• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Ode to Nodame

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie_S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
At least it's possible to hold Kirihito without straining a muscle.

Excellence comes with a price [tag], after all.

Quote:
It got alot of attention due to being associated with the film and got nominated for an Eisner one year because of that attention (as well as Art Spiegelman's endorsement), but couldn't hope to compete with Vertical's publicity machine (keep in mind it had ALREADY won the award the previous year). Last Gasp is an obscure publisher as they come, so I doubt that TotEC will end up being nominated since it lacks the reputation that BG had.

Buddha stealing the show two years in a row... yikes. Eh, well, I guess I can't really expect something like Barefoot Gen to actually win an award, let alone Abandon the Old in Tokyo. By any luck Drawn and Quarterly might draw some attention to the next collection of Tatsumi's stories (possibly the last?) next year.

The Pushman and Abandon the Old in Tokyo are both totally awesome reads and I'm looking forward to Drawn and Quarterly's next collection I hope all of you check it out. In a recent interview Tatsumi states that Osamu Tezuka was a big influence on his work, which is awesome when you consider that the gegika movement spearheaded by Tezuka heavily influenced Ode to Kirihito.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Eddie_S wrote:
The Pushman and Abandon the Old in Tokyo are both totally awesome reads and I'm looking forward to Drawn and Quarterly's next collection I hope all of you check it out. In a recent interview Tatsumi states that Osamu Tezuka was a big influence on his work, which is awesome when you consider that the gegika movement spearheaded by Tezuka heavily influenced Ode to Kirihito.

Funnily enough, Tatsumi in his early days didn't like to show Tezuka his "serious" stuff even though he stopped by Tezuka's house all the time to hang out and talk shop. He felt that Osamu (who was still in the thick of Astro Boy at the time, I think) wouldn't have approved.

I think the older 1970's Tezuka would have been more than okay with it, although Tatsumi's overwhelming hopelessness vs. Tezuka's faith in humanity is probably where their fundamental philosophies diverge.

(source: Comic-con '06)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2