• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Colorful

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
PoS... Is this a misplaced article today? Colorful might not be a crowd pleaser but I can't help but feel but argue. At the very least, I know there's an awful lot who like this movie...

When Justin says "pile of shame" he is referring to his backlog of anime that he is ashamed for not having watched yet. He does not mean the term to refer to a bunch of anime that are so bad that he is ashamed for having watched them, although that is another legitimate meaning of the term.

You're by no means the first person to get confused by the particular usage of this term and you will certainly not be the last.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
But the confusion about why this would be part of that shameful pile of stuff not gotten to remains. As the earlier post said, we already know Justin's seen it and loved it, so it comes off as him just wanting to write his own review via the column.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree that this is a really pretty great movie, though the pacing and general unlikability of the characters (especially Makato) for the first half almost made me want to turn it off the first time. However, where the film really starts to shine for me is the train scene everyone else seems so annoyed by; that's where the intense negativity of the first half starts to gain meaning. And I've had multiple group showings of this movie to quite good effect myself, despite the pace. Definitely one of the more overlooked anime films of the past five years or so.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't able to connect with the main character in this at all.

Makoto wasn't the same Makoto after his soul was transplanted, so why was he so pissed at this woman that he didn't know? She never did anything to him. It would be like me getting angry with my landlord because she cheated on her husband... I just don't comprehend this kid's thought process at all. It wasn't a bad movie, I even gave it a 7, but Makoto just left me very bewildered.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
I'm seeing some things that make me unsure if everybody has understood the resolution to this movie so spoiler[did everyone understand that Makoto committed suicide and that his soul was placed back into his body at the moment of death but without his memories so that he could earn a second chance?] I'm just making sure.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
^yep. He didn't have his memories of being Makoto. And thus the reason why I don't understand his hatred for a woman who has never wronged him in any way.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
I'm seeing some things that make me unsure if everybody has understood the resolution to this movie so spoiler[did everyone understand that Makoto committed suicide and that his soul was placed back into his body at the moment of death but without his memories so that he could earn a second chance?] I'm just making sure.

Yes, that was the completely telegraphed and lame twist I was talking about. The second he said spoiler[I killed someone. I killed myself.]I yelled out "called it!". Everyone else yelled "lame".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
I couldn't finish it. When it started going on about trains for ten minutes I just couldn't hang on any more.

Yeah, I almost turned it off as well at that point. It was amazingly boring. Lucky for us, it was New Year's, and we passed the time going to the bathroom, one at a time. Nobody wanted to be the little pussy that said "This sucks, let's watch something else.".

I generally tend to avoid most serious "art" features, as the state of the Japanese industry makes feature animators want to be ART at all costs, to get away from the TV industry...And oh, they do try.
Those of you who think "We need animators who think animation isn't just for kids", just try watching the features from the animators who culturally think the TV output is for kids, and overcompensate at full blast.

Also, was anyone else reading the header and expecting the column to be about the old ADV pantyshot comedy? (Which was a lot more fun.)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Also, was anyone else reading the header and expecting the column to be about the old ADV pantyshot comedy? (Which was a lot more fun.)

I was going to make a lame joke about how I thought this film was about panties, but I forgot.

I've always wondered why there's that single male character in that who's terribly embarrassed by the fanservice hijinks going on around him instead of cartoonishly aroused like all the others.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Also, was anyone else reading the header and expecting the column to be about the old ADV pantyshot comedy?

Yep, me too. Though I was pleasantly surprised he was writing about the 2010 movie. But, that Colorful does remind me of the many many releases in the same flavor I would rent at the video store years ago from ADV.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
But the confusion about why this would be part of that shameful pile of stuff not gotten to remains. As the earlier post said, we already know Justin's seen it and loved it, so it comes off as him just wanting to write his own review via the column.

It's a repurposed review from a while ago that never ran for various reasons. The film is largely unknown and I've never been concerned with thematic purity regarding the column title, so.

At this point I'm seriously considering just renaming this column "Justin Sevakis Talks About Anime" or something else noncommittal to a theme or category so we don't have to have this pedantic go-round every couple weeks about what fits in what categorical box and so on. Same thing happened with Buried Treasure - if he wrote about something someone had heard of before the chorus of "how is this buried??" would start up.

Maybe I'll go for a Prince-like title and the "name" of the column will just be a photo of Justin's head. Or something.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Maybe I'll go for a Prince-like title and the "name" of the column will just be a photo of Justin's head. Or something.

Well Justin IS a handsome fella so I say go for it...

But for the sake of relevancy, I've actually owned this movie for what I think is maybe a half year and have yet to watch it, so if anything Colorful is sitting on my Pile of Shame.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
*deleted*

Last edited by DmonHiro on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:

Yeah and this is why I hate the movie; in the considerations of "Clean slate" versus "perspective", which one wins? Well, the game is rigged so it doesn't really matter {spoiler[A second chance is earned from what exactly? Learning about his surroundings rather than wallowing in self misery? And the people around him are all pretty miserable themselves, I think... Most of them being candidates themselves, right?] And it's not as if their lives change. So what's the point?

The moral of the story is "Life sucks. spoiler[Live with it.]. Why does this make the movie bad? I'll ask, just putting this out there, what is Japan's suicide rate again?

Perhaps I just can't see the forest because there are too many trees...

I would have accepted the movie if spoiler[it really wasn't his own life he was trying to redeem.]. Why? For one thing, it would have negated a need for a moral, even if it could have offered up one along the likes of "Death happens but life happens too."

For two, it would at least put importance spoiler[on two people who committed suicide rather than accidently saying, "Hey, a lot of people kill themselves, a lot of people are tested and a lot of people are, well, found wanting because they don't come back."]

In short, it's a message movie with a really bad message. spoiler[ "You are special, after all!"] Ha, Psych! You, the audience, really will believe anything, won't you?!

"Gullible is an understatement..."
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
At this point I'm seriously considering just renaming this column "Justin Sevakis Talks About Anime" or something else noncommittal ...

I think that you should call it "Justin Time." Wink Embarassed

I also thought that this column was going to be about the ADV 17+ "Colorful" DVD.
That is in my personal Pile of Shame. I really have no idea why I never got around to watching it. Maybe now that I am thinking of it I will give it a try.

I do not remember ever hearing of the "Colorful" that the article is about.
It seems like it would not be my type of show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3