• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Patlabor's 10th Episode Footage Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, was that a completely CGI Tank/Vehicle or a full size prop? that was amazing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Wow, was that a completely CGI Tank/Vehicle or a full size prop? that was amazing.

Judging from the YT video, it's definitely CGI and it looks flawless, it looks like this is the only time a Japanese film got the CG done correctly. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
You think we will get an english release? I can't even find a torrent save episode 00.

Really want to see this, love some Patlabor!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
You think we will get an english release? I can't even find a torrent save episode 00.

That's my beef with Japanese film industry, they're not taking the international market seriously. Zac has said this on another thread:

Zac wrote:
There are a few trend stories out there right now about how Japanese films aren't marketable outside of Japan and how, aside from Ghibli output, they perform poorly in international film festivals. It's considered a handicap and something they need to fix if they want the kind of box office and prestige that comes from having internationally marketable product, but I'm not at all sure how the industry itself there is approaching that or if they even care.

Even on Dramafever, where they have catalog of films from South Korea and China/Hong Kong. There's no Japanese film (not counting J-dramas) on their catalog at all. Even on Hulu, the only Japanese films they have old classics one, they don't have a lot of recent Japanese films that came out between 2011-2013.

I remember a few years ago Funimation used to pick up a lot of Japanese films, but they stopped picking up. They may have picked up Space Battleship Yamato, but they haven't picked up other Japanese films that came out not long ago in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I desperately want this live-action Patlabor to get a domestic release. But I'm not holding my breath. Nobody's even fansubbing it, though, which is a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I desperately want this live-action Patlabor to get a domestic release. But I'm not holding my breath. Nobody's even fansubbing it, though, which is a shame.

I've been keeping my fingers crossed for an official release from HK that happens to include English subtitles. I've picked up four or five Japanese live-action films via HK (Thermae Romae, Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Bunny Drop, ... . Hmm. I'd forgotten that the other two were English-subtitled Japanese releases. ^^; ).
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Lowlife187 wrote:

That's my beef with Japanese film industry, they're not taking the international market seriously. Zac has said this on another thread:

Zac wrote:
There are a few trend stories out there right now about how Japanese films aren't marketable outside of Japan and how, aside from Ghibli output, they perform poorly in international film festivals. It's considered a handicap and something they need to fix if they want the kind of box office and prestige that comes from having internationally marketable product, but I'm not at all sure how the industry itself there is approaching that or if they even care.

Even on Dramafever, where they have catalog of films from South Korea and China/Hong Kong. There's no Japanese film (not counting J-dramas) on their catalog at all. Even on Hulu, the only Japanese films they have old classics one, they don't have a lot of recent Japanese films that came out between 2011-2013.

I remember a few years ago Funimation used to pick up a lot of Japanese films, but they stopped picking up. They may have picked up Space Battleship Yamato, but they haven't picked up other Japanese films that came out not long ago in Japan.

I agree, I have seen a lot of Korean and Chinese live action be marketed here, but most of the Japanese movies get "the American treatment" and redone into subpar movies. The Grudge and the Ring were way better in Japanese than the remakes. Also the The Departed was better(that might be Chinese)

As a whole Japanese live action and anime need to think about foreign viewers. A streaming or VOD would be the best option to reduce the cost of DVDs or Bluray discs.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Lowlife187 wrote:

I agree, I have seen a lot of Korean and Chinese live action be marketed here, but most of the Japanese movies get "the American treatment" and redone into subpar movies. The Grudge and the Ring were way better in Japanese than the remakes. Also the The Departed was better(that might be Chinese)

As a whole Japanese live action and anime need to think about foreign viewers. A streaming or VOD would be the best option to reduce the cost of DVDs or Bluray discs.

Well as I said, that's the problem with the Japanese film industry, they're not taking the international market seriously when other Asian films (Korean and Chinese) are getting more release in US and worldwide. The live-action Thermae Romae which came out in 2012 and No US distributor has ever gotten the DVD/blu-ray release for that film, not even Dramafever or Hulu has that film for people in US to watch.

So I'm afraid the live-action Partlabor may not get a DVD/blu-ray (or not even appear on Dramafever, Crunchyroll, or Hulu at all) release in the US.

Off topic but I'll say this for the record: I like the Departed better then the original Hong Kong film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1