• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump+, Animax Offer Anime Scenario Writing Award

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
Well that sounds interesting. Hoping to see some creative ideas coming from this :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure this is Japanese only, right?

I hope the contestants will make something fresh, new and creative. Good luck contestants~
Octavio98922459

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
I assume it's only in JP if there were entries from anywhere I'd jump right in there see how I hold up. The person who wins is gunna have some serious doors open up for him/her though.
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote
Octavio98922459 wrote:
I assume it's only in JP if there were entries from anywhere I'd jump right in there see how I hold up. The person who wins is gunna have some serious doors open up for him/her though.

I would too. Imagine they accepted English entries? That would be amazing! But yeah...not in this lifetime, unfortunately.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Pretty sure this is Japanese only, right?

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Plus, the winning proposal will also be adapted into a manga in Shonen Jump+, the digital manga service run by the Weekly Shonen Jump editors. Animax also plans to televise an anime adaptation.

The theme of the contest is "your original scenario in the image of Shonen Jump." The contest is accepting unpublished entries that could be made into an anime 30 to 40 minutes in estimated length.

Those are very sweet rewards
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Those rewards are definitely tempting, and as someone currently in Tokyo, I'm interested to check this out.

But the deadline is 31st March 2015, hmm... My command of Japanese is currently around N2 level and I'm not too confident whether I can reach N1 within these few months time, given that there is quite a big level gap between those two.

Going to think this over and should I decide to write something eventually, would probably first write it entirely in English before translating to Japanese (comparing to writing original stuff in Japanese, I'm more comfortable with translations and things like that), changing a few lines here and there to make way for a few Japanese puns and references.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
There's nothing stopping anyone from writing their own professional anime scenario, and hiring a professional Japanese translator to do the translation work. That's if you feel that good about your writing skills and your world building, to put forth the money for the effort.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MasterGhost wrote:
Those rewards are definitely tempting, and as someone currently in Tokyo, I'm interested to check this out.

But the deadline is 31st March 2015, hmm... My command of Japanese is currently around N2 level and I'm not too confident whether I can reach N1 within these few months time, given that there is quite a big level gap between those two.

Going to think this over and should I decide to write something eventually, would probably first write it entirely in English before translating to Japanese (comparing to writing original stuff in Japanese, I'm more comfortable with translations and things like that), changing a few lines here and there to make way for a few Japanese puns and references.

Gambatte! Have fun with it, too! Even if you don't win, it's a great creative endevour and it would be an achievement in and of itself for a native English speaker to enter.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
This is the type of thing many anime fans would like to be part. As it it likely Japanese only, good luck to those that enter and an even bigger good luck to to the winner.

Were I in this scenario, it would be a harem where the set up involves each of the girls being spirits of the Nihon Ken and Tosa dogs.

The lead girl is the Akita and the lead guy is her childhood friend, an American expat in Japan. He is focused on her. It would the type of harem where both characters are the only characters in the series to appear in every chapter and that they do end up together.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1