• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - We Come to The End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well Zac, I hope it'll make up for the lost of the 2 columns.

I can only hope to live up to your standards MDO7.

Rebecca will of course continue as our senior manga critic.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, not RTO too! Fare thee well then...
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well Zac, I hope it'll make up for the lost of the 2 columns.

I can only hope to live up to your standards MDO7.

Hey, I trust you Zac. I know you won't let me down. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
So sad to see RTO ending (holds lighter up)...
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
old_yoshi wrote:
So sad to see RTO ending (holds lighter up)...

*Stands next to with own lighter*

This is a shame as, like many others I have discovered some gems through RTO. Luckily there is an archive to read back over and hopefully find some cracking titles I've missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Really sad to say goodbye to the comm, it's been one of those few constants in my life since way back.

I hope there's more ANNcasts about 'what manga are you reading now' - I really enjoy those.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Aw man! I really liked RTO!

I think I will pick up Whispered Words. Yuri's not my thing, but I reeeeally liked Girlfriends, and this seems similar to it. Also, have I been living under a rock? Never heard of Afterschool Charisma, but it sounds right up my alley!

And my to-buy list grows longer and longer as the holidays approach. Anime hyper
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Afterschool Charisma. It's good but it's been hard keeping up with the story especially since it seems like such a long time passes between volumes. It's hard to remember what's going on; a story synopsis beforehand would help a lot. Also, wasn't this one of the series affected by the recent Amazon/publisher dispute? That was resolved recently, right?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that "Right Turn Only!!" is ending. It was a delightful column and I hope it returns with someone else doing it. I'd appreciate a lot. I hope that's done.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Also, wasn't this one of the series affected by the recent Amazon/publisher dispute? That was resolved recently, right?

Afterschool Charisma is Viz so it wasn't affected by the dispute. I believe only titles by Yen were.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Aww you never got to use your own header image (I do like angry Ichigo though).

Thanks for continuing the column, it was my favourite on ANN. It got me to read reviews of manga I otherwise wouldn't have bothered to read a review for.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Aw, didn't realize that this was coming to an end! Was there really not a sustainable enough readership to keep it going, or was there there no niche for it to comfortably fill, or was it too exhaustive….? Some combination of the above, and/or more? It's a bit of a bummer!

For someone as impatient and spoiler-fearful as I am, especially when it comes to manga (which I follow less than anime), it's been really helpful to have these mini-critiques of a few different manga each week. I think it might've been partially through RTO that I was inspired to look into A Bride's Story, which I've happily but extra-patiently been collecting now. Other gems of manga have caught my eye because of Right Turn Only!! for sure. Will there not be a return of any sort of column that explores as many manga like this, maybe under new authorship? I guess plans are somewhat tentative now, but I really do hope for some RTO-like column in the not-so-distant future...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:36 am Reply with quote
I'm sad to see this column end. I hardly ever reply, but I've gotten many recommendations from this column. I'll definitely buy Whispered Words and Afterschool Charisma sounds pretty interesting so I'll probably check that one out as well.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:41 am Reply with quote
Count me as another who's sad to see the column go. I hope it's replaced by more than just manga reviews as I really like the little sections like the untranslated gems or the return to old series. I've picked up so many great series I wouldn't have done otherwise from reading this column. I wish Viz would release the Cornered Mouse and the Carp on the Chopping Block. (Hint Hint, Sublime) I read them scanned years ago after I read After School Nightmare in print and I'd love to own them as my own.
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'll chime in, too, to say thanks for all the great RTO content over the years. RTO was actually the reason I started visiting this site regularly. As a brand-new teen librarian, I had no idea what manga was, so I read the columns to get a broader view of what was coming out than what I could find on my shelf. 7 years later, I own probably close to 300 volumes myself, in addition to the nearly 1200 at my library, but I still read the columns to see if there's something great I should be considering. I look forward to what's next, but this and Anime News Nina are the 2 things about this site that I'll miss most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3