• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Sunao Katabuchi

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Never got around to Mai mai Miracle for obvious reasons, very much looking forward to that and this now. I love films that have real meaning and these two films seem to have that
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a really cool project that has the potential to yield a unique perspective of the time surrounding the war. However, I do find it interesting that Katabuchi, when interviewing the war survivors for research, seems more focused on the physical details of the landscape than their experience of the war.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
^ I always get the feeling around older Japanese people that WWII and the fallout from it is an incredibly painful subject and something that no one talks about. There are many Japanese alive today whose family members perished during the war and they were young enough at the time to remember experiencing that. It saddens me that, only in the past decade or two, have more and more stories been coming out where people are describing and sharing their experiences with others. From a western point of view, the idea of feeling this way for decades without talking to others about these feelings (either with family/friends or professionals) is an incredible burden.

This was a really interesting interview and I can see why Katabuchi would choose to focus on the imagery present instead of the sentiments of those living at the time.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Wait, Mai Mai Miracle was directed by the same guy who did Black Lagoon?

I mean I know he didn't make the source material or whatever, it might have just been a work for hire deal, but those are such wildly clashing tones it kind of blows my mind the same person did both.
lem

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"What we were aiming for is,"What did the world feel like back then?" But for what my point of view would be after that time, you would probably have to read the manga or see the movie to decide for yourself.

...When you cross that bridge, up in the sky more than 500 meters over it, that's where the atomic bomb hit. This story is back in 1934, ...

What they actually manage to capture on film for this time in history and how it must have felt back then will be interesting to see. It seems like the making of something that is going to be utterly heartbreaking? Truly life affirming and uplifting? or something else altogether?

Really want to see this one now.

*adds to the "movies to look forward to" list*

*wishes more of Fumiyo Kono's work was translated*
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this very much. I'm even more hyped about this than the new Hosoda movie.

I recommend everyone to read the Fumiyo Kouno's manga "Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms" which consists of three short stories that play some time after WWII in Japan. The first story is independent, the latter two are connected. All of them are very meaningful and very moving, definitely worth a read.

You will get a good impression of Kouno's style and her way of storytelling then.

Thanks for the interview, ANN! I actually though no one here really cares about this film, but I'm glad it's different.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
^ I wholeheartedly second this rec.

Great interview. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
After looking at this interview I am really looking forward to this upcoming movie, but also I am interested in reading the manga Sunao is directing. To bad I don't know Japanese to do that. I'm interested in seeing how he is going to capture the atmosphere of that time period.

Then there is this Mai Mai Miracle. I have not heard of this movie prior to reading this, so I never knew about kickstarter. Reading what the movie was about I really wish I had known about it, and then I could have supported it. I wanted to see this movie now. I guess I am going to have to import it. Sad

Blackiris_ wrote:

I recommend everyone to read the Fumiyo Kouno's manga "Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms" which consists of three short stories that play some time after WWII in Japan. The first story is independent, the latter two are connected. All of them are very meaningful and very moving, definitely worth a read.

You will get a good impression of Kouno's style and her way of storytelling then.

I will do that Blackiris. Another thing, looking up Fumiyo art her work is so beautiful and has this calm, old charm, aura to it. That and her character designs look adorable cute. Anime smile I might have found another artist that I would like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
macloud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
having had the chance to see the original manga version of this series when it was up on Jmanga [and the subsequent Evil or Very Mad INFINITE BURNING RAGEEvil or Very Mad when jmanga went down] Im glad to see that it'll be adapted into a film, as its predecessor town of evening calm, and hope that this could result in another western release somehow.
[YES LAST GASP COMICS I'M LOOKING AT YOU!!]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1