• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - To the Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hrm. You know, I just realized. Well, I actually knew from the start, just failed to mention really.

I'm not looking towards fan reaction if it fails so much as how Nintendo intends to clean up the mess. Mother 3 still leaves a pretty bad taste in people's mouths, no? And their excuses for not bringing it over get more pathetic with each mention.

I always hated the hell out of Reggie, so honestly, the one thing I look forward to the most if this fails is him trying to squirm after a controversial decision. That makes sense, don't it? (I won't lie...I do enjoy seeing pissed off fans who have no idea what they're talking about attempt to relay their anger in a coherent format. Does that make me a troll? ...Maybe. Like, 5%.)

EDIT:

Very Happy psychogamer? I'm guessing this is the confirmation you mentioned that NOA sent out today?
Quote:
“Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say “never,” but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!”

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1179222p1.html
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
No need to be a jerk about it, John Casey.

These games were not panned by critics, iirc. In fact, they got really high scores. Deciding "I hope no one gets to decide if they want to play these games or not because I didn't like them, even though everyone else did" is already ridiculous enough, because everyone should get a chance to decide for themselves if the game is good if it's so universally accepted. But then you post that online? And expect people to be okay with that? That kind of selfish thinking isn't just irritating, it's completely illogical...

Anyway, that Nintendo actually said no to them seems to be a horrible move, publicitywise. I didn't even think they could do that, given this situation. I was certain they'd release it somehow, even if it was kinda crappily... "Ah, we see what the fans are looking for! We're aware of what our fanbase wants badly...yeah, no, we're definitely not gonna bring it over."
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't being a jerk about it. Dude said something completely wrong, so I corrected him. And secondly, the "critical review" you're citing would be Famitsu.

In which case, they always give good scores depending on the company. How else do you explain them giving good scores to abominations like The 3rd Birthday or Sigma Harmonics? It's widely accepted that Famitsu are duffel-baggers. The score they give depends on how many zeroes are on the check.

Thirdly...when did I say those games were actually bad? Show it. All I said was that Xenoblade had a boring as nails battle system, and that The Last Story was extremely uninspired for a Sakaguchi game. That all amounts to a single conclusion: Nowhere near the hype.

I can't speak for everyone else. I can't say "everyone else who played these games would say the same." ...But I can at least assure you, a damn close amount of them would. It's funny. Almost everyone hyping the crap out of these games has never touched them. I played them. My gorram neighbor imported them. Hell, I kicked his ass in MvC3 just so I can borrow his Wii and Pandora's Tower over a weekend to finish it in my own groove - the other two just sort of tagged along. I can safely speak for these games.

It's always the closed-minded who are the ultimate naysayers, or naive optimists (read: zealots). I mean...do you even have any idea how far some of those people are going? It's like some sort of twisted self-gratification: "If you own a Wii, you MUST PARTAKE IN THIS! If you are not with us, YOU ARE AGAINST US!" Ridiculous.

As far the quality of those games is concerned, I am 100% neutral. Which is exactly why I can look forward to this upcoming shitstorm.

Causing the shitstorm would make me the troll. Since I'm not a representative for Nintendo...it's safe to say that I'm not the one trolling you guys. I didn't say no. The only thing I said...is that I partially hope they would say no. >=)

If I was in it for the games, I would 100% be working my ass off right now convincing you guys these games aren't worth it. I never said that. They just aren't worth it to me. So, I just go for the next best thing.
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I was wrong, the source I read apparently jumped the gun with the European release and coments about it still being in the air, sorry about that mistake.

But at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see these games come out. people showed enough intrest for other publishers to make deals with Nintendo provided Nintendo chooses not to publish them.
Doria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, if the games aren't that great, then yes, I don't really care if they come here per se. What I do care about is NOA's apparent lack of interest in the adult market for this region. Now, in fairness, sales have indicated that there simply isn't a strong one here. So I don't know if it's chicken or the egg... Is there no adult audience for the wii because there are no games for them to play? And are there no games for them to play because they don't sell well?

It reminds me of Beyond Good and Evil, which everyone harkens as "Why don't people make good games like that?" Well, they don't because no one buys them! It was released on two platforms (soon to be three) and simply didn't sell many copies.

It's true that if you're already localizing in English, you could just slap the (European English) translation in the game and call it good. But it still costs money to release a game in a different territory. It costs money to get approval from the regional publisher, to press copies, to advertise, to arrange store space, etc.

That said, there have been a few adult games that I think would have sold well enough to justify their costs (Fatal Frame IV being one, given its strong, established fan base), and there I do feel NOA has just given up on any adult market. Perhaps they looked at the sales for games like Madworld and just said, "No, thanks."
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not questioning the idea of whether or not "adult" audience is playing a part in it, so much as "national" audience.

Why exactly are only Europe and Australia getting these games? Do JRPGs regularly sell better over there? Are distribution and localization costs lower? Are they just making up for lost time for being the butt-monkey when it comes to games getting released there for so long? It's just really bizarre.
Doria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that's true about the adult portion. I associate Xenoblade with Xenogears (though I realize they're technically unrelated, from what I understand), as I'm sure most people my age do, so I tend to classify that automatically as targeted to fans of that game. And The Last Guardian looked more "adult" to me, in the way of The Last Remnant, though perhaps it was just the name?

Regardless, you're correct that I let a pet peeve run away with me there.

It's my feeling that J-RPGs are still not seen as particularly "mainstream" in the US, unless they're named Final Fantasy. Some are exceptions--Persona has been very profitable for Atlus, but Atlus has also been smart in their print runs, limiting potential losses. They know their niche, and they're good at estimating how numerous it is.

A lot of larger publishers, though, may not want to settle for a niche, if they can import something that they feel will be a more mainstream success. It may be dubious logic, but I imagine that's a lot of their line of thought.

As for your question, it costs different amounts to localize per territory. Each territory typically will set their own prices (for a larger publisher, with branches in the major areas), based on their anticipated ROI.

But you know, I like your butt monkey theory, too...
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:

And since the Wii's pretty much going to be eclipsed by the WiiU in a year or so anyways, why shouldn't they just throw their cards down?

Mainly to do so, that is the thing that that really bugs me... Nintendo seems rather set to shove the Wii under the bus at this point from a developers stand-point. So I don't think that this Operation has any real legs.
On a few matters, Nintendo is still going to hold on to the Wii Legacy (namely with the wands, and accessories) but as I see it... Wii's day's are numbered from the day WiiU hits the market. So WHY demand on three games on a system that Nintendo is no longer willing to support completely loose me?

Now if Rainfall focused on getting those three on the new platform, they may have something. But as it stands, it seems missed aimed.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:37 am Reply with quote
I posted this once on the forum, but maybe it's more relevant if I post it here.

At the Good Smile Company and Nitro+ panel held at AX on Monday, GSC president Aki Takanori said an English version of BRS:The Game was indeed still in the works, though she didn't say if it was new release or an English option for the Japanese game, just that it's happening.

Quote:
11:26:08 <bay> A: did you watch the concert?
11:27:07 <bay> so we've already released a lot of miku figures, and with nitro+ and aniplex, we'll be releasing madoka ones in aug/sept
11:28:07 <bay> and brs... with the game... in the summer, gsc will release some secret information at the same time
11:28:13 <bay> and also the trailer that you saw for the brs game, there is a lot of english comments for it
11:28:22 <bay> so right now, they are preparing an english version of the game as well

Sounds like GSC is dedicated to making this happen even if NISA isn't.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3