• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Princess Kaguya Earns US$501,888 After 8th Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
I hope the overall US profit can make up for the low BD sales in Japan.

EDIT: I'm going to withdraw this part of the statement.

Last edited by mdo7 on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
At this point, no way. $500k is just 1/100th of what it needs to break even on production alone.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad other people are seeing it and it's earning $$ at the Box Office. I just picked up my JP BD at the PO yesterday.

@mdo7
...So just curious how does one determine that 8,877 copies sold in the first week of its release amount to low sales? has it already been a week?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
At this point, no way. $500k is just 1/100th of what it needs to break even on production alone.

After doing some calculation, and re-analyzing the cost, I'm going to retract that statement.

lem wrote:

@mdo7
...So just curious how does one determine that 8,877 copies sold in the first week of its release amount to low sales? has it even been a week?

Because Studio Ghibli titles are supposed to be selling like hot cakes in Japan (like in 100,000 BDs), but seeing only 8,877 BD sold when it got release seem low by Ghibli release standard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...So just curious how does one determine that 8,877 copies sold in the first week of its release amount to low sales? has it already been a week?

With BDs and DVDs combined, it's like 17k sales. Typically sales don't go up as the weeks go by, so maybe it'll collect a few thousand more, but the revenue from those discs won't offset the original cost. This thing really needed the people to see it in theaters, Ghibli doesn't get the same kind of scratch with disc sales. As a scenario, you could even say it sold 100k copies at $70 each, which is only 7 million when the film needs a whole lot more.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm planning to go see Kaguya this weekend with some buddies up in Columbus, glad its doing ok for the limited release run it has. Also happy to see the Boston and L.A. Film Critics giving it their approval as well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it's about to beat Ghost in the Shell in rankings.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to watch this, is looks to be a really awesome movie...

But god how many times has that title image popped up, for some reason it's really disturbing to me.
It's like that's the one and only key-art for the entire production.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I happily contributed to those Bluray sales. So even if they were disappointing (and what hasn't been disappointing about this film in regard to profits?), Im glad to have supported the film. Its an injust world, and possibly the worst injustice of all is that masterpieces such as this always seem to get overlooked.

I watched this film for the for the first time last week when my copy came and never have I ever experienced such an emotional roller coaster of a film in my life. It was beautiful, it was sad, it was an experience unlike anything I'd ever seen before in my life. Takahata is a master of human emotions and I truly believe that this is his masterpiece. It may not have been financially successfull, and the production might have been absolute hell, but we have a wonderful film to show for it. Im extremely glad it got made, and even though it'd be sad, it would be the perfect film for Takahata to go out on.

EVERYONE, please go see this film as soon as you can! It's amazing!
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Poster at a cinema in Adelaide:

Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Nice. I like the other two variant posters more than the one all the distributors are using. They sum up the film better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1