• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Only Toonami?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
A lot of people like the Gash Bell dub, so I'm probably in the minority since I didn't. Seriously, why pick Jimmy Neutron for Gash's voice?

They do? Everywhere I remember people trashed the dub for all the censoring and editing it got. It was also fairly unpopular and the entire series wasn't dubbed if I am remembering correctly.

Well, I'd have to agree with those people then since I REALLY didn't like the dub.
Raneth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Zoids Chaotic Century when I was in high school. It made me so happy to see it mentioned here. I wish there were DVDs of the series in print.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Loved reading the article! I too would love to see one about the anime shows that Adult Swim aired.
Ronin Warriors was one of the shows I never got around to watch at the time it was on Toonami, and I have a soft spot for IGPX, even with its flaws (also didn't quite like one part of that show's ending).

gloverrandal wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
A lot of people like the Gash Bell dub, so I'm probably in the minority since I didn't. Seriously, why pick Jimmy Neutron for Gash's voice?

They do? Everywhere I remember people trashed the dub for all the censoring and editing it got. It was also fairly unpopular and the entire series wasn't dubbed if I am remembering correctly.
IIRC, only the first 104 episodes were dubbed, and I wanna say the US release of the manga was cancelled too (it did finish in Japan).
I didn't mind the dub, although I couldn't "un-see" Jimmy Neutron when Gash/Zatch talked.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but to me IGPX failure to make an impression is the definitive moment when the western anime market started to deflate.

I actually had never thought about it this way. That deflation period is something I usually forget about. I wouldn't be surprised if the disinterest in anime and the declining ratings of Toonami played a major part in its reception.

I think IGPX is a hidden gem that deserves so much more. Many aspects of the show were top notch. I'm hoping its popularity grows substantially with its re-release from Discotek.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
issue with IGPX is it's boring main cast, takeshi is only slightly better than a generic harem MC, amy is boring and everyone wants to pamper her but give takeshi tons of sh1t for any reason especially liz, liz is the most interesting of the three but she could lose some of that b*****yness. No good mentioned reason for the way Satomi treated River but favored takebore, didn't have enough Blum and Lang or that tan girl voiced by Mela Lee.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Making fun of card game shows is much better than trying to tolerate them straight.

Considering how the Duel Master's dub died a slow painful death while the original Japanese version is still going strong to this day and a multi-million dollar franchise, you'd be in the minority audience with that thinking.

Duel Masters was one of the most idiotic dubs I've ever seen. It's one thing to have a bad dub, which pretty much every kids show gets in America, but it's another to have your dub actually insult and make fun of the product it was trying to sell to kids. Why on earth would anyone buy your product if you make it look stupid? Why were they surprised when the franchise failed? Who thought this was a good idea, and did they get fired as a result?

Jokes on you and your revisionist history. Dual Masters did really well with the gag dub, well enough that it was able to get a second season animated just for Cartoon Network. It wasn't until they went with the more faithful Dual Master 2.0 (DM Charge) that the series tanked and was canceled before it could be finished. The gag dub didn't kill the franchise over here, it's what let it standout among all of the other card/monster/robot battle shows coming out at the same time. It was going back to its Japanese roots that killed it over here, if they had done it that way from the start it probably never would have taken off.

Moving on, I'm one of those that was very disappointed that IGPX went from a robot FPS death match to a race. They focused way too much on the common race use of "grand prix" in IGPX. The "immortal" in IGPX makes more sense in a fight than a race. The fighting in IGPX is more like "offensive defense" since the goal is to defeat your opponent by racing, not through battle. It's like a robot version of Wacky Races. I like IGPX as a character driven series, but man, I really wanted to see them duke it out strategically on a map rather than zip around a race track.

Fun-fact: Zoids Fuzors borrows its name from the Hasbro Transformers Beast Wars sub-line of the same name. The Zoids Fuzors anime and toy line got a head start over the Japanese run and Hasbro was releasing the models for the stuff on Toonami rather than Tomy in North America so they took the opportunity to reuse it and thus refresh their rights to it. Tomy kept the name partly because they had a good relationship with Hasbro, but also because they were working on a merger with Takara at the time who also had the rights to the word Fuzors from their own Beast Wars release.

Also I blame S-Cry-ed for me not being able to way the word hammer without wanting to yell it like a lunatic.

Emerje

Last edited by Emerje on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sprocket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Toonami enthralled me right from the start in 1997 with its fantastic sense of style, Tommy Guererro's smooth techno, well crafted music videos, pep talks, video game reviews, and fantastic programming choices.

Surprised Mike didn't also mention two of Reactor's first shows: the Record of Lodoss Wars and Patlabor TV series'.

If I had to pick an anime I'd want back, it'd probably be Cyborg 009. Let's see the rest of the English Dub already!
thenix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only person who didn't like S-Cry_ed. I know a bunch of people who loved it although knowing them they like very straight forward action anime. Not that there is anything wrong with that but my taste is usually for a more intricate plot and interesting characters.

With toonami jetstream I thought this was the most awesome thing except when I tried to watch stuff it was really jumpy. Since it streamed I couldn't pause and wait for it to load more I could just sit there and have it pause every 3 seconds to load more. My internet access at the time wasn't bad either so I figured there was just too many people accessing it. The thing though is it never got better. Did anyone else have this problem?
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
To this day, Yu Yu Hakusho is and will always be my favorite anime that ran on Toonami. It sucked that switched the time slot to early mornings towards the end of the Chapter Black arc and the last arc of the series.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sprocket wrote:
Toonami enthralled me right from the start in 1997 with its fantastic sense of style, Tommy Guererro's smooth techno, well crafted music videos, pep talks, video game reviews, and fantastic programming choices.

Surprised Mike didn't also mention two of Reactor's first shows: the Record of Lodoss Wars and Patlabor TV series'.

If I had to pick an anime I'd want back, it'd probably be Cyborg 009. Let's see the rest of the English Dub already!

The series was dubbed in its entirety but you'd be resorting to pirating sites to see it all.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think it suffered the same fate as Sym-Bionic Titan (which has also been written off, alongside Thundercats (2011)): It was a good show, got decent numbers, but it was far too expensive to make, and without a toy line, it can't support itself.

Time Warner may have given up on Megas XLR but you don't have to: Shows that are cult hits like these tend to get picked up by small home video distribution companies like Shout! Factory several years down the line. Don't count on the series continuing though, at least not in the form of a reboot (also a very nice show) or a remake, but that's a hard sell to executives.

FYI, the 2011 ThunderCats wasn't written off. TC a Warner IP, so CN simply let their license expire after a few years. Warner still retains full rights to it, and in fact just put it out on Blu-ray recently.

The problem with Megas is that there's nowhere a company like Shout! can even get the rights from. When it was written off, CN forfeited all rights to the series in the US, with the exception apparently being digital downloads, as the series is available on iTunes and Xbox Live for some reason. The creators have attempted negotiations with CN several times over the years to acquire the series, or at least work with CN/Warner on a DVD release, to no avail.

Usagi-kun wrote:
I really loved Android Kikaider and its 'mad machine' pathos. I think that show ran on Toonami and then got a rebroadcast on adult swim, but don't crucify me if I got that wrong (Odd number of years have passed and I'm old and forgetful).

Don't worry, I won't crucify you! But you did get it wrong Wink

Kikaider was AS-exclusive.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Duel Masters was one of the most idiotic dubs I've ever seen. It's one thing to have a bad dub, which pretty much every kids show gets in America, but it's another to have your dub actually insult and make fun of the product it was trying to sell to kids. Why on earth would anyone buy your product if you make it look stupid? Why were they surprised when the franchise failed? Who thought this was a good idea, and did they get fired as a result?

It depends on if you're talking about Wizards of the Coast or Tomy. Duel Masters was intended to promote Magic: The Gathering, but when the deal fell through, the manga author hired by Wizards to do it made up his own card game similar to Magic but didn't have a real-life counterpart--it was simply a shameless Yu-Gi-Oh! ripoff without the merchandise. Later, Tomy came in and made the actual cards.

I don't know what phase the franchise was in when the Plastic Cow dub got started though. Either way, Wizards no longer cared what they did with the anime because the attempt to sell Magic: The Gathering though an anime had failed.

FireballDragon wrote:

Candi Milo was in an anime? Wow, that's weirder than hearing Tom Kenny on IGPX or Rob Paulsen in Metal Gear Solid 3.

Sprocket wrote:

Cyborg 009, I feel, is the one show on Toonami that got the least amount of respect relative to its quality. The dub actually got incredibly far, making it to at least that arc about the Greek pantheon, but most of the post Black Ghost stuff aired on Saturday mornings at 5 AM, the ultimate death slot.

Now the manga, I started collecting that towards the tail end of Tokyopop's existence, and I had a hard time finding Volume 3. I'd likely have more luck online now, but even at conventions, I can't find Cyborg 009 anything (not counting recent spinoffs).

If Osamu Tezuka gets no love in the west, he at least got Astro Boy. Shotaro Ishinomori got nothing. Nothing. Kikaider was neat, and Cyborg 009 was the Watchmen of manga, taking a team of superheroes and dismantling their thoughts and feelings in a Cold War setting.

doubleO7 wrote:
FYI, the 2011 ThunderCats wasn't written off. TC a Warner IP, so CN simply let their license expire after a few years. Warner still retains full rights to it, and in fact just put it out on Blu-ray recently.

Oh, sweet, I thought it was written off. I kept hearing it in the same conversations as Megas XLR and Sym-Bionic Titan being written off, and it got removed from the current Toonami block at the exact same time as Sym-Bionic, so I though it was written off too.

So when Megas got written off, that means that Time Warner will now just sit on it, and no one will be allowed to do anything with it until Time Wanrer puts it out of dormancy?

I know that the creators of Megas care about their show very much, and I quite liked it, so it seems kind of frustrating that this sort of legal action can even exist.
wolfox10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:50 am Reply with quote
Great article, brought a lot of memories jajaja! Still it would be good to have some of that old toonami back
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, memory lane!
I remember watching Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing, G-Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam, Dragonball/Z, Yu Yu Hakusho and all the other ones that aireds when I used to get home from school.
As for IGPX, I enjoyed it, but my brother hated it. He really liked the micro-series and was dissapointed that the full series deviated so much from the micro.
Wow, those were the days...nowadays I hardly watch anime, I've stuck to reading manga only.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
That was a great read, thanks for the article!

KH91 wrote:
As a witness and watcher of all these events, this hit me right in the feels.

Same here. Man I love Toonami (new and old) and remember all of these shows. Smile

ChibiGoku wrote:
Quote:
The final follow-up, 2005's Zoids Genesis, was only shown on Toonami Jetstream.

This actually never happened. The plan was to distribute it on Toonami Jetstream, but it actually never happened. I heard the series was dubbed in it's entirety, but I heard supposed reports of it airing in some Asian markets. No rips ever surfaced, so it's anyone's guess who was all in that dub.

Such a shame, I also remember searching the web for dub rips of it a long time ago and would totally buy if one of the companies were able to rescue it with the created dub.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sprocket wrote:

Cyborg 009, I feel, is the one show on Toonami that got the least amount of respect relative to its quality. The dub actually got incredibly far, making it to at least that arc about the Greek pantheon, but most of the post Black Ghost stuff aired on Saturday mornings at 5 AM, the ultimate death slot.

I'm really glad it got so far too, I loved that dub cast.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8