• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kiki's Delivery Service BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As with Castle in the Sky, Disney's new Kiki's Delivery Service Blu-Ray retains the trimmed-down dub from the 2010 DVD release. It ditches the opening and closing English pop songs

I consider this rather unfortunate, even more so than trimming some of Phil Hartman's lines. There seems to be a predisposed hate to dub songs that don't imitate the original music, but the two songs provided by Sydney Forest were genuinely fun, catchy tunes that are rather addictive to listen to. It's only the smallest comfort that one can still find them on Youtube, although I wish they were released on a CD somewhere.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
This was my first Miyazaki movie, courtesy of my grandma. It was before I even knew what anime was or even heard of Miyazaki. I was in middle school at the time.

It's a very relaxing movie and ranks high up on my Ghibli movie list.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
One of the few anime documented with more than a million sales in America:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/impressions2.html#hs929

• 29). Houchi Sinbun

(The following is an unofficial English translation of the article. - Ryoko)

September 29, 1998

Suzuki, the president of Studio Ghibli, says "We take it from (the cost of 350 million yen) that they (Disney) are serious about this release." The interest in Ghibli films in the US is quite high. "Kiki's Delivery Service," which was released on September 1st in the US and Canada, has already sold 900,000 copies. It will surely sell more than 1.2 million copies before year end.

Another one is Cowboy Bebop:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070502025328/http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=565

• Bandai Entertainment Announces Over One Million Units of Cowboy Bebop

August 25, 2005 (Cypress, CA)

Bandai Entertainment announced today that home video sales for Shinichiro Watanabe's 'Cowboy Bebop' has sold more than a million units in North America since its original home video debut, again raising the bar for anime series released on DVD.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
MetalUpa1014 wrote:
...it baffles me to no end that "witchcraft" is still a controversy with things like this and Harry Potter.

Though I'm Protestant myself, I loved the way Catholic film critic Steven Greydanus opened his review of another Miyazaki film:

Quote:
"Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away is a work of pagan imagination. So are the works of Homer and Sophocles."

Every church I've ever been part of has a few out-of-touch old folks or hypersensitive mothers who just don't get that fantasy fiction isn't teaching children to sacrifice goats and worship Satan. (Every church I've ever been part of also has SF/fantasy/comic book fans as well, so go figure.) But in these few words, Greydanus acknowledged a likely objection, and positioned the film in context of works that might at least give a few of the complainers pause.

As for me, "Kiki" is neck-and-neck with "Porco Rosso" as my favorite Miyazaki film. Years ago, me and my girlfriend-at-the-time got together on a Saturday to show each other our favorite movies. She led with Woody Allen's "Annie Hall," saying it contained the only female character created by a male director who felt 100% authentic to her.

After that, I showed her "Kiki's Delivery Service" (subbed), and when it was over, she said there were two such female characters for her now.

Things didn't work out between us, but years later, I heard through a mutual friend that she was talking up "Kiki's Delivery Service" to anyone who'd listen, saying it was the best movie ever.

I considered it a moral victory Wink
Norbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those Ghibli movies that no matter what mood I'm in I'll watchi it and enjoy it. It's the same with Whisper of the Heart.

I never thought anyone could say a bad word about it, outside whether they liked the movie or not. However...

MetalUpa1014 wrote:
... "Hayao Mizazake." Further proof that these religious fundies don't even bother to do their own research. Everyone is entitled to their religious beliefs, but it baffles me to no end that "witchcraft" is still a controversy with things like this and Harry Potter. What, are we still living in the 1600s? It's fiction, it's pretend. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Kiki's Delivery Service. Sorry, but if you genuinely believe that this is going to harm children, you are nothing short of an imbecile.

Next time ask them if they let their kids watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, or even Bambi. Talking Animals = Satan!

... And that attitude annoys me. I don't lose any sleep over it, but..

TurnerJ wrote:

It seems like the reason why these changes were made was because there were purists who railed against the dub. Oh sure, it was successful and sold a million copies on video, but there still are detractors of Kiki's dub, mainly for Hartman's ad-libs. That's why they were removed. Why bother changing a dub just to appease the purists who wouldn't watch said dub to begin with? I just don't see the logic.

Best solution to these sorts of problems is to give everyone the option of choosing whichever dub/sub you prefer.

Greg Aubry wrote:

There's distortion in the English dialogue track, particularly when Kiki speaks loudly, that makes it unlistenable once you notice it's there. Fortunately the Japanese track sounds great, and the transfer is very nice.

I've noticed this sort of problem when I watch certain BR through by TV speakers, however when I put them through my amp the problem goes away.

As a side note, is Kiki the first "Ghibli" movie?
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
As a side note, is Kiki the first "Ghibli" movie?

Nope, Castle in the Sky in '86 takes that honour. Nausicaä is sort of a proto-Ghibli movie, it was made by all the same people. and everyone counts it as one, but technically it was made before the company was founded.

Kiki was one of the first I saw, and I really enjoyed it. Damn this Ghiblithon; it keeps making me want to rewatch them, but I do want to finish watching the ones I haven't yet seen first.

I think my favourites so far are, in no particular order, Laputa, Mononoke, Marnie and Grave of the Fireflies. Kiki is definitely right behind them.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the original dub for Kiki's Delivery Service, pop songs and all. The Japanese language version unfortunately feels a little too Japanese for my tastes and takes me out of the world immersion, maybe because the spoken mannerisms carry such a Japanese cultural quality to them. Phil Hartman was fantastic in the film, and Kirsten Dunst and Matthew Lawrence were memorable casting choices. It's a wonderful film that has a lot of personal meaning for me, and usually ranks among my favorite films of all time.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:13 am Reply with quote
It's been a long time since I've bothered to re-watch a Miyazaki film, but that doesn't at all take away from my particular fondness for Kiki's Delivery Service. Alongside Castle in the Sky, it has in fact probably been one of my most-watched Miyazaki films. Part of that might be because it's also among my mother's most favorite among Miyazaki's films, hah-- thanks to how its really, really cute, particularly Jiji. (Whose cuteness really didn't lessen with Phil Hartman's voice. But maaaaybe owning cats and having liked the Salem character a lot from Sabrina: The Teenage Witch also had to do with that, hah.) So the only negative is that it gets "a little too cute" in some scenes? It sounds like it's really a gosh darn masterpiece then! Very Happy

Too bad I'm not particularly incentivized to grab a hold of a BD version of any of these Miyazaki films that I already have on good-condition DVDs. With Princess Mononoke having what are largely dub-titles, Castle in the Sky not having that orchestral score I'm more familiar with, and now Kiki's Delivery Service not having the wholly intact dub that I'm familiar with… I don't think I'm in any rush to upgrade past my circa-2003 DVDs anytime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I don't think I'm in any rush to upgrade past my circa-2003 DVDs anytime soon.

Picture quality must literally not matter at all then because that old Mononoke DVD is one of the worst transfers I've seen for an animated film.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite Miyazaki films. To me he has a big divide in his films: on one side are the ones where I don't like anyone in the movie and as complex as the story and animation gets, they don't move me. And then there are the films that are just brimming with emotion. The latter are why I watch him, and this is one of those films.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am Reply with quote
Apropos of nothing, but the live-action version's hit the festival circuit. It's a pretty good film -- not wonderful, but pretty good, with decent performances and a script that's different enough from the anime to be worth making -- that's kinda spoiled by the decision to start with [what feels like] a fifteen-minute prologue about kiki's early life. Be a vastly better film if this had been shoved later in the runtime as flashback, probably in small packets. Maybe you could take the scene where kiki says, "this happened to me when i was younger" and, you know, show it? And tighten the reaction shots and so forth while you're at it.

But overall I definitely recommend it.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
As with Castle in the Sky, Disney's new Kiki's Delivery Service Blu-Ray retains the trimmed-down dub from the 2010 DVD release. It ditches the opening and closing English pop songs

I consider this rather unfortunate, even more so than trimming some of Phil Hartman's lines. There seems to be a predisposed hate to dub songs that don't imitate the original music, but the two songs provided by Sydney Forest were genuinely fun, catchy tunes that are rather addictive to listen to. It's only the smallest comfort that one can still find them on Youtube, although I wish they were released on a CD somewhere.

I just opened my Bluray copy and I literally stopped going "wait.. do I have the right track?" and then read the description here that it wasn't a mistake. I still have my old DVD and I miss the Sydney Forest songs. I also adored Phil Hartman's lines and miss him terribly. Kiki is in my top 5 of all time and was hoping the Pixar dub was preserved. It's a shame it wasn't. I am however very happy the picture looks good and the original Japanese was preserved. I just wish the English dub which I thought was phenomenal with all the background noise of the town made the town feel alive. It was just too muted in the original Japanese so when I heard the current English transfer I honestly was disappointed it wasn't there. Never thought I'd miss footsteps, car horns, wind, and just overall ambiance before watching this AFTER the Pixar dub. The only consolation is that if I feel like watching the original Pixar dub I still have my DVD copy. The Bluray is not a total loss as the extras were new to me and I enjoyed seeing all the background information and even that cheesy Sweden visit.

P.S. I reaaaaaaally miss Phil Hartman.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2