• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Registration requirements need to be increased.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm sure everyone has seen the lovely spam spree today, but the increase lately in spam is not the only thing I'm talking about.

Its been a while since I've been on the back end of phpBB2, but I'm pretty sure there's a setting that requires a minimum number of posts before a user can create a new thread. I think this should get implemented.

Other than the spam, there are also a number of threads, usually in the anime forum, that either belong in the General Questions thread, or fall under speculation and are against the rules. Most of these posts are from new users. Having a minimum post number before new threads can be created would help with both of these problems.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
I concur. A more stringent system would definitely save me a lot of work in terms of newbie management and spam tracking/extermination.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I will agree with you 2 that stricter requirements are needed to create new topic, I am annoyed by the spam (the old get fake passport, and fake high quality counterfeit money thing), and also I'm worried that trolls may pop up and create inappropriate topic on ANN forum, it did happen in the past several times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
...Having a minimum post number before new threads can be created would help with both of these problems.

A most excellent idea.

Having someone that has to waste their time locking one dumb post threads is just sad. I'm sure they'd prefer to do something besides that???

Which brings up the next question... What will that magic number of posts be before one is let loose amongst the general population here? Very Happy
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
100 posts perhaps? since that's the magic number Tony will allow before placing a poster on the Wall of Shame for over-quoting, that seems like a proper benchmark
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
One-hundred is also a nice, round, easy-to-remember number. Plus it is big enough to ensure that newbies have some experience (before they create threads), while still being small enough to be reachable in a reasonable amount of time.

So yeah, I also think it is a good benchmark.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
One-hundred is also a nice, round, easy-to-remember number. Plus it is big enough to ensure that newbies have some experience (before they create threads), while still being small enough to be reachable in a reasonable amount of time.

So yeah, I also think it is a good benchmark.

I agreed, 100 posts should be suffice for a newbie to get familiar with the rule of the ANN forum, and to make sure they learn all the rule before they are mature and experience enough to create a new topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
It'll also stop noob recommendation and 1 shot question threads. I think this is a superb idea.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I think any number of prior posts would deter the spammers. As far as the new people are concerned, I think 100 is a bit high. Anyone who has made as many as 20 or 30 post has been around long enough to initiate a thread. I've noticed that most of the problem children seldom rise to as many as 10 posts. Basically for the health of the site we don't want to discourage anyone who sincerely wants to contribute.

Would this effect PMs as well? If it did it might get rid of our abusive PMer.

Also would it be possible to insist that people actually register with a name, no matter how absurd? Recently we have had a rash of people registering with a number (beginning in 8). Apparently that is the default if they don't pick a name. Most are spammers or trolls but a few are would be participants. The numbers don't read and it is hard to tell them apart. Maybe the system could just assign random names from anime shows but it would probably be easier to make the name a required field. I think it used to be since the number only titles are of recent origin.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've noticed that most of the problem children seldom rise to as many as 10 posts. Basically for the health of the site we don't want to discourage anyone who sincerely wants to contribute.

Would this effect PMs as well? If it did it might get rid of our abusive PMer.

Also would it be possible to insist that people actually register with a name, no matter how absurd? Recently we have had a rash of people registering with a number (beginning in 8). Apparently that is the default if they don't pick a name. Most are spammers or trolls but a few are would be participants. The numbers don't read and it is hard to tell them apart. Maybe the system could just assign random names from anime shows but it would probably be easier to make the name a required field. I think it used to be since the number only titles are of recent origin.

I share this same sentiment as Alan45, we have to do something about that serial rage PM spammer, putting that limitation requirements could probably make that person not return to ANN to spew out rage PMs spam. I agreed the using Facebook and Twitter registration is not a good idea. It'll attract trolls, anime haters, etc... on to this site and leave nasty messages on forum or PMs just because they use a number as their ANN ID, we don't want that type of people on the forum. So I would recommend removing the Facebook and Twitter registration.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I think any number of prior posts would deter the spammers. As far as the new people are concerned, I think 100 is a bit high.

I agree. 100 is too high.
Anybody who comes here just to spam will probably not make even 10 regular, legitimate posts

I think that needing 10 other posts before starting a thread would be enough to weed out the spammers.
Requiring more than 20 seems like too much to me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
I think any number of prior posts would deter the spammers. As far as the new people are concerned, I think 100 is a bit high.

I agree. 100 is too high.
Anybody who comes here just to spam will probably not make even 10 regular, legitimate posts

I think that needing 10 other posts before starting a thread would be enough to weed out the spammers.
Requiring more than 20 seems like too much to me.

A rage spammer can act as a casual anime fans posting small simple message, and when they reached 10 posts. Then they can just send out Rage PM spam. That's why I want 100 posts, it helped deter the rage spammer,

10 posts=any rage spammer can just act casual on ANN and after 10 posts, that's where they can send rage PM spam. 10 posts is just too easy, 100 posts will deter any rage spammers from sending abusive PMs.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe there is any way, short of installing mods, to limit one's ability to PM. It's not in the software by default, but I believe creating new threads is.

And I agree, 10-20 (maybe 15 in the middle) is a proper number of posts.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
OK 20 posts then, no more and no less.

the reason I don't want 10 posts minimum requirement is because a troll can just pretend to be a casual anime fan posting positive thing then after 10 posts requirement is met, then they can end up trolling and sending rage spam PMs.

20 posts would be acceptable, but I'm mixed because internet trolls can learn how to be patient. Everyday, internet trolls are somehow finding way to trolls regardless if the "don't feed the trolls" method work.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
ok man, we get it. trolls bad, make mdo sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4