• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cowboy Bebop Director Discusses Proposed Live-Action Film, Hypothetical Anime Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Can that be because surprise surprise merchandise of Eva and Loom exist to this day ?
That's Lum to you there C._T. Wink And yes merchandise makes the money.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Who cares what the japanese think. Seriously japanese fandom wouldn't be able to discern a good anime from a bad one. History has shown time and time again that this is the simple truth.
So Japanese talk about Eva and Urusei Yatsura much more than Cowboy Bebop. Big whoooooop. Can that be because surprise surprise merchandise of Eva and Loom exist to this day ? What kind of merchandise exists for Cowboy Bebop ? Faye faye ? The spaceships ? What exactly can people buy of Cowboy Bebop that is not a compact disc ?

I don't really get this recurring comment of "Japan has bad taste in anime". Especially with the context being "Japan didn't like my gateway anime as much as I do"

Anyway, the lack of merchandise in general is probably a telling sign of how average the series is regarded in Japan. Even Space Dandy managed to pump out more merchandise with a few MegaHouse figures of Honey. No high quality Faye or Ed figure is a bit disappointing. I'm a bit surprised no western license holder has pushed for some Japanese figures to cash in on the fandom, to be honest. Or perhaps high quality figures do not sell that well in the American market.

-Stuart Smith
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Simply, Cowboy Bebop is just that rare anime that's cool adults with adult sensibilities that's more appreciated in the West than in more youth-oriented Japan, which even non-anime fans can't help give props watching Cowboy Bebop for it, earning anime some creds in cinema medium.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where you got the idea that there were no Cowboy Bebop figures put out. I have several in various sizes including 1/8 scale figures of Spike, Faye and Julia. Just in the last year they put out 1/6 pose able figures of both Spike and Vicious.
lem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
...What kind of merchandise exists for Cowboy Bebop ? Faye faye ? The spaceships ? What exactly can people buy of Cowboy Bebop that is not a compact disc ?

Yes it's true, there are quite a few discs available for CB. Smile

As for other merchandise, apparently there is or was available: a video game, the comics, anime cels, iPhone covers? iPhone covers for a title well over a decade old, imagine that., t-shirts, plushies, figures, models, artbooks, wall art, posters, the sheet music, a guidebook, who knows what else I'd find if I actually put some kinda effort into it before posting here.

All that was just from a New York minute generic google type search. I won't even start another for stuff in Japan, that might end with me having a lot less money. Very Happy
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Simply, Cowboy Bebop is just that rare anime that's cool adults with adult sensibilities that's more appreciated in the West than in more youth-oriented Japan, which even non-anime fans can't help give props watching Cowboy Bebop for it, earning anime some creds in cinema medium.

I don't know where you got this idea from. Series with adult protagonists like Golgo 13, Kochikame, Lupin the 3rd, and other series are huge in Japan. Though they go virtually unnoticed in America. If it was truly about adult protagonists we'd see more diversity in western tastes for anime, but it seems limited to what's airing on television. As a general mindset, you should be suspicious anytime someone says all of the best anime ever just so happened to air on American television when they were growing up. It's a huge tell that nostalgia is the primary factor involved.

Speaking of Lupin, it was one of the main influenced of Cowboy Bebop, and it shows. Perhaps another reason Japan isn't as into Bebop as the west is is because they already had Lupin for that style of shenanigans and Lupin is a much more iconic franchise over there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I don't know where you got this idea from. Series with adult protagonists like Golgo 13, Kochikame, Lupin the 3rd, and other series are huge in Japan. Though they go virtually unnoticed in America.

Not just adults, but cool adults with adult sensibilities. Golgo qualifies; Kochikame isn't really cool but funny; Lupin's adult sensibility is suspect but he's cool enough. And those are but a few in the quantities that's produced.

Basically, it's a difference in psyche. N. Americans look for cool adults they can look up to and aspire to be. Japanese tend to look back and appreciate the wildness of their youths. Ya can see it in the difference in their media - Japanese try to be younger; NA can't wait to grow up. Look at AFI's Top 100: it's full of Humphrey Bogarts, Frank Sinatras, Marlon Brandos types characters.

Fedora-san wrote:

If it was truly about adult protagonists we'd see more diversity in western tastes for anime, but it seems limited to what's airing on television.

It's limited to what's being made in Japan. Anime is still made for Japanese, and Westerners can only consume what's there. If they don't find enough in anime, they don't get into nor last long in the fandom. Another iconic thing is Ghost in the Shell, and that's before SAC.

Fedora-san wrote:

As a general mindset, you should be suspicious anytime someone says all of the best anime ever just so happened to air on American television when they were growing up. It's a huge tell that nostalgia is the primary factor involved.

I'll keep that in mind.

Fedora-san wrote:

Speaking of Lupin, it was one of the main influenced of Cowboy Bebop, and it shows. Perhaps another reason Japan isn't as into Bebop as the west is is because they already had Lupin for that style of shenanigans and Lupin is a much more iconic franchise over there.

That's also a good point. It's hard to replace a legend. Like America already had Bruce Lee, so any martial arts character is gonna have to overcome that coolness factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3