• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Gets New Japanese Blu-ray, DVD Boxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope they don't zap away all the grain, Sunrise has ruined so many of their own BDs for other iconic anime by doing that. I'm more excited about End of Eva, for the 35mm possibilities.

I would guess they'll return to the materials used for the Platinum released. At that point I would hope as you do that they don't scrub away the grain and mindlessly boost the saturation. I know Starchild-related properties have had shoddy HD releases in the past, but this should be different.

All I want is a proper HD release with accurate subtitles (ADV's on the Platinum release are fine). The End of Evangelion should look really, really good.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Anyway, Platinum was pretty much perfect in terms of translation, but I'd want them to somehow fix Mangle's screwups (Lilith/Adam mistake, mistranslations or forgetting important dialogue by Asuka and Shinji).

Not familiar with that last one. What are you referring to?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
scriver058 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Tiffany Grant's Asuka is the most unsubtle performance I've heard since Brian Blessed in Flash Gordon.

Wait, what part of Asuka was supposed to be subtle? LOL oh boy. The Eva dub is one of the better dubs to ever be made, but I totally expected it to be talked about here in ridiculous terms such as above. Bought the platinum collection around the time it came out and I still own it, it's still pretty decent audio and video wise so I'm in no rush to upgrade.

Believe it or not, Asuka has her subtleties. It's what makes her an actual character instead of a colorful action figure, like Mari in the Rebuild movies. Insecurities, foibles, and sensitivity. Things that Tiffany Grant couldn't express with her if she lived to be 100. Grant doesn't do textured performances in any role I've ever heard her in, most especially Asuka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Dub haters jump at every chance they get to bitch about dubs. So sorry that VA's do not live up to Anthony Quinn's amazing standards, but we gotta make do. Not that dub-haters would know good acting when they hear it. like they claim.

There's also that double standard that they might not necessarily complain about a bad sub performance as often.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Grant doesn't do textured performances in any role I've ever heard her in, most especially Asuka.

What about as Altena in Noir?
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
Dub haters jump at every chance they get to bitch about dubs. So sorry that VA's do not live up to Anthony Quinn's amazing standards, but we gotta make do. Not that dub-haters would know good acting when they hear it. like they claim.

There's also that double standard that they might not necessarily complain about a bad sub performance as often.

There's also that other factor where they don't speak Japanese themselves and therefore don't know things like how Japanese emote and what tones they use. Therefore, they often can't differentiate between good and bad Japanese voice acting. That often resulting in the bs argument that "all Japanese versions are perfect and superior in every way to any English language dub".
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
PenguinTruth wrote:

Believe it or not, Asuka has her subtleties. It's what makes her an actual character instead of a colorful action figure, like Mari in the Rebuild movies. Insecurities, foibles, and sensitivity. Things that Tiffany Grant couldn't express with her if she lived to be 100. Grant doesn't do textured performances in any role I've ever heard her in, most especially Asuka.

We all don't know that when watching the show in its english dub how? You don't even have to watch Anime Abbandon's review on the movies to figure it out. It's all there. Tiffany Grant's performance reflects her role just fine, same with the japanese role given the english fits my prefference. They both act as an outgoing character that gives loud expression and spunky outlook and actions to not only hide there inner subtle sides, but to push people away too. We learn that subtle side quite throughout the show with tiny peices at a time. In episode 9-12, 16, 19, Even in the non platnium episode 22, its explained/displayed as such.

And Tiffany Grant performs well. Unless you judge on that kiss scene with Shinji from episode 15? Good god, I was too. Yet even in the japanese dub there was different room of interpretation. But with episode 22, it can fit with Tiffany Grant's performance as a means of a facade to once again hide her feelings. Plus it can cause a reverse on the audience thought of that scene, to change it from being a funny moment in there eyes. To a moment where they are sad inside from laughing at that. To make a faster dive into the final halfs deppresion pit.

So I guess that means I only have 2 things to dislike on the dub then given my applause for it. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Deleted several posts for over-quoting.

Don't want your posts deleted?

Then don't over-quote.

Look at this post to see if you've made the The Wall of Shame.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Asuka is probably Grant's best performance, which isn't saying much, she's an automatic dub-killer for everything else she's in. "But she sprachens ze Deutsche!" For what, all of the 2 maybe 3 lines in the entire show, including turning Chance into Wunderbar? That's the lamest positive I've ever seen tossed her way.
LaSean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:

Most likely not going to happen, since Funimation still uses a good chunk of the original cast for the rebuild movies. Assuming that Funimation picks this up at some point (which apparently won't happen until after 4.44 is released) we will more than likely be getting the original dub, since a lot of people still like that dub either for nostalgia or just for how entertainingly bad it is (I'd fall into this category). Either that or they will redub it with the current rebuild cast. The actors will be more experienced, but either way you're still getting Spike Spencer as Shinji.
I'm fairly new to Eva and I'm totally fine with the returning cast, I don't hate them like the older Eva fans do. I not a dub hater, I mostly watch dubs. My problem isn't so much with the main cast, it's the other characters. My first experience with Eva being rebuild it's tough going back to watch something dubbed in the 90's.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
If they were to do an Eva redub, it'd be cool if they could get all the cast back (excluding those that were in the background scenes).
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
Hopeful we get it here with new English dub cause old one is terrible.

The old one was quite good, in my opinion.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
LaSean wrote:
Kurama4Ever! wrote:

Most likely not going to happen, since Funimation still uses a good chunk of the original cast for the rebuild movies. Assuming that Funimation picks this up at some point (which apparently won't happen until after 4.44 is released) we will more than likely be getting the original dub, since a lot of people still like that dub either for nostalgia or just for how entertainingly bad it is (I'd fall into this category). Either that or they will redub it with the current rebuild cast. The actors will be more experienced, but either way you're still getting Spike Spencer as Shinji.
I'm fairly new to Eva and I'm totally fine with the returning cast, I don't hate them like the older Eva fans do. I not a dub hater, I mostly watch dubs. My problem isn't so much with the main cast, it's the other characters. My first experience with Eva being rebuild it's tough going back to watch something dubbed in the 90's.

Do most fans of the original series really hate the new dub? First I'm hearing about it. Personally I don't mind either one. Yeah the original dub is pretty bad by today's standards but dubbing was a new thing back then and studios/VA's didn't know nearly as much as they do now. And honestly the new dub doesn't produce all fantastic performances either. I truly feel sad for Kensuke. He's been voiced by 2 of the worst VAs I've ever heard (and I say this knowing Greg Ayres' fanbase).

It really just wouldn't make sense for Funimation to redub it. Its not like the original version was edited like One Piece. Considering the original dub already has such a fan base it would be a big expense for nothing. All that Funi would most likely do is redub the original movies, since those were slightly censored and contained several scenes of the characters mispronouncing "eva". Guess we can blame Manga Ent on the issues there.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
This is exciting news since I've been waiting to re-watch/own Eva in HD on Blu Ray for a long time now. If it has english subtitles I have no problem importing it no matter the price.

Can't wait for all the constant whiners to chime when they announce the price if it has the old English Dub and or English Subtitles expect it to be a bare minimum of 400 US dollars hell I'm going to go on a limb and say it could go as high as 600 bucks or more.

Luckily I still have my Platinum Release singles with box to hold me over, and maybe finally I can retire me super VHS copy of End of Eva fansub that uses the Laser Disc release instead of that god awful Manga Ent DVD that looked like shit.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen Eva 1.11 and 2.22, and I enjoy what I've seen. Misato is by far my favorite character, and Allison Keith-Shipp does an amazing job doing her voice. Shinji's a lucky bastard to be living with her. Cool

I'm surprised this is coming out so early. I thought they were waiting for 4.44 to come out.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm surprised this is coming out so early. I thought they were waiting for 4.44 to come out.

My guess is that sales of the Evangelion TV/EoE Blu-ray set will help bankroll the fourth Rebuild movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6