• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Uncovered Paths

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure who's removing posts in this thread but it isn't me, and I'm supposed to know when anything like this happens.

Please do not chalk this up to anyone trying to silence you. It's a glitch or another problem, but it isn't anyone trying to censor you. I will try to figure out what happened.

EDIT: It appears we're having some issues with a spam detection bot - posts were deleted from other threads without warning (that had nothing "controversial" in them at all). I've told our webmaster about it, he'll look into it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing sexy people in media.

Don't ya remember the first Bayformers movie?! Blew people's gasket here! Smile
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm not sure who's removing posts in this thread but it isn't me, and I'm supposed to know when anything like this happens.

Please do not chalk this up to anyone trying to silence you. It's a glitch or another problem, but it isn't anyone trying to censor you. I will try to figure out what happened.

EDIT: It appears we're having some issues with a spam detection bot - posts were deleted from other threads without warning (that had nothing "controversial" in them at all). I've told our webmaster about it, he'll look into it.

Thank you for clearing this up then. From the bottom of my heart, I deeply apologize for accusing ANN of censoring comments. I jumped the gun and jumped to a false conclusion. Unfortunately, places like Kotaku DO remove negative comments, but I should have realized that ANN was of higher standards.

Regardless though, I still put out my views as politely as I could and still stand by what I said on supposed sexism in media.

Quote:
Don't ya remember the first Bayformers movie?! Blew people's gasket here!

Yup. But funny how no one cared about this though.

This is no different than the hot girls that guys are attracted to. If Bayonetta were a muscle-bound hulk with huge abs, no one would be over-blowing this situation and crying sexism. Double standards, folks.
NosesOfShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
That sweatshop story is bullshit. Don't use the Daily Mail as a news source.

Yeah, Cause your source is so reliable and unbiased! Protip, blogs are on the same level of source as The Daily Mail.

Paul Soth wrote:
Honestly, I just want this shit to end. It's been a long and really stupid three months.

Oh, I know, it sucks having the same tactics used AGAINST you! The consumer revolt isn't going anywhere. The world will be a better place when Gawker is bankrupt.

Paul Soth wrote:
Aside from that, I broke my own rules here. Nothing's going to sway me, and nothing's going to sway you, by the looks of it.
You're free to have your opinion, we are free to have ours.

But hey, I'm just a privileged cisgendered sexist misogynistic white male, what do I know.
NosesOfShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
This is no different than the hot girls that guys are attracted to. If Bayonetta were a muscle-bound hulk with huge abs, no one would be over-blowing this situation and crying sexism. Double standards, folks.
Social Justice Terrorists base their entire ideology off of double standards. Ex. Dragon's Crown Sorceress == Sexist, Dragon's Crown Barbarian == not sexist.

Also, to all the people saying "oh hurr, we're not trying to take away your games" Yeah, I know, you just want to vilify every developer that goes against the manifesto and harass them until they give in and make "games" like Gone Home and Depression Quest.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
He writes an intelligent article addressing Bayonetta's sexual portrayal that ultimately comes to a positive conclusion...and people still whine at him.

Amazing. It's like the very mention of "how something relates to the real world" causes irrational rage.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
He writes an intelligent article addressing Bayonetta's sexual portrayal that ultimately comes to a positive conclusion...and people still whine at him.

Amazing. It's like the very mention of "how something relates to the real world" causes irrational rage.

None of the comments are addressed to him, they're aimed at the people who think Bayonetta is sexist and these people who care about social justice who try to find sexism in things that are harmless.

Bayonetta and video games aren't the real world. It's fiction, and gamers all realize this. To bring up a related example, I hate guns and want nothing to do with them. But in video games, I have absolutely no problem with them. Why? Because it's make-believe. It's pretend. To me personally, Bayonetta's design isn't any different. No woman in real life has the same proportions as her, just like no one can do all the insane stunts that she pulls off. There's nothing here to cause controversy. It's just more media hysteria catering to feminists that view anything that doesn't fit their narrow-minded worldview as misogynistic.

And I don't know what you mean by irrational rage. At least on this forum, there hasn't been any hateful comments.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
None of the comments are addressed to him, they're aimed at the people who think Bayonetta is sexist and these people who care about social justice who try to find sexism in things that are harmless.

Okay...but no one's posted anything like that in this forum. So I still don't see the point.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay...but no one's posted anything like that in this forum. So I still don't see the point.

The point is that this debate on Bayonetta being sexist or not shouldn't even be a discussion in the first place. To me it's right up there with the dumb question of if violent video games turn gamers into violent people.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Quote:
Don't ya remember the first Bayformers movie?! Blew people's gasket here!

That's 'cause everyone here is Team Edward all the way!

MetalUpa1014 wrote:

To me it's right up there with the dumb question of if violent video games turn gamers into violent people.

Yes, that's why nobody here wants 12-yr-olds playing FPS 'cause they don't wanna get pwned! Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

[Twilight]

Well...there are the hundreds of thousands of furious nerdbros who, despite the franchise being essentially done for several years now, will still not shut up about their hatred for it or otherwise stop utterly losing their shit that dopey fanservice for women is actually popular and successful for once. But I digress. I'm getting off topic. We're talking about feminist double standards right now. Rolling Eyes
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:09 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why if it's 'unflattering', suddenly it's straight to 'sexism'. I think that's not giving the creators/fans enough credit to a point where it's hyperanalyzed to arrive at the conclusion that there's some kind of a strict message being sent for certain portrayals. Which is why these types of mediums should be consumed responsibly. Users have responsibility to have a certain personal filter for these content and not just be brainwashed willy nilly upon consumption of something. Of course, I can understand where these conclusions comes from, especially if you are more apt to drawing cultural parallels so intently. Which is why people should be careful about drawing fantasy/artistic parallels towards reality. At a certain point, it comes across as outright conspiratorial with how far reaching the 'cultural effects' are.

I strongly believe that most consumers of risque art do have the wherewithal to understand that boundary between fantasy and reality and to not let a certain depiction to suddenly change and color their political views or life views.
E_X

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

[Twilight]

Well...there are the hundreds of thousands of furious nerdbros who, despite the franchise being essentially done for several years now, will still not shut up about their hatred for it or otherwise stop utterly losing their shit that dopey fanservice for women is actually popular and successful for once. But I digress. I'm getting off topic. We're talking about feminist double standards right now. Rolling Eyes

I actually agree with this. The anger/mockery over Twilight was ridiculous, especially when stuff like Transformers exists.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:

Male sexuality is one of those things these kinds of people generally try to downplay or ignore. They'll usually say it's not sexualization but a male power fantasy, which seems like a backhanded insult towards women who would dare to find a hunky guy attractive. Generally, one gender's power fantasy is the opposite gender's sexual fantasy, which should be a no brainer given what we as humans are attracted to in mates, but sometimes I think people forget. Ironman might be a male power fantasy, but I see a lot of girls who want to jump RDJ's repulsor ray. Likewise for any attractive woman being a power fantasy for women and then having guys fantasizing about them.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:56 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Ironman might be a male power fantasy, but I see a lot of girls who want to jump RDJ's repulsor ray.

So let's recap what we've established in this thread:
-Feminists complain about the way women are presented in media.
-They don't complain about male characters who are attractive though.
-Attractive male characters are also male power fantasies.

Boy, you'd really think anyone with two brain cells to rub together would be able to just make that tiny step from these premises to the realization that feminists complain NOT simply because characters are attractive but because how attractive women are portrayed differs from how attractive men are portrayed (Hint: The women are rarely much more than objects of male sexual desire, let alone female power fantasies). But alas, no. You instead wind up at "Those crazy people who care about social justice sure are hypocrites".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4