• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Eternal Summer English Dub Casts Greg Ayres as Nagisa

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DapperShiga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling Tatum would be cast as Rei! Anime catgrin
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually okay with this unlike J. Michael Tatum. He's got the look and spontastic energy like Sunohara from Clannad, and the girly/man tone that Greg Ayres can create in his voice.

J. Tatum is just to brooding and metrosexual for a character like Rei. He already ruined Erwin in AOT, I wont be suprised he does the same Anime hyper.

Now DAVID MATRANGA, DAVID MATRANGA, DAVID MATRANGA! Either Haru or Makoto! Cmon FUNI, use your brain Razz
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Hearing Ayres opinion on this show, I actually find this hilarious. (Not that he hates it, he refuses to watch anything streamed so he hadn't seen it, but he HAD seen the ending theme and he was the one who pointed out that they're dancing in a gay bar to me). I think his voice might be a little too low for Nagisa but he's surprised me before, so we'll see.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ITT: Greg Ayres scares a shitload of people out of watching the Free! dub for no other reason than his presence.

I know his voice is annoying sometimes but grow up people.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I have two comments about this.

1. I knew it. I knew from the beginning that Greg Ayres would voice Nagisa if Free ever got an English dub.

2. YES YES YES YES YES!!!!! *fangirl squeal* Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper
shterraarson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally I was thinking Clint Bickham (although he primarily works for Sentai) or Sean Michael Teague. I wouldn't mind hearing Greg though, I think people hate on him too much. Also if they get "miscast" yell at the directors because it was their decision in the first place! Tatum as Rei was kiiiind of a no-brainer. Because who else is gonna play the slightly uptight guy? Except maybe Ian Sinclair.

Personally...I'm leaning toward Micah Solusod for Haru, part of me wouldn't mind Johnny Young Bosch just because sometimes Haru's quirks remind me of Narukami from Persona 4. Jason Liebrecht or maybe Matranga for Rin. Todd Haberkorn should totally play Momotarou. I kinda want Vic to play coach Sasabe.

But all that aside I'm just glad they're finally dubbing it!
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
shterraarson wrote:
Personally I was thinking Clint Bickham (although he primarily works for Sentai) or Sean Michael Teague. I wouldn't mind hearing Greg though, I think people hate on him too much. Also if they get "miscast" yell at the directors because it was their decision in the first place! Tatum as Rei was kiiiind of a no-brainer. Because who else is gonna play the slightly uptight guy? Except maybe Ian Sinclair.

Personally...I'm leaning toward Micah Solusod for Haru, part of me wouldn't mind Johnny Young Bosch just because sometimes Haru's quirks remind me of Narukami from Persona 4. Jason Liebrecht or maybe Matranga for Rin. Todd Haberkorn should totally play Momotarou. I kinda want Vic to play coach Sasabe.

I haven't Sean Michael Teague in forever! I think he would have been great too. Anime hyper as for those other roles, Bosch and Haberkorn both live in LA, so unless they're really willing to travel for this show, it's unlikely they'll even audition.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sometimes? Try most of the time. Companies should have realized by now that giving Ayres main characters annoys many of us. He is fine as a minor character but do not shove him at my face by giving him big roles (to be fair, he worked once as a main character in BECK).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
shterraarson wrote:

I haven't Sean Michael Teague in forever! I think he would have been great too. Anime hyper as for those other roles, Bosch and Haberkorn both live in LA, so unless they're really willing to travel for this show, it's unlikely they'll even audition.

JYB might be a bit of a stretch, (Although he came back for the Trigun movie, was a main charcater for Sengoku Basara, and even had a minor role in Psycho-Pass so who knows) but Todd Haberkorn is at Funimation almost every week so I could see him being cast in it.
fribee1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Sometimes? Try most of the time. Companies should have realized by now that giving Ayres main characters annoys many of us. He is fine as a minor character but do not shove him at my face by giving him big roles (to be fair, he worked once as a main character in BECK).

THANK YOU! He's always been "that one voice actor that ruins a series" and actually had me hating dubs. Have you SEEN him as Negi in Negima?

I know it's what he does for a living and shitting on someone for doing something creative and taxing isn't nice but there really has to be a point where a studio has to ask itself "Why are so many people against dubs?", it's the horrible voices that funimation gives their characters. If it's not an odd voice, it's a super cliche accent.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm cool with this, especially if it means Ouran reunion (though I don't know what they'd do about Travis Willingham, don't think he's been to FUNimation since FMA:Brotherhood).

EDIT: Oh right, forgot he still drops by to play Ace in One Piece.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:40 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I'm actually okay with this unlike J. Michael Tatum. He's got the look and spontastic energy like Sunohara from Clannad, and the girly/man tone that Greg Ayres can create in his voice.

J. Tatum is just to brooding and metrosexual for a character like Rei. He already ruined Erwin in AOT, I wont be suprised he does the same Anime hyper.

Now DAVID MATRANGA, DAVID MATRANGA, DAVID MATRANGA! Either Haru or Makoto! Cmon FUNI, use your brain Razz

How is he 'Metrosexual', though? o_O Tatum is actually gay, isn't he?
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
One of the few voice actors I just can't stand. He's decent in some roles, but for the most part his whiny voice really ruins it for me. It would be fine if it weren't for the fact that he is continuously miscast. Nerds are pretty much his bread and butter. Although I'm not surprised, this is definitely not the voice I would imagine Nasisa having. Hopefully I'm wrong. Who knows? Maybe he'll try to to be as whiny for this character.

So I guess we can assume that tomorrow they will announce Makoto? I predict Todd Haberkorn.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
One of the few voice actors I just can't stand. He's decent in some roles, but for the most part his whiny voice really ruins it for me. It would be fine if it weren't for the fact that he is continuously miscast. Nerds are pretty much his bread and butter. Although I'm not surprised, this is definitely not the voice I would imagine Nasisa having. Hopefully I'm wrong. Who knows? Maybe he'll try not to to be as whiny & nazaly for this character.

So I guess we can assume that tomorrow they will announce Makoto? I predict Todd Haberkorn.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I don't know. I've been thinking about it this past hour and the idea is sorta growing on me. Still I save my judgement until it's out. I'll still support this no matter who they cast. I just want something Free! related in my house haha Smile

Same here. Most of the time I've loved Ayres in the roles he's had, but I was unsure over the dub of No. 6. On the other hand I adored his performance as Ouran's Kaoru, and Yuki in BECK was great.

But yes, in the end I love the series and the sub is reason enough for me to own this bad boy. I am daring to be hopeful regarding Crunchyroll's statement--not sitting on the license. I sincerely wish that translates to sharing season 1 with FUNi.

Last edited by Ashen Phoenix on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3