• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
Oh my god, this thread... Laughing

Oh my gosh that's brilliant.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
As that is a locked thread we really need to replicate it before it disappears...

Thread title: "How do I read??"
First time poster writes:
Quote:
Hi, i'm new and i wantto read a manga but i don't know how... HELP!!!
Sad

Tony K.'s reply...
Quote:
1. Buy or borrow a manga.

2. Pick up the manga with your hands.

3. Open the manga with your fingers.

4. Look inside the manga.

5. Read the words and look at the pictures with your eyes. If you're blind, then you're out of luck. 'Cause I don't think they make manga in Braille.

If you're asking for downloads, look here. [link deleted]

Good luck.

And though it is funny. I do feel a little sorry for the OP. There is a good chance it was just a kid who can't figure out how to read back to front and right to left.
Remember when all the manga used to include that instructional page on the "last" page?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
^
Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for the OP, as well! Sad Embarassed
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Elocution is the difference-maker between asking/making a question/statement sound good/stupid.

Judging by the user's name, English may not even be their first language. But again, specificity can go a long way. Remember that. Heck, write that on the next birthday card you give out to people. It'll do wonders for the world!
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
"How do I read??"

Man, I can't stop laughing... Laughing
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe this just happened:

Blood- wrote:
Actually, I gotta kind of agree with dtm42 on this one.

Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I WAS HIGH WHEN I WROTE THAT!!! AND--AND DRUNK!!! AND INSANE!!! AND THERE WAS TOTALLY A GUN BEING HELD TO MY HEAD!!!

Wink
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
See Blood? This is what happens when you disagree with me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I was actually going to write that he had been replaced with an imposter, that it was evidence of a Skrull invasion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Writing about Kirito and Asuna from Sword Art Online,
SpacemanHardy wrote:
[...]
And their so-called "romance" arc really made me want to vomit. Their whole lovey-dovey act was cheesier than a Taco Bell value menu. And don't even get me started on that annoying "daughter" of theirs. Mad
[...]

As you can see, I have a thing for people who type with razor blades with style! Cool Smile Very Happy Laughing
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Immediately characterized as a "strawman," but I loved it:
ikillchicken wrote:
Well, I for one am completely convinced that these ratings mean nothing. Much like Space Dandy's apparent popularity, they are simply inaccurate and meaningless. Let me tell you why:

-Firstly, at that time of night Space Dandy lacks competition. There's nothing else to even watch so of course people watch it. [I have internalized my entertainment due to a lack of an actual personality]

-And even if it did have competition, it's not like this is primetime anyway so it means nothing. It's just a big fish in a small pond. [I am also a profoundly insecure person]

-Besides, this show is just all hype anyway. [Consequently, I interpret the popularity of things I like/dislike as reflective of my worth as a human being]

-Nobody would even be paying any attention to it if not for its famous director and people who like it only do because its different. [Thus, my fragile psyche simply can't handle that anyone might genuinely like a thing I don't]

-And who cares anyway? Even if it did do okay in America it's going to fail in Japan and that's what really matters. [I've also massively internalized Japan as a surrogate culture because I don't fit in with my own]

-Anime ultimately succeeds because of the support of the real fans in Japan. [And am therefore reflexively against anything I perceive as more "American"]

-Really, I don't know why Japan should even bother making shows like Space Dandy that cater to other audiences. [Or really anything that doesn't cater to the tiny, insular niche of neurotic, emotionally stunted people I am a part of]

-Also, did I mention how much of a failure Flowers of Evil was? That has no real relevance here. I just still like to bring it up periodically to make sure nobody has forgotten. [So basically, the entire industry, without exception, must be geared toward me and only me or I get mad]

Anyway, I hope that clears up some of these misconceptions about Space Dandy's success. [I will talk about this at length and in every topic pertaining to this show and have been since it was announced]
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
From the most recent Shelf Life. I feel this sums up Ikki Tousen fairly well. Laughing

agila61 wrote:
I always thought the thing with Ikki Tousen was that, given the expense of requiring plastic surgery of all female students when accepted into high school, that particular city decided to cut down on other expenses by going with paper school uniforms.
guildmaster

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
From the most recent Shelf Life. I feel this sums up Ikki Tousen fairly well. Laughing

agila61 wrote:
I always thought the thing with Ikki Tousen was that, given the expense of requiring plastic surgery of all female students when accepted into high school, that particular city decided to cut down on other expenses by going with paper school uniforms.

I guess that explains why they shred at the slightest disturbance.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
jl07045's response to Akane the Catgirl's confusion about The End of Evangelion was excellent:

jl07045 wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
However, now that I'm done, all I can think is...what the ever-loving f**k did I just watch? I don't think I can ever judge or review this particular movie because I have no clue what to think of it in the first place.

Hi! You have now finished Neon Genesis Evangelion and are qualified to join the First-time watchers or "WTF did I just watch" club. The weird feeling in the chest will soon settle down and most likely lead you to two possible roads: 1) I have to find out what it all means; 2) Grrrrr. If you go down option 1 - kimochi warui, there are many interpretations on a number of things and you'll likely never get it straight. If yours is option 2 - omedetou, you've now seen that s..t and can get on with your life.

Laughing
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking for a good quote to revive this thread with.....

Surrender Artist wrote:
It's your birthday? Oh, of course... congratulations on being a year nearer to death!

I... uh... got you a pet rock! Just look around your garden, I'm sure you'll find it.

And I'm sure that it's one of those Chia Pets, too! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 100 of 105