• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Uncovered Paths

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anime has any issues portraying female characters as complex counterparts, especially in an anime. If they are bit characters or otherwise don't have a huge role, they are never meant to be that much more than visual appeal. Just like male characters are in secondary roles.

I don't really see how that differs from each gender. Also, visually speaking, they get away with doing more with the female aesthetic. The reason why that differs is because people do see the female body form as more immediately pleasing aesthetically. We see that even in places like sporting events that is all women athlete and fanbase oriented, where they still have female cheerleaders. Being treated differently isn't some inherent sin. Not everything has to be seen as totally equal in all facets. We can respect eachother despite having some differences.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
The funny thing is that video games already went through this back in 1993 with the Senate hearings about Night Trap and Mortal Kombat. The industry adopted a ratings standard, and, unlike the Comics Code, it didn't ban specific content and wasn't aimed at crippling one particular publisher (EC Comics). And it hasn't stopped games from pushing the envelope well beyond anything we saw in Night Trap or Mortal Kombat.

Indeed we should be thankful video games only got stuck with an ESRB system unlike comics did. Still, with recent events there's no real telling if we might see more self-censoring out of this down the line.

Quote:
If there is reason to be concerned about the government censoring games, it has more to do with attempts to link shooting sprees with violent games than it does with the way women look in Dragon's Crown and Bayonetta.

I have also noticed real news outlets seem more concerned with violence than sexuality when it comes to games. Concerns of sexuality seem exclusive to the gaming blogger sites. Then, one might argue with how entrenched those sites are within the industry given how the western video game industry is reliant on these sites and the internet in general, they have more impact than mainstream outlets. Even when Anita Sarkeesian appeared on programs like CNN, they seemed to focus on the issue of harassment rather than acknowledging her issues with female representation. Anita herself expressed her disappointment with CNN for focusing on that aspect of it, which I suppose just shows how insular this debate is in the end.

ikillchicken wrote:
(Hint: The women are rarely much more than objects of male sexual desire, let alone female power fantasies).

What is a female power fantasy seems up to the individual to decide. There's an interview with the English voice actors for the YuRiPa girls of Final Fantasy and you get them chiming in form saying how they admire Yuna's bravery and character development to how hot Rikku/Paine are and wish they were like that because they're awesome. Conversely, I'm sure Final Fantasy X2 would be a prime target for certain people given how the characters dress and the general fanservice nature of the game. But there's nothing wrong with a power fantasy being solely about looks either. Could one really say the soldiers in Gears of War or Call of Duty have rich and developed personalities and character development that men strive for, or do guys just want to be buff and strong and kick ass like some women might for girls like Rikku and Bayonetta? People are too complex to really boil them down to generalizations in the end on what they'll find a power fantasy. For some, the character's sexual nature might be too much of an issue to be empowering. For others, that very sexual appeal is what they find empowering.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:53 am Reply with quote
I've said it before, but all the complaining is not going to affect anyone but indie developers so people don't need to worry about anything. Unless they're an indie developer, that is. Big companies couldn't care less what websites say about them. EA has been consecutively called the worst company in America and their games still sell millions. In Nintendo's case that's part of the reason they do Nintendo Direct to begin with to cut out all the website nonsense. Big companies can handle any and all bad PR they get from journalists because gamers are if nothing else creatures of habit and will gladly buy the newest game they said they were going to boycott.

No, it's those small-time development studios that have to worry. The ones who have to rely on coverage from any site they can to get noticed and if the wrong person in the wrong position decides they don't like them, then they can end your career before it begins. So to that I shrug my shoulders. I'm not an indie developer nor do I play indie games. This is really an indie game issue more than anything else.
E_X

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
I've said it before, but all the complaining is not going to affect anyone but indie developers so people don't need to worry about anything. Unless they're an indie developer, that is. Big companies couldn't care less what websites say about them. EA has been consecutively called the worst company in America and their games still sell millions. In Nintendo's case that's part of the reason they do Nintendo Direct to begin with to cut out all the website nonsense. Big companies can handle any and all bad PR they get from journalists because gamers are if nothing else creatures of habit and will gladly buy the newest game they said they were going to boycott.

No, it's those small-time development studios that have to worry. The ones who have to rely on coverage from any site they can to get noticed and if the wrong person in the wrong position decides they don't like them, then they can end your career before it begins. So to that I shrug my shoulders. I'm not an indie developer nor do I play indie games. This is really an indie game issue more than anything else.

What the hell? That HAS to be doctored. It HAS to be or I would question that woman's professionalism to say the least.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Or those were part of a block of tweets that were obviously factious, in an attempt to anger those who didn't like her away. A poorly-planed series of actions on her part.

And she got kicked off of IGF as a result. Guess the lesson here is to watch what you post.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
This whole GG thing is STILL going on, dude? It just keeps snowballing doesn't it?

Edit: Guess the fallout from the whole thing is getting bigger by the hour now with other judges pulling out

http://oi57.tinypic.com/rh39t5.jpg

Yeah guess it's still going with stuff like this happening.
E_X

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
This whole GG thing is STILL going on, dude? It just keeps snowballing doesn't it?

Edit: Guess the fallout from the whole thing is getting bigger by the hour now with other judges pulling out

http://oi57.tinypic.com/rh39t5.jpg

Yeah guess it's still going with stuff like this happening.

I'm not up to speed with GG but I think everyone is better off with Brendan Keogh not judging anything. The other comment is clearly trolling so I won't address it.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing video games since at least 1981. Of all the things I've seen the industry go through, this mess bothers me the more then any of the others. Mostly since it's the first real internal struggle that wasn't based on brand loyalty or some other trivial shit that could easily be set aside. And all over the fact that writers said some things about games that other people didn't like hearing. Options and reviews.

It's just so goddamn stupid. When is this bullshit going to end?
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
E_X wrote:
What the hell? That HAS to be doctored. It HAS to be or I would question that woman's professionalism to say the least.

There's nothing really professional about this industry. The more time I spend observing everyone on Twitter, the less it feels like an industry and more like a bunch of high school cliques spreading gossip and rumors about each other. We've reached "Hey, it was just a joke, Mr. Principle" levels of argumentation that would make even a teenager roll their eyes. Perhaps the instant gratification and unfiltered, toxic outlet that is Twitter just brings this out of people and if they had an actual filter, like their company's PR guy, you'd see less of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4