• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nominations for Top Buzzwords of 2014 are In

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Eric Stimson wrote:
•kopitto ("thoroughly" in Yamanashi dialect; used in the TV drama Haruko & Anne)
•Go-kigenyou ("How do you do?", also used in Haruko & Anne)

誰だよ、ハルコって…。
Actually, the title of the TV drama series is Hanako to Anne.
Haven't you read translations by Muraoka Hanako, Mr Stimson? w

http://www.nhk.or.jp/hanako/

Whoops, you're right. Fixed.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
The "mild Yankee" description was based on the description in the linked Nippon.com article. It seems like the truth is somewhere in between. It's kind of hard to accurately describe this in a single sentence, though. Confused

Agent355 wrote:

I don't understand "dangerous drugs" enough to categorize it-is it about illegal drugs or prescription drugs?

Neither, they're legal drugs available in some stores that can be dangerous and addictive.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
I'm in Japan atm and it get it's own section everywhere. The movie was okay and nothing beyond that.

I feel your pain! I reached the point a while back where something started to feel out-of-place if I walked into a store and that OST wasn't being played.

Still haven't seen the movie.

Hey I didn't say that quote. grooven did.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:

Agent355 wrote:

I don't understand "dangerous drugs" enough to categorize it-is it about illegal drugs or prescription drugs?

Neither, they're legal drugs available in some stores that can be dangerous and addictive.

Sounds like the U.S. equivalent of "spice" and "bath salts"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me to be about Sudafed type allergy medication which can be used to make meth.

Unless Japan allows certain addictive drugs over the counter, like certain painkillers and sleeping pills.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 am Reply with quote
Loophole / dangerous drugs:

Dealing With Addiction: Japan's Drug Problem

• Loophole drugs typically include a mixture of chemicals that are not regulated by the Pharmaceutical Affairs Law but can have similar effects to illegal drugs such as methamphetamine and marijuana. The possession of these compounds is not strictly illegal, but Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has declared war on such law-evading drugs after a recent series of car accidents that were allegedly caused by drivers under the influence of such substances.

"( Loophole drugs ) drugs have become the most dangerous drug in Japan," Naruse says. "They are several times more dangerous than methamphetamine and 10 times more effective than marijuana."

The health ministry says that more than 1,370 chemicals have now been outlawed - a sharp increase from the 68 that had been banned in 2012. But every time the health ministry bans one compound, a new one finds its way onto the market, turning the whole exercise into an endless game of cat-and-mouse for authorities.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
The "mild Yankee" description was based on the description in the linked Nippon.com article. It seems like the truth is somewhere in between. It's kind of hard to accurately describe this in a single sentence, though. Confused

I dug up and reread Yankee Economy: New conservatives who are main consumers, the book in which the Hakuhōdō analyst Harada Yōhei had coined the term in question 'mild Yankee'. The majority of mild Yankees are the 'Local tribe', who stay in their hometowns and don't go to Tokyo or even a nearby big city. They are lowbrow lower-class people who might have become Yankees if they had lived, say, in the 80s. (The 'Yankee' part of the term reflects this aspect.) They don't rebel against adults and the Establishment. They don't have ambitions such as 'going to Tokyo and climbing up the social ladder'. They are content with living a small-scale undisturbed life with their families and local friends and are content with small happiness such as enjoying karaoke with local friends and going shopping to the mall with one's wife and children. As to a simple description of mild Yankees, the author Harada Yōhei says that they are young people who don't have the 'going up to Tokyo' inclination, have firm human relations and bases for life in their hometowns and don't want to go outside their hometowns.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2