• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Show Me Your Evil Stick

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Another reason for replacing scores is gaining royalties from the new music, which can be incredibly lucrative. That's the tactic that put Haim Saban on the map.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the 80s both Japan and the US had children's books and comics that were lazily turned into a narrated video.

God I loathed these. There's that initial rush of joy that the teacher is going to pop that VHS in and we're gonna watch something, and then it's pans and zooms of Julie of the Wolves and my mind begins to deflate. As for motion comics in general, I am disappointed every time I see some new Marvel/DC animation only to find out its one of those godawful things. Who buys them, who even likes them?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Another reason for replacing scores is gaining royalties from the new music, which can be incredibly lucrative. That's the tactic that put Haim Saban on the map.

That is also true, Japanese soundtrack can be very expensive and I can see why some music was cut out from non-kid anime, like Funimation had to replace one of Tokio's music in Kodacha.

Also other then that, this week Answerman was very interesting. I don't have any say on the manga 2.5 because I don't read manga on CR.

But Bandai's limited edition of Partlabor being super cheap really surprise me. Thanks for explaining.

Regarding the evil stick:

You wrote:
But because I personally bought an Evil Stick at a dollar store at least SIX YEARS AGO as a joke gift, and people are just getting upset about it now.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

So those thing came out way before the ANN article and the news report on it. Shocked

I'm so amazed how they just discovered this now, I guess I can say that news report is shoddy journalism because they didn't do their research. Mad

But anyway, very interesting Answerman this week, keep it up. Oh and I went to the website where it has pictures of Chinese bootleg, I definitely got a good laugh. Laughing

These pictures really made my day. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh, the BVUSA Patlabor movies. I though about buying them, but I will wait a bit for someone (perhaps Maiden Japan) to release them on BD. If I run out of patience, I might import the Japanese BD's; I hear they are English subtitled and dubbed.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I was actually able to pick up the Patlabor sets about 2 or so years ago brand new for $10 apiece, and at the time they were going for about $15 on Amazon.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh, the BVUSA Patlabor movies. I though about buying them, but I will wait a bit for someone (perhaps Maiden Japan) to release them on BD. If I run out of patience, I might import the Japanese BD's; I hear they are English subtitled and dubbed.

Since the Japanese BDs have been out for a while now, the reason to grab the BVUSA deluxe sets is for the goodies.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting about rescoring anime to fill all the silent parts is that I remember that Batman: The Animated Series had at least some episodes with dialogue scenes without any music or music playing with little dialogue. Point being, it shows that use of at least some level silence is/was acceptable in American cartoons and doesn't necesserily lead to flops.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But $90 for a movie? In 2006, when the country was awash in cheap anime DVDs? Forget it.

Also, they had the misfortune of jumping in at the ass end of the U.S. DVD/anime bubble.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Around last Christmas, I saw multiple copies of the Bandai Visual Patlabor 2 (and possibly the first one) DVD on racks at XS Cargo, a Canadian clearance chain (that's just gone out of business) for around $3 or so. I think they were the regular releases without the artbook, but, still, it was interesting to still see Bandai Visual releases on the clearance racks some 7 to 8 years later.

I'd have bought it, but, yes, I have the Manga releases from way back when, and, while I'm fully aware that the video is supposed to be so much better on the Bandai Visual releases, I don't really buy theatrical movies on DVD anymore (TV series made for NTSC, yeah, I'll still buy DVDs, but movies I want on Blu-Ray).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Music replacement is a pretty repugnant practice, a way of forcing a cultural hegemony over the original product, and the music often misses the point of scenes and atmosphere. Just look at the US music for DBZ. Fine, an action show either way, but it's wall-to-wall and very artificial sounding, often creating a false impression of the emotions intended to be conveyed in certain scenes.

I wonder if the plummeting prices of the Patlabor movie sets will eventually apply to volumes of Gundam Unicorn. But those are probably two slightly different situations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if there are any examples of music being replaced for this reason in North American kiddy TV dubs, but occasionally, music has to be replaced in anime simply because the music rights holders simply won't let the American anime distributor have it, with the most infamous example I can think of is the band Tokio refusing to give permission to Funimation to use the first Kodomo no Omocha opening song "Juukuu-ji no Nyusu" even on the original Japanese audio track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Digimon is one of the biggest victims of this:It has a kickass soundtrack that gets ruined in the English dubs.As someone who grew up watching Digimon in my local dub that preserved the script and the score and was uncensored,I found those Digimon dubs horrible.If you like them for nostalgic reasons,that's your problem,but it won't change the fact they are as much of a hackjobs than the typical 4Kids dubs did
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I don't know if there are any examples of music being replaced for this reason in North American kiddy TV dubs, but occasionally, music has to be replaced in anime simply because the music rights holders simply won't let the American anime distributor have it, with the most infamous example I can think of is the band Tokio refusing to give permission to Funimation to use the first Kodomo no Omocha opening song "Juukuu-ji no Nyusu" even on the original Japanese audio track.

Guys, background music =/= songs. Background music is acquired "in a batch" with the show, while songs (including insert songs) are the ones that can be tangled in legal problems.

So no, when background music is changed, it most definetly isn't "because rights".

(and before anyone mention DBZ Kai and Kenji Yamamoto, that was a special case and you know it).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I don't get what's so disturbing about the Evil Stick. It's so absurd, it's hilarious! There's nothing funnier than bootleg merchandise. I remember the bootleg Yu-Gi-Oh! cards I used to find in the dollar stores. They were weirdly translated and had crazy power levels. They were those really glossy laminated versions that every kid seemed to come across at least once if they were into YGO. I guess they were mostly targeted to parents and grandparents who didn't know any better.

I bought both Patlabor sets off Amazon for $12 each. VERY nice collections, even though they're not Blu-ray. I guess I'll rebuy them should they come out here in the format, but I highly doubt they'll have the extras of these sets, which is why I got them.

Some US anime soundtracks were also created because the music and effects tracks didn't exist. Look at the Dirty Pair OVAs. I actually thought they had decent US soundtracks. Most of 4Kids' soundtracks are pretty boring and bland, DiC's Sailor Moon soundtrack was decent enough (though I still prefer the Japanese soundtrack overall), and I also enjoy Bruce Faulconer's DBZ soundtrack (I LOVED Kikuichi's DB soundtrack, but it gets pretty stale by the time DBZ comes along. There were some good pieces here and there, but I feel most comfortable with the US soundtrack).

Motion comics go back to the 60s. Ever heard of The Marvel Superheroes? It was a cheap cartoon that basically just took scans of comic book pages with minimal animation and a few voice actors reading the dialogue.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I think I saw the Patlabor boxes get down to around $10 a piece at one point. I bought a second set for dirt cheap.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Since the Japanese BDs have been out for a while now, the reason to grab the BVUSA deluxe sets is for the goodies.

The DVD sets are a supplemental extra goldmine. The Japanese fans didn't even get the stuff we did (same with that Jin Roh ekonte) how lucky are we. If you come across brand new JP Patlabor movie DVD+BD combo sets for cheap swoop them up. Dolby tossed in some really cool image cards to promote their TrueHD roll-out. Those very first combo sets BV made are lovely collector items (Patlabor 1, 2, Honneamise, and Ghost in the Shell) its a shame Patlabor didn't make it stateside. They likely would have been replica boxes.

Tenchi wrote:
...it was interesting to still see Bandai Visual releases on the clearance racks some 7 to 8 years later.

Demon Prince Enma and Wings of Rean were a few I saw for disgustingly cheap. Galaxy Angel Rune is another one but that fourth volume is another story. Volume 1-3 literally go for pennies.

Last edited by luffypirate on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5