• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Over the Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow ... that was ... rough.

I have a hard time believing that VIZ will not eventually be making good on what appears to be a very flawed release of something that was so highly anticipated.

Mark Gosdin
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
So basically, Viz will not stream to Canada unless they can partner with some kind of theoretical company that does not, and will never, exist. They'd probably lose money on setting up some kind of alternative platform for Canada, but if they don't like it, they have to stop sitting on these streaming licenses. I understand that they maintain Hulu exclusivity because they probably yield higher ad revenue, but as it stands they're essentially profiting off of not making these titles available in Canada. This just isn't acceptable.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Unless it's a new transfer from film, don't buy the BD because you're not going to get that kind of quality. Otherwise, it's like preferring the Aristocats to the Little Mermaid.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointing to hear Viz essentially say: suck it, we don't care if you are unhappy with the video quality of our Sailor Moon release. I am not sure if the people at Viz are that oblivious about video quality or if they are in major denial.

I am assuming that Viz knows that they are going to sell a ton of copies to more casuals fans who might not have issues with video quality. I plan to buy all sets because I am in a position where I feel comfortable expending $50 in 20 badly encoded episodes, and the new dub is nice. It also helps that I am not very picky about video quality.

But I can understand videophiles and big fans of Sailor Moon being upset. Hopefully Viz will screw less and less with every new release.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well this was a tense interview. Kudos to Zac for asking the tough questions though.
WitchWatcher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
good job on grilling them zac
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Very disappointing about Viz going about with Sailor Moon. Want to get some particular seasons but this kind of scares me off a bit. Will wait for reviews. Want the DVDs, but not liking how it was treated with the first set. TV is of the old variety, so seeing unnecessary black bars is disappointing. Worst comes to shove, will wait for a very low price point.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, me, I don't mind the quality and stuff, but oh well, what do, I'm happy for what it is, and its contents included.

But yeah, opinions here and there.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
So basically, Viz will not stream to Canada unless they can partner with some kind of theoretical company that does not, and will never, exist. They'd probably lose money on setting up some kind of alternative platform for Canada, but if they don't like it, they have to stop sitting on these streaming licenses. I understand that they maintain Hulu exclusivity because they probably yield higher ad revenue, but as it stands they're essentially profiting off of not making these titles available in Canada. This just isn't acceptable.

I think it's insane that they went with the "Hulu" plan they announced way back in February without the slightest idea of a solution for Canadian fans. We had a fully functional service that was pulled from under our feet, and now considering Charlene's answer, I guess it's clear that despite this, and this, the reality is they just don't have a clue...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Compared to the bootlegs* of season 1 I had before that were rips from ADV's release (*the sets were gifts from well-meaning but unknowing family members) , Viz's release is tons better so I'm super happy with my sets.

I didn't even realize the ghosting & stuff was even happening till I saw a screencap and went "oh yeah i guess so", so I was surprised to hear there was a big backlash against them.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Making my way through the ANNCast now...

Dear God, did she just make a joke that the fans that paid good money for their DVD release can consider the pillarbox blunder to be a "collector's edition?"

As if every other way that she contradicted herself, skirted the issues, or made excuses for the glaringly poor video quality weren't bad enough.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Viz has always been the worst company.

There's a lot of slippery language from the Viz people here.

Last edited by Fronzel on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Yikes.....dunno what to say. I mean, between this and poor ADV transfers....there really is no perfect edition (at least for the first two seasons)

Although I cannot decide if its entirely Viz's fault. If it had been licensed to Sentai or Funimation the transfers would still be bad, so then its Toei's fault. Supposedly they do not take care of their stuff.
Jeyl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised there was no attempt to ask why, if VIZ knew about the errors in the video, did they simply not go to Toei and state that the masters they had weren't any good. Is it possible that Toei could be jerking around with VIZ to the point that the studio can't say anything for fear that their license will be pulled or be given an even poorer looking master? This wouldn't be the first time an anime studio has given american distributers subpar masters when much better material exists out there.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Yikes.....dunno what to say. I mean, between this and poor ADV transfers....there really is no perfect edition (at least for the first two seasons)

Sure there are, the R2s. Rolling Eyes

I've always trusted Viz about as far as I can throw them. That is to say, not at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8