• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Zoids New Century Smile
Zoids Chaotic Century Very Happy
Zoids Fuzors Mad

Fuzors really killed Zoids in America, it was not very good but also its because its timeslot was bad. It was doomed from the start. I think it played at like 9:00 PM(not Toonami BTW). If it was on a classic Toonami lineup where kids after school would watch Toonami then maybe there would at least be some chance it wouldn't be canceled.

Its a shame Zoids Genesis was never released. Its most similar to Chaotic Century which is not only my favorite Zoids by far but also in my top five favorite anime(no joke). Charming characters, adventure story, good comedy, intense action & fantastic music. I just find Chaotic Century immensely enjoyable.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that comes to my mind when I see, or hear that name is the time they made their brilliant decision to air the Tenchi Muyo OVA's by butchering the episodes to shyte to where they virtually made no sense, and digitally inserting bathing suits in the floating onsen scenes. That to me is the best, (and by best I mean the worst) f***ed up decision ever made by a channel's Acquisitions and Scheduling department that I've ever seen before and since, and I work in the biz to know. Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only thing that comes to my mind when I see, or hear that name is the time they made their brilliant decision to air the Tenchi Muyo OVA's by butchering the episodes to shyte to where they virtually made no sense, and digitally inserting bathing suits in the floating onsen scenes. That to me is the best, (and by best I mean the worst) f***ed up decision ever made by a channel's Acquisitions and Scheduling department that I've ever seen before and since, and I work in the biz to know.

Even so, for a programming block on a channel for kids that's supposed to be pure mindrot action, Tenchi was the most unique and "anime" thing they ever aired in the weekday slot. You'd have whole episodes of pure harem antics and slice of life, quite the departure from shows dedicated to powering up and villain of the week.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only thing that comes to my mind when I see, or hear that name is the time they made their brilliant decision to air the Tenchi Muyo OVA's by butchering the episodes to shyte to where they virtually made no sense, and digitally inserting bathing suits in the floating onsen scenes. That to me is the best, (and by best I mean the worst) f***ed up decision ever made by a channel's Acquisitions and Scheduling department that I've ever seen before and since, and I work in the biz to know. Laughing

For the record, there was really only one scene that affected anything, which was Washu figuring out the fake Ryoko. Washu discovers a mark on her while she's washing her, while in the dub, since the scene's been cut... kinda comes out of no where. Everything else was relatively intact, minus the Washu and Tenchi scene in Episode 7, which served no actual baring on the plot of the episode.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You do realize in the interim years they were still playing anime on Saturday nights, right? It's almost as if this collective amnesia has descended and everyone forgets that Adult Swim never stopped playing anime. It's like anime can't exist without some stupid name like Toonami.

You do realize I know that? There were some things on Toonami that weren't on Adult Swim that I still wanted to see. Sheesh, no need to get hostile.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people like the Gash Bell dub, so I'm probably in the minority since I didn't. Seriously, why pick Jimmy Neutron for Gash's voice?
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I really loved Android Kikaider and its 'mad machine' pathos. I think that show ran on Toonami and then got a rebroadcast on adult swim, but don't crucify me if I got that wrong (Odd number of years have passed and I'm old and forgetful). I also loved G Gundam, and I can remember feverishly hunting for the uncensored version online. The fact that they had to add-animate a black bra onto Rain in the final episode for the English release still remains absolutely hilarious.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
A lot of people like the Gash Bell dub, so I'm probably in the minority since I didn't. Seriously, why pick Jimmy Neutron for Gash's voice?

Because she fit him pretty well? She does little boy voices quite well.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
You do realize I know that? There were some things on Toonami that weren't on Adult Swim that I still wanted to see. Sheesh, no need to get hostile.

Because posts like yours never acknowledge that the continuing anime block was still going, and it was also adding newer shows. But none of that matters until the arbitrary Toonami label is slapped onto it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, please. *puts on a trilby*

I was a fan of "Ronin Warriors" before they were on your little "Toonami" block, broham. I was watching that noise in syndication. 'Course, I also have the DVD boxset, man, and I only watch the Samurai Troopers sides of the disc. I even watched those OVAs, including all of Message long before they were licensed, and even heard some of the audio dramas.

Psh, but you probably never even heard of those, mannnnn. Cool

But seriously, YST was pretty awesome and I do, in fact, own the Bandai set. It's amazing how little they edited to make RW, but then again, it's a fairly bloodless show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Because posts like yours never acknowledge that the continuing anime block was still going, and it was also adding newer shows. But none of that matters until the arbitrary Toonami label is slapped onto it.

Toonami was how most people got into anime in the late 90s. It's just a marking point.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:

Because she fit him pretty well? She does little boy voices quite well.

Eh, I guess. But I still don't like the dub. I'm no purist, but that's just my preference.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Universe was a good fit for Toonami. The OVAs? Not so much since they rarely fit into a 30-minute timeslot without some editing for time (and calling voice actors back in to redub some of their lines). Episode 13 was so long, they had to stick it in a 45-minute slot and run a Powerpuff Girls episode in the remaining 15 minutes (they could've run the eprilogue omake, but I doubt a picture drama would fly on Cartoon Network). Universe was an actual TV series with far less objectionable content (Toonami censored very little). Also, it had more action while still remaining true to the OVAs' slice-of-life elements.

I always wish Slayers, Ranma 1/2, and Knights of the Zodiac would've run on Toonami. I think they all would've been successful. Ranma would've required some editing, but if Toonami can run Tenchi, they can run Ranma... KotZ did run on Cartoon Network, but in a horrible timeslot on Saturday nights at the wrong time with little fanfare and a terrible dub. If it ran on Toonami in 1999-2001, it would've had a better chance for success... Toonami was interested in Slayers, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Vision of Escaflowne, but Fox Kids picked them all up and Enoki Films started production on an edited version of the Slayers dub, but only Escaflowne was briefly run (in a horribly butchered dub) before it was canceled. Some think Fox Kids just picked those shows up so Toonami wouldn't get them.

But I adore Toonami for running DBZ, Sailor Moon, Tenchi, Gundam Wing, YYH, and Cyborg 009. I'm not sure I would've seen any of them were it not for Toonami running them.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I completely forgot about Ronin Warriors. Guess it's because I never got into it.

Quote:
I look back at IGPX, and to me the biggest problem is obvious: the pilot micro-series, a slick, kinetic ride about robot pilots battling it out, is a little too different from the TV series, a slightly more meditative show about the people who pilot racing robots that also happen to be equipped for combat.

I agree, the pilot series made me really hyped for more of the same with the full length series, but what we got wasn't close. The series wasn't bad, but when you're expecting one thing and you get another, it would have had to have been amazing to over come that difference in expectations.

Great article, I'd love to read more covering other shows, even if they weren't anime.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:

They do? Everywhere I remember people trashed the dub for all the censoring and editing it got. It was also fairly unpopular and the entire series wasn't dubbed if I am remembering correctly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8