• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Attack on Titan Films' Eren, Mikasa, 11 Others Unveiled in Costume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
grouwl wrote:
proving my point that an accurate AOT movie will only work with an international cast, spoken in english, In a german town, and either directed by Guillermo Del Toro, Quentin Tarantino or Zack Snider.

Quentin Tarantino tends to eschew CGI in favor of practical effects, and a live-action Attack on Titan would definitely need a lot of CGI. He could still write and/or produce it, but somebody else needs to be in the director's chair. Robert Rodriguez, for instance.

As far as actual actors go: Christoph Waltz, Til Schweiger, Michael Fassbender. Maybe throw in Thomas Kretschmann as well.
Eisenmann V

Miyanoai wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Take Quentin Tarentino out and replace him with Gareth Edwards. I can also accept Bong Joon-ho (watch Snowpiercer and you'll see why) as another director that can pull off a live-action Attack on Titan.

Seen it and I thoroughly agree. Though hopefully with a different ending. Which makes me wonder just what this story is going to be about? Is it going to be like a recap or more of an OVA?

Considering they recast all the euro characters as being Japanese and added a bunch of new ones, just treat it as a parallel-universe OVA.
MechaGolem

It kind of amazes me that more people haven't caught on to what is going on with the live-action ATTACK ON TITAN film and are still complaining about it not being faithful to the original manga or anime. That was never the plan here.

The studio producing the film is Toho, which gave us Godzilla and practically the entire Kaiju genre.

The director of the movie is Shinji Higuchi, the guy who brought us the 90s Gamera trilogy. He's also worked on some of the Godzilla movies.

The assistant director is Kazuhiro Nakagawa, whose debut was a live-action short film called Day of the Kaiju and who I had the pleasure of meeting over the summer at G-FEST, a convention for Godzilla and Kaiju Eiga fans.

The lead art director Toshio Miike whose credits include such titles as Kamen Rider Black and Black RX, Ultraman Mebius, Ultraman Saga, DaiMajin Kanon, the aforementioned 90s Gamera trilogy, Godzilla Tokyo SOS, and Godzilla Final Wars.

As revealed in the "making of..." for the AOT Subaru commercial that came out last year, the Titans for this film are being done tokusatsu-style with practical effects like make-up, suits, and puppetry. The Colossal Titan is a rod-puppet. At G-FEST, Nakagawa showed people photos of the Armor Titan which is a suit. He also told us that the 3D maneuver gear sequences are being done via wire work. Japanese resident film critic Norman England visited the set of AOT back in July and posted photos on his blog on the miniature city sets Miike is building for the film.

Principal photography is taking place at Toho Studios and on Hashima Island in the Nagasaki Prefecture which is literally a floating city (fairly modern) that was originally a coal mining facility that had a concert wall erected around it to protect it from typhoons but was later abandoned after the coal mining industry phased out.

Obviously the film has an all Japanese cast, and now we photos of them, included a very intriguing one of Hanji cradling an RPG.

In case it all hasn't clicked yet, what Higuchi and crew and obviously doing is re-imagining AOT as a kaiju movie done in a traditional tokusatsu fashion. This isn't going to be a faithful retelling on the manga or anime. That was never the intent. The idea was to take AOT back to its roots, which is in Japan's long and storied Kaiju Eiga tradition.

For those who love anime but apparently can't tolerate Japan's live-action films I know I've undoubtedly made things all that much worse for you. But for those of us who enjoy (or maybe even prefer) tokusatsu to anime this all sounds amazing!
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Sasha trying to be Katniss there?
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MechaGolem wrote:

For those who love anime but apparently can't tolerate Japan's live-action films I know I've undoubtedly made things all that much worse for you. But for those of us who enjoy (or maybe even prefer) tokusatsu to anime this all sounds amazing!

Well to be honest, when it comes to Japanese films, they can't really hold candle to Hollywood films or other Asian cinema (ie: South Korea, Mainland China), so that's why I'm not sure how Attack on Titan live-action will look. If you seen the live-action adaptation of Lupin the 3rd, and Kiki's delivery service. They didn't look good in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the source material notes that Mikasa is the only Asian character amongst the significant cast members?

People get over this trivia ok? It worked for the anime but would not work for the live action version. And if you start asking yourself why, just pause, reflect and reevaluate...

Um, no. That isn't how it works. If I have to sift though hundreds upon hundred of post about WHITE WASHING on any western adaption of a manga. Then, I sure as hell am not going to just "Brush it off" when they can't even give Arimn Blond hair for goodness sake.

So, now all of you bitching about White Washing can suck it because this is the crudest example of YELLOW WASHING I've seen to date.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Um, no. That isn't how it works. If I have to sift though hundreds upon hundred of post about WHITE WASHING on any western adaption of a manga. Then, I sure as hell am not going to just "Brush it off" when they can't even give Arimn Blond hair for goodness sake.

So, now all of you bitching about White Washing can suck it because this is the crudest example of YELLOW WASHING I've seen to date.

"Yellow Washing"? It's really amazing this kind of ignorance exists in our society to this day.

And it's a Japanese comic to begin with. There's just.. so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to begin.
MechaGolem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
MechaGolem wrote:

Well to be honest, when it comes to Japanese films, they can't really hold candle to Hollywood films or other Asian cinema (ie: South Korea, Mainland China), so that's why I'm not sure how Attack on Titan live-action will look. If you seen the live-action adaptation of Lupin the 3rd, and Kiki's delivery service. They didn't look good in the end.

Really? The vast majority of China's cinematic output has historically come out of British occupied Hong Kong while South Korea didn't even have a film industry until the mid-90s. Meanwhile Japan has been the second largest producer of motion-pictures since the 1950s, right alongside the US and occasionally outpacing us. Japan has given us directors like Akira Kurosawa, Yasujirō Ozu, Kon Ichikawa, Takashi Miike, Kinji Fukasaku, Ishiro Honda, Takeshi Kitano, Hiroshi Inagaki, Masaki Kobayashi, Yôji Yamada, and many many more.

Japan's films are beautiful, vibrant and full of creativity. Which is not to say that Korea and China's are not - but both Korean and Chinese filmmakers owe a great debt to Japan. For years both countries actually relied Japan's film industry to prop up their own - especially when it came to SFX heavy films.

The problem I usually find is that if someone doesn't like Japanese live-action film it's not the films which are the issue. It's that the person viewing them hasn't reoriented themselves properly for the viewing experience. As Donald Ritchie writes in his introduction to The History of Japanese Film, watching Japanese film requires one to drop all pretenses to what good art is and enter into a totally Japanese mindset where very different cinematic convention and aesthetic preferences hold sway. One of those is a lack of emphasis on photo realism. Japanese prefer their art stylized. Oddly enough, you would imagine that fans of anime - which is hyper stylized - would have picked up on that by now...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Ragga Ragga wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the source material notes that Mikasa is the only Asian character amongst the significant cast members?

People get over this trivia ok? It worked for the anime but would not work for the live action version. And if you start asking yourself why, just pause, reflect and reevaluate...

I think we know why it would work in the anime vs the live action version (so long as they wanted to keep it in the Japanese language), but Ryu Shoji is right that this is a fairly significant thing in the manga, one that is starting to pan out into clues about the overall mysteries. One assumes they'll come up with a way to get around that, though - and given that they've added in a bunch of new characters with Japanese names, I'm fairly certain that the best we will get out of this is a movie that's based on elements and ideas of the manga, not an adaptation of the manga itself. Which is disappointing, but probably inevitable.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't say if I approve of Kiko Mizuhara until I see her abs! >_<and>_<
lamel2g

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
They're really milking this series for everything it's worth, meanwhile still no word on Season 2.
D.E.D.E

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Umm is that a truck/tank behind the character Souda?? Also the argument that because it's a japanese comic, it's completely ok to make the characters japanese is a stupid one. It's like saying it's ok to make Edward Elric japanese if they ever made a full metal alchemist movie just because the author is Japanese. It's stupid and illogical. I don't mind the changes to the characters, as long as it retains the spirit of the anime/manga.

Last edited by D.E.D.E on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
MechaGolem wrote:

I'll be on the lookout.

UPDATE: You may need to re-submit it. I had the PM function turned off for some reason.

PM is already in.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
They might have pull a reverse with the race, instead of them being white their now asian/Japanese with Mikasa still being mixed. FYI Kiko Mizuhara who's playing Mikasa is half white.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
MechaGolem wrote:

In case it all hasn't clicked yet, what Higuchi and crew and obviously doing is re-imagining AOT as a kaiju movie done in a traditional tokusatsu fashion. This isn't going to be a faithful retelling on the manga or anime. That was never the intent. The idea was to take AOT back to its roots, which is in Japan's long and storied Kaiju Eiga tradition.

It didn't click to me before but now it makes incredible sense. If I end up seeing this film, I'll probably end up enjoying more with that in mind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7