• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
These characters are video game characters and not anime/manga character like let say Goku of DBZ or Naruto. I guess this is why DBFC may not get pick up in the US, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is the only exception.

Pretty much. As far as international marketing for video game-specific (rather than anime, manga, or LN-specific) characters in crossover games goes, my knowledge of video games is very sparse. I knew enough about Mario Kart and Gran Tourismo to at least have made that comment.

I'm glad that you provided links; the box cover art looks appealing, anyway. It's a shame I can't pick up yet another hobby. Squeezing in time to play DBFC alone will be something of a challenge for me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well as I mention above, we couldn't get Super Robot Wars (except the 2 OG game and Endless Frontier), and we couldn't get Jump Superstars or it's sequel.

However, the only character crossover video game that people in US were able to get were:

Chao Wars (which had characters from Shdowheart, Growlanser, Blazing Souls, Spectral Souls, Gungrave, and Code of the Samurai)

Cross Edge (which had characters from Darkstalkers, Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls Atelier Marie, and Mana Khemia)

Trinity Universe (which had characters from Disgaea, and Atelier series)

One exception is:

Tatsunoko vs Capcom (I heard bringing this game to the US wasn't easy according to interview with the producers, Seth Killian of Capcom USA has added more thing about bringing that game to the US)

So judging from only these 4 crossover games that got US release. These characters are video game characters and not anime/manga character like let say Goku of DBZ or Naruto. I guess this is why DBFC may not get pick up in the US, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is the only exception. But I ighly doubt this game would get pick up for US and outside of Asia.

You forgot Project X Zone.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga: Damn it, I forgot that one thanks for adding that. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Little_Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Hehe....DFC....hehehehe....
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Shouldn't it be DBFC?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
So judging from only these 4 crossover games that got US release. These characters are video game characters and not anime/manga character like let say Goku of DBZ or Naruto. I guess this is why DBFC may not get pick up in the US, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is the only exception. But I highly doubt this game would get pick up for US and outside of Asia.

Not sure if the recent Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS count, but in addition to Nintendo characters, there are cameos from Capcom, Namco, SEGA, and Ubisoft. (And possibly EA through Dr. Wright.) Again though, those are all video game characters, which makes legal issues much simpler.

Also, for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, one of the characters had to be excluded from the international release because the European rights holders to Bob in the Bottle adamantly refused to give Capcom permission to have him in the game.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Not sure if the recent Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS count, but in addition to Nintendo characters, there are cameos from Capcom, Namco, SEGA, and Ubisoft. (And possibly EA through Dr. Wright.) Again though, those are all video game characters, which makes legal issues much simpler.

Also, for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, one of the characters had to be excluded from the international release because the European rights holders to Bob in the Bottle adamantly refused to give Capcom permission to have him in the game.

As I said, anything with video game characters and not anime/manga characters are easy to bring hence Chaos War, Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, and Project X Zone got into the US without any complication because all of them had video game characters and not anime/manga characters. While Tatsunoko vs Capcom took 2 years to get a US and European release because of rights issue and it involve characters from anime and manga.

Now imagine DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, and all superhero comic book publisher wanted to make a crossover RPG video game in the style of Super Robot Wars and it got released and became popular (and a commercial success) in the US. Meanwhile fans of Spiderman and Batman in Japan want to have this game localized and translated because it has their favorite superheroes in it, but the problem is no companies can't release it because of rights complication. I could imagine a crossover RPG game with American superheroes couldn't get release in Japan because of that same situation that Super Robot Wars, and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax faced in the US market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
Not even that--I'd bet something like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion!! would be just as much of a nightmare to localize in other countries as different groups would be in charge of different franchises.

By the way, although not a video game, Heroclix is a tabletop game that IS pretty popular among comic book fans that has a lot of characters from all of those publishers. IDW is the only major publisher I can think of that doesn't have any Heroclix representation. I'd bet this game is stuck solely in North America because of rights issues.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Not even that--I'd bet something like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion!! would be just as much of a nightmare to localize in other countries as different groups would be in charge of different franchises.

No I did some investigation, that game got released in Europe, have a look:

It got released in Australia too. This game has gotten a Korean release, and there's an Asian edition also. But no Japanese version at all. Either Cartoon Network characters are not popular in Japan (which I highly doubt because Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory was very popular in Japan), or Japanese copyright law is more complicated then I thought. If it's copyright issues, then Japan really needs some copyright laws reform.

Quote:
By the way, although not a video game, Heroclix is a tabletop game that IS pretty popular among comic book fans that has a lot of characters from all of those publishers. IDW is the only major publisher I can think of that doesn't have any Heroclix representation. I'd bet this game is stuck solely in North America because of rights issues.

I don't know about this one, and I never heard of it until I look it up on Wikipedia. I don't have enough knowledge about Heroclix, so sorry I'm not aware of this.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:23 am Reply with quote
Whoa, that was a surprise. Punch Time Explosion! was pretty low-key in its release, and no one really seemed to care about this game so I couldn't find much information about it.

Regarding the status of Cartoon Network properties in Japan, I think it's more that besides a few shows, Cartoon Network's stuff just isn't popular in Japan. Heck, you barely have much foreign material on television for the reasons that Japan makes enough of its own stuff and that there is a high failure rate of shows brought to Japan from elsewhere. I'd bet Punch Time Explosion! would've bombed in Japan, considering it plays like a Smash Bros. clone with no polish or depth.

I don't know how much interest the Japanese has on tabletop games, but Heroclix is a lot like the Pokémon Trading Figure Game, as it involves rotating figurines making formations on a table. The Heroclix figurine quality, however, is awful. I doubt it'd catch on in Japan, where the standard for figurine quality is higher.

EDIT: I looked it up, and in addition to Marvel, DC, Image, Top Cow, Archie, and Dark Horse, it also has figurines from franchises owned by Warner Bros. (makes sense, as it owns DC), Microsoft, Ubisoft, EA, Konami, and whatever company owns the rights to Star Trek.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Whoa, that was a surprise. Punch Time Explosion! was pretty low-key in its release, and no one really seemed to care about this game so I couldn't find much information about it.

Regarding the status of Cartoon Network properties in Japan, I think it's more that besides a few shows, Cartoon Network's stuff just isn't popular in Japan. Heck, you barely have much foreign material on television for the reasons that Japan makes enough of its own stuff and that there is a high failure rate of shows brought to Japan from elsewhere. I'd bet Punch Time Explosion! would've bombed in Japan, considering it plays like a Smash Bros. clone with no polish or depth.

OK so using Cartoon Network crossover fighting game is not the best comparison.

So the only way if Japanese copyright laws are the barrier of releasing a crossover game in and out of Japan is for US to make a superhero crossover video game. As I said, If DC, Marvel, and all other comic book publisher teamed up with a developer to make a crossover superhero RPG video game that plays almost like Super Robot Wars, and the game had Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (which all of them have a big fanbases in Japan) in that game, and that crossover RPG couldn't get a localized release in Japan (but was able to get a release in other part of Asia like South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong) due to legal and copyright issues, then I can blame that on Japan's copyright laws.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:38 am Reply with quote
Seeing that list, I happen to own Cross Edge, Trinity Universe, Chaos Wars, Project X Zone and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. The only one I don't own is Endless Frontier sadly (can't seem to find a copy online for a decent price).
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump this thread and I might slightly go off topic, but it looks like J-Stars Victory VS+ (a crossover fighting game with Shonen Jump characters on PS3/PS4/Vita) will be getting a release in North America. Shocked

So maybe there's a chance this game could get a release outside of Japan, so looks like the impossible just became possible. My question is: How was a crossover fighting game like J-Stars Victory VS+ was able to get a release in North America without massive copyright/licensing issue?? Confused Can this be also applied to Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax?
Master Chief Snake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
I was talking about this game. This game is kind remind me of Persona 4 Arena game. I did posted back in SEGA forum before SEGA banned me for no reasons. They think I'm threaten, that's BS. Right now, I'm boycotting all of SEGA games due to banned me in SEGA forum. Then I'm supporting for TotalBiscuit (British video game critic and YouTube gamer) who also lost all of Shining Force III videos on YouTube along with other YouTubers who posted Shining (Force) series before TotalBiscuit and well as some of the other YouTubers who lost the Shining Force videos were boycotting SEGA for removing all of Shining Force series. But great news, SEGA will bring this game to outside of Japan including North America and Europe in around Summer 2015.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4