaaaand I'm pretty sure that's why they're looking for other ways to get revenue.

Keep in mind, that ad money isn't all going to youtube. Part of it's going to people who make videos, and would like a chance to earn money from them. Blocked ads = no earnings.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
How will this affect the youtubers who make videos for a living? I thought that their revenue came from the number of views that watched the ads. Or is it just the number of video views?

I like supporting my favorite youtubers, but I think I'd rather just watch the ads on their videos since I'm uncertain how this will work.

Youtubers earn money from the amount of ad which are clicked on via their video or if a ad is watched for 30 seconds or more. Very Happy

I don't particularly care if I have to watch an ad at the start of a video, it's not as obnoxious as Daily Motion - one before the video followed by one every 5 minuets (even if the video is 5:03) and a final one when the video has finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote
Most Youtube videos are free promotion. The makers are already getting a benefit from me simply clicking on their video, so screw their ads.

Now if they have a channel on there with series and such, then yeah, ads or subscription, no problem with that.

But I'm not paying or watching ads just to check out the new Avengers trailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2