• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sekai Project's Clannad Crowdfunding Campaign Meets Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manwards

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted Clannad to be professionally translated into English ever since the anime first aired all those years ago. It may be a sappy story at times but it remains one of the most moving and involving anime I've ever watched. When After Story was airing I would watch each episode twice and then be unable to think about anything else throughout the week.

So, I plonked down $60 as soon as I found out about this. Great to hear it's been funded already. Hopefully they can get a hold of those HD assets. I'm not remotely bothered about the lack of an English dub; I wouldn't listen to it anyway. Doesn't matter what language it's in, anyone other than Mamiko Noto voicing Kotomi just ain't canon. I just hope the translation does the original text justice.

I'll be playing this the way I play all visual novels: with my best friend, with a beer. I'll do the voice of the main character. We've done that for years, and it's a great time. I even turned off the wonderful Mamoru Miyano in Steins;Gate so I could voice him myself. It just didn't feel right otherwise.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
grooven wrote:
What everyone said. An English dub would be unheard of and not needed. Took me around 80 hours to complete. I can't imagine how much extra time this would take and how much more money they would need. Plus, it's fine the way it is.

Not to mention it would require doubling the number of discs in each physical set (or switching to bluray for the release I suppose?).

A double layered DVD can only hold about 17 hours of CD quality audio.
For it to hold ~80 hours of audio would mean a bitrate of ~220 Kb/s, like mediocre quality just with one track.
Including an entire extra track would either force them to compress the audio on both tracks to unacceptable levels of quality or to include a second disc, upping the package manufacture costs, too.

Not that it particularly matters, but 80 hours reading is different from 80 hours of voiced lines. (although that is still roughly 20-30 hours of voiced lines)

Plus the extra voices could be put online as a download. Not that I care for English voices, it's good enough to just get Clannad.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Why no dub? Just curious. It would increase the potential audience significantly, and they might be able to crowdfund one at this point.

SHHHH! Your going to get Squid, Penguin or any other dub haters on here! especially Sentai Filmwork pithcforkers Laughing

Though I admit I would adore the company to pay Sentai Filmworks to dub some lines in the game which would not only be a milestone for the company istelf, but also to become the 1st texas anime dubbing company to voice a video game title.

BUT, its just not in the cards. Even though dubbing companies have dubbed twice as much of content. Sekai does not want to do that sadly. Though IF they are able to add milestones for the project, then MAAAYBEEE an english dub will be at the very top.

And all in all, since i doubt that will happen. I will just turn the japanese voices off and imagine the english VA's in my head voicing the text.

Speaking of 10th anniversary, I wonder if Sentai Filmworks will do a LE of clannad... The social media staff has said they wish to do it. And its one of the 10th best selling titles in their catolog, I don't see why not THAT can be a thing.

Or better yet, DO SOMETHING KYOTO ANIMATION/TBS!!! Either remake Clannad or add some more ova arcs on previous characters that got kinda ruined in the original show. And give them to Sentai so they can sprikle a great dub in there Anime smile
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I funded 2$ because I had no doubts it will reach the goal and I'm not Interested in Clannad translation but want to support it still. My money saved for Grisaia Kickstarter witch they planned to start later this month.
Goggen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
HylianPanda wrote:
Also an english dub for a visual novel would be far cheaper than people seem to realize. It's like dubbing an audio book only far less words.

You haven't played Clannad, have you.
Team Rocket Elite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
How much money would it cost to dub the game? I know it would be a lot but does anyone know what the actual dollar amount might be? I imagine it's not possible to come up with an exact answer but maybe a rough range?
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Team Rocket Elite wrote:
How much money would it cost to dub the game? I know it would be a lot but does anyone know what the actual dollar amount might be? I imagine it's not possible to come up with an exact answer but maybe a rough range?

To try to do some very, very rough math, a random site I won't even bother sourcing tells me it costs roughly $10,000 an episode for an English dub. That means the CLANNAD + After Story anime cost roughly $490,000 (though I suspect Sentai did it cheaper). Considering that the VN has quite a bit more dialogue than the anime, if they could do a dub on the super cheap, it would probably be at least $500,000. That's well over 3 times the amount the Kickstarter was initially trying to raise. So that would be quite a stretch goal.

As cool as it would be to see an English dubbed visual novel, it ain't gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Team Rocket Elite wrote:

Insane. The VN has more words than War and Peace. If rizuchan is right and it takes $10K an episode to dub a show, that cost is going to be waaaaay more than $500,000. Key VNs are big, but that's only VN-big. It sure isn't mainstream enough to get a full English dub.

Also, whatever happened to the dub-hating elitism I used to see in anime forums? I don't see it as much as I used to.
Manwards

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:32 am Reply with quote
It isn't necessarily elitism. I have no interest at all in dubs, and that isn't exclusive to anime. I wouldn't watch a French or Spanish film dubbed either. The voice is the soul of a character, especially in an animated medium where it's the only truly human element, and if a character is Japanese then they should be speaking Japanese. It feels false to me otherwise.

Also, the fact that I'm English means most American accents sound really broad to me, which makes them sound faintly ridiculous, especially when they're pronouncing names or places. It's all just opinions, at the end of the day.
Darstorm-Sandude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:11 am Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
GVman's comment sounds more like bait than an actual opinion.

Bait or not, the latter half of this thread has already turned into arguing/opinion over dubs.

Maybe ANN should seriously consider censoring the D-word (dub), just like how they censor fudge.

The instinctive me says fudge dubs.

The rational me sees them as a waste of peoples' time and money.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that some people demanded for the English dub. Not that I'm anti-dub, especially they're doing a pretty good job in CLANNAD anime IMHO. The problem is that visual novels are really lengthy, it'll probably took forever and cost a country to fully dub it.

And for some reason the first time I played CLANNAD was the unvoiced one, but it hit me harder than the voiced one I played several years later. For fast readers they might enjoy the non-voiced one better because they can't wait the characters to finish talking.
But it's great they met the goal. Hardcopy version pls.
mehh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Darstorm-Sandude wrote:
mehh wrote:
GVman's comment sounds more like bait than an actual opinion.

Bait or not, the latter half of this thread has already turned into arguing/opinion over dubs.

Maybe ANN should seriously consider censoring the D-word (dub), just like how they censor fudge.

The instinctive me says fudge dubs.

The rational me sees them as a waste of peoples' time and money.

you seem to mistake discussion and argument. there has been no sub/dub debate/argument in this thread yet, only a discussion of whether dubbing this VN would be viable or not.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should clarify that I actually prefer subs greatly over dubs. It's just that, whenever I got on forums anywhere, mentions of preferring anime dubs was usually met with great disdain. It was accepted that subs were the way anime is to be watched. When did this change so much that we now actually have people demanding dubs?
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
When did this change so much that we now actually have people demanding dubs?

This isn't the 1990s anymore. The sorts of people who demand English dubs generally don't live in the past.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
'90s? Live in the past? What are you talking about?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2