• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Manga Mini-Series Launches After Main Series Ends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abyss123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
These haters don't even realize that kishi isn't even the one making this spin off manga. Calm down people.

And if he does consider to make a part 3, you guys can rage all you want, it wont make a difference. He's not doing anything for you, he's doing this for his fans that actually like the series, so you can always ignore it if that's even possible with you guys around. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by abyss123 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
meeedoooz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Is Kishimoto writing the miniseries, or will it be delegated to someone else like the spin off novels? The novels have a lot of potential, considering that the anime only Kakashi gaiden had the best Naruto eps in a long time.

maybe i'm misinterpretting what you said... but kakashi gaiden was not anime only. it was in the manga before the shipuuden time skip.

they made a kakashi in anbu filler mini arc and that's what he meant i guess
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
^They made another, longer Kakashi Gaiden arc that aired a season or two ago. It's about Kakashi's teen years in ANBU. I haven't watched the whole thing (it goes through the Uchiha Massacre from Kakashi and ANBU's perspective) but what I saw was very good. It really develops Kakashi and his friendship with Yamato. All anime original material, very well done.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
meeedoooz wrote:
the series is a joke ? i can understand if you say that to you it isn't what it once was, but declaring it a joke is in fact identifying yourself as a troll Laughing

this site is awesome " even though i get most of my news elsewhere, but its troll infested forum is disgusting

Well, the ending is.

I've defended this series for 11 years but the ending makes me regret ever doing so.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I actually have liked the naruto ending so far. Sure it might not be the quality of its glory days but its still not bad at all.

Last edited by xchampion on Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
With this ending and Bleach on its way out, I'm not sure WHAT SJ is going to do for another big hit. Though with pretty much all their series post-DBZ days going downhill in one way or another I think there are some issues they need to work out.

I never understand this argument people do.
The magazine is not only Naruto and Bleach(Even less the publisher, Shueisha), it has 15 stable titles, yes, FIFTEEN stable titles, running simultaneous. Naruto and Bleach just make 13% of the magazine. Their ending will not have even half the impact people think they will have.
Let's see the titles that the magazine has right now, still counting Naruto(from more popular to least):
1st- One Piece
2nd- Assassination Classroom
3rd- Naruto
4th- Shokugeki no Soma
5th- Hinomaru Zumou
6th- Boku no Hero Academia
7th- Haikyuu!!
8th- Toriko
9th- Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan
10th- Nisekoi
11th- World Trigger
12th- Isobe
13th- Gintama
14th- Bleach
15th- Kochikame

If we're not talking of the magazine but the sales of their book volumes, than you have this:
1st - One Piece -> 3 Million copies sold per volume in a year
2nd- Naruto -> 1.2 Million copies
3rd- Assassination Classroom -> +700k copies (Without anime yet, so with anime will get higher)
4th - Haikyuu!! -> +700k copies
5th - Bleach -> +400k copies
6th - Nisekoi -> +300k copies
7th - Shokugeki no Soma -> 300k copies
8th - toriko -> 300k copies
9th - Gintama -> +250k copies
10th - World Trigger -> +110k
11th - Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan -> 100k copies
12th- Isobe -> +40k copies
13th- Kochikame -> +40k copies
14th- Hinomaru Zumou(new and growing. Only 2 volumes till now) -> +20k
15th- Boku no Hero Academia(new and growing. Only 1 volume till now) -> +20k(This is just assumed. The fact that it sold out in his first day means it will ge t a reprint and the volume possible will sell a lot, but a lot more than that)

Total -> 7.48 Million copies sold per volume in a year(In money that is around 37.4 Million dollars per all their series volumes. If you count that around 4 volumes come per year, that becomes 149.6 Million dollars a year).
Naruto is 16% of that and Bleach is 5%(One Piece is almost half the magazine with 40% of it, and almost double of Naruto and Bleach with 21%). Without Naruto Shueisha still gets 6.28 Million copies and if you also remove Bleach you get 5.88 Million copies. Basically 117.6 Million dollars a year, less 32 Million dollars a year.
Yep, 32 Million dollars less is a lot. But I don't see how having 117.6 Million dollars each year can be considered as a money issue to work out. And we aren't even considering the increase of popularity of the new series, specially the ones that will have anime in the next year: Assassination Classroom and Shokugeki no Soma.

Note: Also note how the series Naruto will continue to get money to the publisher, even if less quantity, with new versions of the books(the famous Kazenban), and tons of merchandise.
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
meeedoooz wrote:
the series is a joke ? i can understand if you say that to you it isn't what it once was, but declaring it a joke is in fact identifying yourself as a troll Laughing

this site is awesome " even though i get most of my news elsewhere, but its troll infested forum is disgusting

Well, the ending is.

I've defended this series for 11 years but the ending makes me regret ever doing so.

Im pretty sure the final chapter has not been released yet. Not even scanlations so maybe the final chapter will redeem it. I would not say the whole ending has been a joke. Its just your opinion.I actually liked the spoiler[ naruto/sasuke] fight at the end. Lets just wait and see how Kishi ties it all up.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
There are spoilers going around which seem to confirm the worst possible ending. If they're wrong, I will be very happy. But so far they seem legitimate.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

I never understand this argument people do.
The magazine is not only Naruto and Bleach(Even less the publisher, Shueisha), it has 15 stable titles, yes, FIFTEEN stable titles, running simultaneous. Naruto and Bleach just make 13% of the magazine. Their ending will not have even half the impact people think they will have.
Let's see the titles that the magazine has right now, still counting Naruto(from more popular to least):
1st- One Piece
2nd- Assassination Classroom
3rd- Naruto
4th- Shokugeki no Soma
5th- Hinomaru Zumou
6th- Boku no Hero Academia
7th- Haikyuu!!
8th- Toriko
9th- Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan
10th- Nisekoi
11th- World Trigger
12th- Isobe
13th- Gintama
14th- Bleach
15th- Kochikame

If we're not talking of the magazine but the sales of their book volumes, than you have this:
1st - One Piece -> 3 Million copies sold per volume in a year
2nd- Naruto -> 1.2 Million copies
3rd- Assassination Classroom -> +700k copies (Without anime yet, so with anime will get higher)
4th - Haikyuu!! -> +700k copies
5th - Bleach -> +400k copies
6th - Nisekoi -> +300k copies
7th - Shokugeki no Soma -> 300k copies
8th - toriko -> 300k copies
9th - Gintama -> +250k copies
10th - World Trigger -> +110k
11th - Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan -> 100k copies
12th- Isobe -> +40k copies
13th- Kochikame -> +40k copies
14th- Hinomaru Zumou(new and growing. Only 2 volumes till now) -> +20k
15th- Boku no Hero Academia(new and growing. Only 1 volume till now) -> +20k(This is just assumed. The fact that it sold out in his first day means it will ge t a reprint and the volume possible will sell a lot, but a lot more than that)

Total -> 7.48 Million copies sold per volume in a year(In money that is around 37.4 Million dollars per all their series volumes. If you count that around 4 volumes come per year, that becomes 149.6 Million dollars a year).
Naruto is 16% of that and Bleach is 5%(One Piece is almost half the magazine with 40% of it, and almost double of Naruto and Bleach with 21%). Without Naruto Shueisha still gets 6.28 Million copies and if you also remove Bleach you get 5.88 Million copies. Basically 117.6 Million dollars a year, less 32 Million dollars a year.
Yep, 32 Million dollars less is a lot. But I don't see how having 117.6 Million dollars each year can be considered as a money issue to work out. And we aren't even considering the increase of popularity of the new series, specially the ones that will have anime in the next year: Assassination Classroom and Shokugeki no Soma.

Note: Also note how the series Naruto will continue to get money to the publisher, even if less quantity, with new versions of the books(the famous Kazenban), and tons of merchandise.

And even with that they're still far from the glory days. And they only keep declining. Which isn't good when other series from other publishers keep getting more attention than their own. They're not the most stable company around.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
So we're basically getting Naruto GT? Bloody fantastic... Rolling Eyes
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
So the milking has begun. And earliern then expected. Cut off one head and 2(or 20) will follow. Nice tip Beatdigga. Here is the rumour: http://kotaku.com/rumored-naruto-leak-might-spoil-the-upcoming-movie-1654873952
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
bigivel wrote:

And even with that they're still far from the glory days. And they only keep declining. Which isn't good when other series from other publishers keep getting more attention than their own. They're not the most stable company around.

Not really. What is declining is the market. The decline is due to various facts. From other ways of entertainment(Internet, Mobile, Portable consoles, ..), to age rate(Japan for some time is having a problem of decline in birth), to the bubble(Manga was getting such popularity that everybody jumped on board creating a million magazines, making the market congested).
Given that is almost impossible, if not impossible, to go to the old days of 6 Million Magazine copies printed per week. Right now the magazine is only at 2.7 Million copies printed per week.
This is only talking of Magazine sales. The book volumes sales in reality have increased a lot since those times. People right now are buying more volumes of the titles they like every 2 to 3 months and reading less magazines weekly.

About stability. In reality Shueisha is the most stable publisher and Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine is the most stable magazine in the market. All the other magazines are constantly decreasing and in a bigger rate. Weekly Shonen Jump while still declining is not constantly and the decrease is way way lower than the other magazines.

About other magazines titles getting more attention than their titles. That is not really a problem, not something extraordinary, it always happened from time to time.
You're probably talking of Attack on Titan, Magi, Tokyo Ghoul, Nanatsu no Taizai, Silver Spoon and titles like that.

Note that Attack on Titan Magazine, Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, only popular title is Attack on Titan, other titles of the magazine are not that popular, they sell around 40k per volume, even Doubutsu no Kuni(A series that I consider better than Attack on Titan and that was made by the guy of Gash Bell) only sold around 40k copies per volume.

Magi and Silver Spoon are from Weekly Shonen Sunday, the 3rd best Shonen Magazine, and that right now had a huge decline in popularity. And when I say decline I'm talking even bigger than the normal Market Decline. The magazine printed around 1.5 Million copies per week of the magazine and right now is only printing around 700k. It decreased 800k. and went down the 1 Million mark that the best of the best magazines have.
Also is good to remember that this magazine had Inuyasha, Cross game, Touch and other really popular titles and right now it doesn't have that much. Having more popular new titles is the hope of this magazine rise again and not get better than Weekly Shonen Jump that every other title is Super popular.

Tokyo Ghoul, is from Shueisha, Weekly Young Jump, practically the brother of Weekly Shonen Jump. They certainly aren't seeing its succes as a problem.

Nanatsu no Taizai is from the Magazine of Fairy Tail. This magazine from time to time brings really promising titles. Do you know GTO? That title was the biggest title at his time and was from Weekly Shonen Magazine when it was in his golden era. The only time where Weekly Shonen Jump existed(Shonen Jump exists since 1968) and where it was less popular than Magazine. Right now having Nanatsu no Taizai doesn't seem that much of a threat. It can end up being, but I don't think so. I bet that Nanatsu no Taizai will just have a similar popularity as Fairy Tail.

Now note that even before, when Naruto, One Piece and Bleach were in their peak, there were also other titles that were getting a lot of attention, some even more than Naruto. Those titles are: Full Metal Alchemist(Selling around 1.3 Million copies per volume), Nana(this one was selling 1.5 Million copies per volume. More than Naruto ever did), Nodaime Cantabile(around 1.2 Million copies per volume) and a lot others.
There are dozens if not hundreds of Magazines each having from 10 to 30 titles at a given time. Weekly Shonen Jump is just one of those magazines. Appearing titles from other magazines and getting a lot of attention is not something new. The big thing is that just one Magazine spamming tons and tons and constantly mega popular titles. That is what Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine does. Right now they have 2 more titles to getting the big spotlights(Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma), 2 newbies mega promising(Boku no Hero Academia, Hinomaru Zumou) and a 2 titles that just got incredible attention(Haikyuu!!, Nisekoi).
This makes 6 titles. This is something that no other magazine is able to do other than Weekly Shonen Jump, at least for now. (I didn't included World Trigger, because it seems it will not be that popular, but suprises can happen. If they indeed happen that is 1 more series coming from Weekly Shonen Jump with incredible popularity).
kanechin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
not going to bother.
Haven't liked naruto since it changed from ninjas with special abilities to dragon ball z lite. If I wanted to watch dbz I would watch dbz!
abyss123

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Not really. What is declining is the market. The decline is due to various facts. From other ways of entertainment(Internet, Mobile, Portable consoles, ..), to age rate(Japan for some time is having a problem of decline in birth), to the bubble(Manga was getting such popularity that everybody jumped on board creating a million magazines, making the market congested).
Given that is almost impossible, if not impossible, to go to the old days of 6 Million Magazine copies printed per week. Right now the magazine is only at 2.7 Million copies printed per week.
This is only talking of Magazine sales. The book volumes sales in reality have increased a lot since those times. People right now are buying more volumes of the titles they like every 2 to 3 months and reading less magazines weekly.

About stability. In reality Shueisha is the most stable publisher and Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine is the most stable magazine in the market. All the other magazines are constantly decreasing and in a bigger rate. Weekly Shonen Jump while still declining is not constantly and the decrease is way way lower than the other magazines.

About other magazines titles getting more attention than their titles. That is not really a problem, not something extraordinary, it always happened from time to time.
You're probably talking of Attack on Titan, Magi, Tokyo Ghoul, Nanatsu no Taizai, Silver Spoon and titles like that.

Note that Attack on Titan Magazine, Bessatsu Shonen Magazine, only popular title is Attack on Titan, other titles of the magazine are not that popular, they sell around 40k per volume, even Doubutsu no Kuni(A series that I consider better than Attack on Titan and that was made by the guy of Gash Bell) only sold around 40k copies per volume.

Magi and Silver Spoon are from Weekly Shonen Sunday, the 3rd best Shonen Magazine, and that right now had a huge decline in popularity. And when I say decline I'm talking even bigger than the normal Market Decline. The magazine printed around 1.5 Million copies per week of the magazine and right now is only printing around 700k. It decreased 800k. and went down the 1 Million mark that the best of the best magazines have.
Also is good to remember that this magazine had Inuyasha, Cross game, Touch and other really popular titles and right now it doesn't have that much. Having more popular new titles is the hope of this magazine rise again and not get better than Weekly Shonen Jump that every other title is Super popular.

Tokyo Ghoul, is from Shueisha, Weekly Young Jump, practically the brother of Weekly Shonen Jump. They certainly aren't seeing its succes as a problem.

Nanatsu no Taizai is from the Magazine of Fairy Tail. This magazine from time to time brings really promising titles. Do you know GTO? That title was the biggest title at his time and was from Weekly Shonen Magazine when it was in his golden era. The only time where Weekly Shonen Jump existed(Shonen Jump exists since 1968) and where it was less popular than Magazine. Right now having Nanatsu no Taizai doesn't seem that much of a threat. It can end up being, but I don't think so. I bet that Nanatsu no Taizai will just have a similar popularity as Fairy Tail.

Now note that even before, when Naruto, One Piece and Bleach were in their peak, there were also other titles that were getting a lot of attention, some even more than Naruto. Those titles are: Full Metal Alchemist(Selling around 1.3 Million copies per volume), Nana(this one was selling 1.5 Million copies per volume. More than Naruto ever did), Nodaime Cantabile(around 1.2 Million copies per volume) and a lot others.
There are dozens if not hundreds of Magazines each having from 10 to 30 titles at a given time. Weekly Shonen Jump is just one of those magazines. Appearing titles from other magazines and getting a lot of attention is not something new. The big thing is that just one Magazine spamming tons and tons and constantly mega popular titles. That is what Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine does. Right now they have 2 more titles to getting the big spotlights(Assassination Classroom, Shokugeki no Soma), 2 newbies mega promising(Boku no Hero Academia, Hinomaru Zumou) and a 2 titles that just got incredible attention(Haikyuu!!, Nisekoi).
This makes 6 titles. This is something that no other magazine is able to do other than Weekly Shonen Jump, at least for now. (I didn't included World Trigger, because it seems it will not be that popular, but suprises can happen. If they indeed happen that is 1 more series coming from Weekly Shonen Jump with incredible popularity).

^ Doesn't Fairy tale Aku no hana, Sankarea and The Seven Deadly Sins comes from the same magazine as attack on titan? I always see them in the same cover, the only difference is attack on titan is monthly but those are weekly, except aku no hana and sankarea.

Last edited by abyss123 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
abyss123 wrote:
^ Doesn't Fairy tale comes from the same magazine as attack on titan?

No, it doesn't! It comes from the same publisher, kodansha, but not the same Magazine.
In reality kodansha was at that time creating a new magazine, and it was looking for authors, Isayama just ended up being one of them. Attack on Titan 1st chapter started at the 1st chapter of the Magazine! So is as old of the magazine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4